Take children out of school or not?

602sr

Inquire about independent study. For 5 days or more you can pull your child, as long as you sign a contract to complete the assignments. By doing this the school gets pay for your child and well, your kid can have perfect attendance. Many parents do a much better job teaching their children one on one than having them in a crowded class room.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Thanks - Do you know if that is true in all states? We're in WA...

Thanks - Do you know if that is true in all states? We're in WA...

I am not sure but check with the attendance clerk at the school. I work in my kids' school district and found out about independent study by accident. In my district, the contract is signed, and work is picked up from the office. Five days or more so if I only need 4 my attendance clerk will now mention IS, to avoid any hassle and the school gets pay. The teacher has to provide the work since these days are not counted as absences.

We live in California.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Much appreciated and many thanks!

We just booked the cruise this morning so now have only 2 weeks to figure out how to get the home schooling done while we are away! Contacting the school today about where to get the Teacher Expressions course books etc....

Much appreciated and many thanks!

We just booked the cruise this morning so now have only 2 weeks to figure out how to get the home schooling done while we are away! Contacting the school today about where to get the Teacher Expressions course books etc....

Check the school library to see if they have extra copies you can borrow.

Ours are missing 4 days this year for our Dec cruise. We guessed the date school would be out for the holiday this year thinking that they might only miss a day or two. That week typically is just busy work and parties really even at the high school so we are not concerned about it. They will be unexcused though which is always difficult. :mad:

We took ours out for the first time last year when they were in 4th and 6th grade. They got 4 unexcused absences because we did it the week of Columbus Day. Their teachers gave them classwork and didn't give them zeroes. My 6th grader had an extra project that her teachers assigned to her about her trip (plotting our route, figuring out math problems if she were to miss the ship and had to fly by helicopter to the first port, writing assignment). She also did a PowerPoint presentation on the trip destinations after for social studies. It was a lot of work on the front end and back end. She has more assignments now that she's in 7th grade so I don't know if we'll do it again. We had an awesome family vacation though!

I'm planning on taking my son out of school for a few days around Thanksgiving. He will miss a total of 4 days for our 8 day cruise. I don't find this an issue as he can make up the work and that is usually a slow time at school.
We've done six cruises with DD from when she was in second grade through her freshman year (one year "off") . Our school district ALWAYS has an early release the Friday before T.giving and then has Wed, Thurs and Fri off - that gives us 10 days with her only missing 2.5 days of school.

It corralates to the Deer Gun Hunting season and since Wisconsin has a law that lets 10YO hunt :eek:, a lot of kids are missing school to go on their family's hunt. So DD is not the only one missing. DD gets "make up" work and usually finds that she is ahead of the classes when she gets back because the classes have not been able to keep on schedule (holiday stuff going on, lots of kids out, etc.)

Good planning can minimize any impact to your kid's education.

It depends on where you live and what the policy is. My sister takes her three children out of school for vacation and it is up to the student to get their home work from their teachers and it is due on the day they return. I know that last year we went to Myrtle Beach, SC and the residence their told us that in SC you are not allowed to take your children out of school.

well, there is a strict policy here. 3 consecutive days missed and they will call you in for a meeting to devise a plan to not miss school! 5 total unexcused days and they also call you in. Excused and unexcused is at the discretion of the principal. DS principal for elementary school does not excuse family vacations, but other local school principals due. Took DS for week long cruise in first grade. His teacher did not even require him to make up work. I did get the call for the meeting and went. It was a joke and I would not sign a plan. If I take my kids out of school for vacation again and get called for the meeting, I would call to state I won't be attending. There isn't anything they can do unless you have 10 unexcused days.

Strange how it varies so much. We're pulling our Kindergarten and 2nd grade kids out for 8 weeks and they are supportive. We are actually un-enrolling them, signing up to home school, and then re-enrolling on return. Teachers have supplied the teach course books and student books and we've found tons of material online for home schooling.

Principal is super supportive of the once in a lifetime opportunity we've been given from work to take a sabbatical.

It is incredible how much it varies by state and school district. Part of this, I believe, is the way the schools are funded in each state. Our state has count days, rather than counting attendance every day to determine funding. Some of the difference might also have to do with whether the district has a general problem with truancy and irresponsible parents. Our district does not and generally has very high expectations for parental involvement and a lot of trust in parents' judgment.

Not only was everyone supportive and encouraging when we took the kids out for five days, but I've witnessed a parent walk into the middle school office and explain apologetically that his child would be overseas for the last several weeks of school, and the secretary smiled and told him to just remember to let the teachers know.

I'm going to address this from both sides of the fence: a parent with a middle-school-age daughter and as a recently-retired high school teacher. From the point of view of the school, as long as your child's standardized test scores are in line with state standards, you're fine. If your child is in any kind of jeopardy, conduct or academics, the teachers will generally be happy to see one less student for the length of your cruise. Administrators don't really care, and I wouldn't go overboard (no intended pun) explaining that you're taking your kid on the kind of vacation they wish THEY could go on. Write a simple note saying something about "family matters" and give the dates. That's it. As a parent who's traveled on several cruises with my kid, I don't mind rewarding my kid for being outstanding by allowing her to miss a few days here and there. I'll re-state the obvious--find out what work has to be turned in, provide resources to get work done on vacation, propose alternative assignments and hold your kid accountable.

I have taken my kids out of school to go on a Disney Cruise. It was just too expensive to go at a time school was not in session. I have also done this for other vacations but I usually plan it around a long weekend so they don't miss more than 3 days at a time. We also take work to do in the car since we like to drive to cruise ports. Our school did not have a problem with it. They were excited for the kids that they had the opportunity to go on a Disney Cruise. And it was the best cruise ever!

We have 3 school age children that will be missing 6 days. They are 17, 11 & 9. We are sending notes in for the younger ones requesting any work they can do while we are gone & the older one will ask for his work himself. If we want to go on vacation, we do. If it happens to fall on a week they have vacation time, great, otherwise we have no issues pulling them out.

I am terribly sorry but I must respectfully disagree with the many posts here encouraging parents to remove children from school. As a parent and retired teacher, I find it very irresponsible to remove children from school for a vacation for a variety of reasons! Although one may think the younger the child, the less harm but in reality there is quite a bit that can be missed by all ages.

Then there are those asking the teacher to create a work package for their child so they don't miss out on the work, so now you are expecting the teacher to not only put in more time creating the package but then go through the package with the child after everyone else has moved on. And yes this IS extra work and if its just one student, it may not be a burden but when it becomes one this week and one next month etc etc then it becomes extremely disruptive. That is just pure selfishness. And please don't jump on the "thats what you're paid to do" bandwagon because we are NOT paid to teach one child at a time. We are NOT paid to treat any child differently than any other. Most definitely, we are NOT paid as much as you think for as many hours as we put in. I and most of my coworkers routinely put in 10-12 hour days in addition to funneling much of our own money to supply our classrooms. And yes we do this happily. Most teachers are there because they love the children and the job.

These days school districts all over provide many opportunities for vacation throughout the year and yet we are routinely taken advantage of by parents expecting us to not only do our job but theirs as well! Do you even remember what it was like when you were in school? It doesn't stop because someone misses a day, a week, a month. It continues with new material daily.

Are you thinking about the message you are sending your child? Do you realize that you are in essence telling your children that school is not important. It's okay to just up and leave whenever you want. It's okay when you come back if you don't know the work, the teacher will of course come in early, work through their lunch and/or stay late in order for you to catch up because they of course don't have a family or a life, their only job is to cater to you! But of course the strongest lesson you are teaching them is that they are special and do not need to follow the rules.

Don't get me wrong, I think being able to show your children new cultures, history, geography, customs and languages is extremely invaluable to them but honestly if you can go this week, you can go another week when they have a scheduled vacation.

Yes I expect I have offended many parents and although it wasn't my intention to do so, before you jump down my throat, take a breath and figure out why you are truly upset. Have I hit a nerve? Do you consider yourself so important that you can do what you want when you want no matter how it affects others? Well I'm so sorry but you're not!

I am terribly sorry but I must respectfully disagree with the many posts here encouraging parents to remove children from school. As a parent and retired teacher, I find it very irresponsible to remove children from school for a vacation for a variety of reasons! Although one may think the younger the child, the less harm but in reality there is quite a bit that can be missed by all ages.

Then there are those asking the teacher to create a work package for their child so they don't miss out on the work, so now you are expecting the teacher to not only put in more time creating the package but then go through the package with the child after everyone else has moved on. And yes this IS extra work and if its just one student, it may not be a burden but when it becomes one this week and one next month etc etc then it becomes extremely disruptive. That is just pure selfishness. And please don't jump on the "thats what you're paid to do" bandwagon because we are NOT paid to teach one child at a time. We are NOT paid to treat any child differently than any other. Most definitely, we are NOT paid as much as you think for as many hours as we put in. I and most of my coworkers routinely put in 10-12 hour days in addition to funneling much of our own money to supply our classrooms. And yes we do this happily. Most teachers are there because they love the children and the job.

These days school districts all over provide many opportunities for vacation throughout the year and yet we are routinely taken advantage of by parents expecting us to not only do our job but theirs as well! Do you even remember what it was like when you were in school? It doesn't stop because someone misses a day, a week, a month. It continues with new material daily.

Are you thinking about the message you are sending your child? Do you realize that you are in essence telling your children that school is not important. It's okay to just up and leave whenever you want. It's okay when you come back if you don't know the work, the teacher will of course come in early, work through their lunch and/or stay late in order for you to catch up because they of course don't have a family or a life, their only job is to cater to you! But of course the strongest lesson you are teaching them is that they are special and do not need to follow the rules.

Don't get me wrong, I think being able to show your children new cultures, history, geography, customs and languages is extremely invaluable to them but honestly if you can go this week, you can go another week when they have a scheduled vacation.

Yes I expect I have offended many parents and although it wasn't my intention to do so, before you jump down my throat, take a breath and figure out why you are truly upset. Have I hit a nerve? Do you consider yourself so important that you can do what you want when you want no matter how it affects others? Well I'm so sorry but you're not!

Our teachers don't feel this way, thankfully. :D They seem to think it's a great opportunity. One teacher said his vacations as a child were always during the school year. My kids find that, in elementary school, the same concepts are repeated over and over until they are bored out of their minds. That goes back to not being able to treat children as individuals who work and learn at different paces, I guess. The only make-up work mine have been given have been handouts that all the children were required to do in class or as homework. If they had questions, I answered them. No one had to teach them at lunch, or after school.

We have two weeks at Christmas, one week at spring break, and the summer. I will not take the kids on a trip over Christmas, thus depriving their grandparents of their holiday presence. My husband works long hours most summers, plus we're not fond of high humidity and hurricanes. Spring break is often Good Friday/Easter week, which would mean crazy crowds and missing the most important church holy days of the year.

Fortunately for us, none of the teachers my children had growing up felt like you do about family vacations and they all encouraged us, sometimes assigning special projects for them to come back and share with the class. Some of their work was made up ahead of time, some after, and some times it was an extra project just for them. I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but IMHO it comes with the job of teaching. Just like I, an Accounting Manager, can't schedule any vacations the first 2 weeks of any month because of my closing schedules and deadlines. I also know that most of my work will be waiting for me when I return as there are only a few things I can give to other employees to help with. I also pick up extra work from my co-workers when they are on vacation and I don't get paid extra for working some extra hours to do so...and I don't complain like you do, it's part of my job. I'm not offended by your post....I just think you may be the selfish one in your reaction (how dare anyone impose on ME). Get over it, it's part of a teachers job, especially when the school allows it.

Taking kids out of school for a vacation does not send the message to the kids that school is not important...unless the child does not make up the work (which is the parents responsibility to enforce). In our home the work was done, sometimes at an extra cost to the kids, and their grades did not suffer. IMHO that shows responsibility on their part. Just like when I go on vacation and I still have deadlines that have to be met while I am gone. I make sure those deadlines are met before I leave. That's the value I want my kids to learn....not the value that sitting in a classroom is the most important part of education. It's not...it's learning the material and getting the work done, and that does not always have to happen in a classroom.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Our teachers don't feel this way, thankfully. :D They seem to think it's a great opportunity. One teacher said his vacations as a child were always during the school year. My kids find that, in elementary school, the same concepts are repeated over and over until they are bored out of their minds. That goes back to not being able to treat children as individuals who work and learn at different paces, I guess. The only make-up work mine have been given have been handouts that all the children were required to do in class or as homework. If they had questions, I answered them. No one had to teach them at lunch, or after school.

We have two weeks at Christmas, one week at spring break, and the summer. I will not take the kids on a trip over Christmas, thus depriving their grandparents of their holiday presence. My husband works long hours most summers, plus we're not fond of high humidity and hurricanes. Spring break is often Good Friday/Easter week, which would mean crazy crowds and missing the most important church holy days of the year.

I too think its a great opportunity and its fortunate you can supply this experience for your children. I am saddened to hear that your schools "bore" your children. It is fortunate that you can answer any questions they may have at this time, yet I doubt a few handouts cover everything that was taught during the time they were gone. If that is truly the case, you may seriously want to consider a better school or supplemental educational services.

As for your other reasons for pulling your child, I commend you on the fact of not wanting to deprive the grandparents of their time. As for the summer, high humidity and hurricanes do not exist everywhere. There are plenty of places to cruise where the weather is much more comfortable and safe. As for the religion issue, that's a personal and very contentious issue for many people and as such I will not debate that one.

Part of being a good parent is knowing that when we have children, we must change our lifestyles, put our children first, before our wants and needs to give them a good start in life. We all make choices of what is more important - family, religion, vacations, education. We all divide our time between these but to put education last is terrible mistake IMHO.

I too think its a great opportunity and its fortunate you can supply this experience for your children. I am saddened to hear that your schools "bore" your children. It is fortunate that you can answer any questions they may have at this time, yet I doubt a few handouts cover everything that was taught during the time they were gone. If that is truly the case, you may seriously want to consider a better school or supplemental educational services.

As for your other reasons for pulling your child, I commend you on the fact of not wanting to deprive the grandparents of their time. As for the summer, high humidity and hurricanes do not exist everywhere. There are plenty of places to cruise where the weather is much more comfortable and safe. As for the religion issue, that's a personal and very contentious issue for many people and as such I will not debate that one.

Part of being a good parent is knowing that when we have children, we must change our lifestyles, put our children first, before our wants and needs to give them a good start in life. We all make choices of what is more important - family, religion, vacations, education. We all divide our time between these but to put education last is terrible mistake IMHO.

I don't see that as putting education last. You seem to be of the firm belief that knowledge can only be gained by sitting in the classroom. I disagree. Just look at all the online courses that are being offered now. Just last week my DD(16) was struggling with a Chemistry concept that the teacher was failing to help her understand. She did her own research on-line and was able to find a site that did help her understand. They had a quiz on it yesterday. She passed, almost everyone else in the class failed. Teachers are a great and valuable resourse when they work with the kids to help them understand the concepts they need to learn, but they are not the only way for kids to learn those concepts...

I have a high regard for teachers, my Grandmother and Aunt were both wonderful teachers and I had some great ones growing up. My DD is thinking about becoming an elementary teacher. But I don't believe that they are the only way for children to learn and missing a week of school, especially in elementary and early middle school, will not harm them as much as you seem to think it will. My DS(19) graduated in the top 10% of his senior class and is now excelling in a local University (a half semester ahead of his peers as he was dual enrolled his senior year) and DD(16) is an A average student in high school. They were able to learn the material missed during those early years on week long vacations and they did not suffer for it. I'm willing to bet that they have a lot of memories of those weeks on vacation and the kids that were sitting in class that week, remember very little, if any, of what was taught during that week.

I too am thankful our teaches are supportive of family vacations. If for a moment I thought our teachers or principal felt that way I would be a little uncomfortable, but would probably proceed anyway. To my knowledge no teacher has ever had to work through lunch or during a break due to my family's vacation. And we travel every year in the fall and have for at least 4 years of being in school. Family time is important, memories are what you live and grow on. With two working parents, are you never to take a vacation, because then we too are missing time from work. I work in a hospital, so we never close. When exactly are we suppose to do that? My kids know school is their "work" and you work hard before and after a vacation just as their dad and I go with our jobs. Life lessons are learned with travel, and that is not something that can be taught in a classroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't see that as putting education last. You seem to be of the firm belief that knowledge can only be gained by sitting in the classroom. I disagree. Just look at all the online courses that are being offered now. Just last week my DD(16) was struggling with a Chemistry concept that the teacher was failing to help her understand. She did her own research on-line and was able to find a site that did help her understand. They had a quiz on it yesterday. She passed, almost everyone else in the class failed. Teachers are a great and valuable resourse when they work with the kids to help them understand the concepts they need to learn, but they are not the only way for kids to learn those concepts...

I have a high regard for teachers, my Grandmother and Aunt were both wonderful teachers and I had some great ones growing up. My DD is thinking about becoming an elementary teacher. But I don't believe that they are the only way for children to learn and missing a week of school, especially in elementary and early middle school, will not harm them as much as you seem to think it will. My DS(19) graduated in the top 10% of his senior class and is now excelling in a local University (a half semester ahead of his peers as he was dual enrolled his senior year) and DD(16) is an A average student in high school. They were able to learn the material missed during those early years on week long vacations and they did not suffer for it. I'm willing to bet that they have a lot of memories of those weeks on vacation and the kids that were sitting in class that week, remember very little, if any, of what was taught during that week.

Great post.

Fortunately for us, none of the teachers my children had growing up felt like you do about family vacations and they all encouraged us, sometimes assigning special projects for them to come back and share with the class. Some of their work was made up ahead of time, some after, and some times it was an extra project just for them. I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but IMHO it comes with the job of teaching. Just like I, an Accounting Manager, can't schedule any vacations the first 2 weeks of any month because of my closing schedules and deadlines. I also know that most of my work will be waiting for me when I return as there are only a few things I can give to other employees to help with. I also pick up extra work from my co-workers when they are on vacation and I don't get paid extra for working some extra hours to do so...and I don't complain like you do, it's part of my job. I'm not offended by your post....I just think you may be the selfish one in your reaction (how dare anyone impose on ME). Get over it, it's part of a teachers job, especially when the school allows it.

Taking kids out of school for a vacation does not send the message to the kids that school is not important...unless the child does not make up the work (which is the parents responsibility to enforce). In our home the work was done, sometimes at an extra cost to the kids, and their grades did not suffer. IMHO that shows responsibility on their part. Just like when I go on vacation and I still have deadlines that have to be met while I am gone. I make sure those deadlines are met before I leave. That's the value I want my kids to learn....not the value that sitting in a classroom is the most important part of education. It's not...it's learning the material and getting the work done, and that does not always have to happen in a classroom.

First, I am glad that you take responsibility for making sure your children make up the work. I agree it shows responsibility for getting things done. I also agree that not all education happens sitting in a classroom. My point was not the value of sitting in a classroom, it was directed at following the rules. The rule of law that states a child must attend school on a regular basis or they will be considered truant. And yes I know there are exceptions and special considerations. However, just as we must attend work on a regular basis to be paid or we will lose our jobs, so must children attend school so as to learn and not fall behind. There are many lessons taught in school beyond what can be put down on a handout.

As for your attack on me, I'm sorry you feel I was complaining as that was not my intention to give that impression. You cannot compare a teaching job to a desk job. I have had both. Yes your work is there when you return. It is NOT the same in a classroom. The only thing that piles up when I miss a day is the grading. The lessons must be taught in sequence and there is a specific amount of context that must be taught within a specific amount of time(whether that be a semester, quarter or school year). As an accountant you knew BEFORE you took your job that there were certain things that would impose on your time. Certain periods that would require extra time and work such as tax time. Just as I knew when I worked in the tech field that I would be required to spend many extra hours when new releases or patches were released. As a teacher, I knew I was required to put in extra time on committees, standardized testing & scoring as well as for my particular field, having to spend weeks in the summer keeping my education up to date for my students. I knew what was required both in and out of the classroom and did these without issue or complaint.

It is not me thats being selfish - it's you. I would never presume to tell you or anyone else what encompasses their job parameters. So you feel because a school administrator "allows" something that it now becomes my job? You are sadly mistaken. A school may allow something but it does not equate to becoming someone else's responsibility. We as teachers do this as a courtesy. No administrator has ever required any of my coworkers or myself to accommodate these requests. We do it as a courtesy. It is NOT part of our job. By telling me to "get over it" just proves my point of how you think you are somehow better than me, more entitled. That I should give up my family time to accommodate your needs. And THAT is exactly the message you are teaching your children! IMHO

First, I am glad that you take responsibility for making sure your children make up the work. I agree it shows responsibility for getting things done. I also agree that not all education happens sitting in a classroom. My point was not the value of sitting in a classroom, it was directed at following the rules. The rule of law that states a child must attend school on a regular basis or they will be considered truant. And yes I know there are exceptions and special considerations. However, just as we must attend work on a regular basis to be paid or we will lose our jobs, so must children attend school so as to learn and not fall behind. There are many lessons taught in school beyond what can be put down on a handout.

As for your attack on me, I'm sorry you feel I was complaining as that was not my intention to give that impression. You cannot compare a teaching job to a desk job. I have had both. Yes your work is there when you return. It is NOT the same in a classroom. The only thing that piles up when I miss a day is the grading. The lessons must be taught in sequence and there is a specific amount of context that must be taught within a specific amount of time(whether that be a semester, quarter or school year). As an accountant you knew BEFORE you took your job that there were certain things that would impose on your time. Certain periods that would require extra time and work such as tax time. Just as I knew when I worked in the tech field that I would be required to spend many extra hours when new releases or patches were released. As a teacher, I knew I was required to put in extra time on committees, standardized testing & scoring as well as for my particular field, having to spend weeks in the summer keeping my education up to date for my students. I knew what was required both in and out of the classroom and did these without issue or complaint.

It is not me thats being selfish - it's you. I would never presume to tell you or anyone else what encompasses their job parameters. So you feel because a school administrator "allows" something that it now becomes my job? You are sadly mistaken. A school may allow something but it does not equate to becoming someone else's responsibility. We as teachers do this as a courtesy. No administrator has ever required any of my coworkers or myself to accommodate these requests. We do it as a courtesy. It is NOT part of our job. By telling me to "get over it" just proves my point of how you think you are somehow better than me, more entitled. That I should give up my family time to accommodate your needs. And THAT is exactly the message you are teaching your children! IMHO

I beg to disagree, in our school it is the teachers responsibility and part of their job. From our handbook:

EXCUSED ABSENCES

A student may be excused for an absence or tardiness under the following conditions:

3. Participation in activities outside of the school program having an educational value, including family trips, providing the arrangements for a Pre-Excused Form has been completed and approved by the office. These days will be excused if the proper arrangements are made.

HOME WORK POLICY

A student who is absent for a valid reason is permitted to make up the work he/she has missed. It is the student’s responsibility to meet with the teacher the first day back to school to get the missed assignments. Homework is due at the next meeting of the class or at the teacher’s discretion.

All homework must be turned in by the due date established by the teacher.

If an assignment was given before the absence occurred, the student is responsible for turning in the assignment upon his/her return to school. For example, if an assignment was given on Wednesday and is due on Thursday and the student is absent on Thursday, it is expected that the assignment will be turned in the day the student returned to school.

Teachers are not required to help students make up work if an absence is unexcused.

Tests or quizzes missed due to an excused absence are to be made up outside of class time. One day for make up will be given for each day of excused absence.

Everytime we took our kids out for a weeks vacation we followed these rules. There was no rule breaking. We had all family vacations pre-approved and excused which meant that it was, according to the rules above, the teachers responsibility to get them the make up work and assign a due date. It was the kids responsibility to meet with teacher to get their work and get it done on time.

It's kind of funny to think that DH and I, who both were excellent students and have post-graduate degrees, put education last. Somehow, I still managed to be h.s. valedictorian and later earn a full-ride scholarship to law school, despite missing a week of sixth grade for Disney World. :rolleyes:

Our kids are actually in a top-rated school. Unfortunately, it's lacking in "gifted" programs for kids who learn quickly, mostly due to funding. My darling DD read Harry Potter in the summer after first grade, so sadly she's sometimes bored at school. But she loves science and has an awesome teacher who takes them outside to observe nature. She also learned about Mayan ruins and life in Central America on our cruise. Maybe I just have a broader view of education?

Oh no, I'm terribly sorry that I have given you the wrong impression on classrooms and education. I do NOT believe the classroom is the only form of education. Not by a long shot. I firmly believe education can be found everywhere and in everything. There are so many opportunities for everyone to learn everyday. I myself, personally make it a point to continue to learn, to challenge myself. Many students, do not and cannot acquire all of what they need from classrooms.

I am sorry your DD was struggling and her teacher was unable to explain the concepts. I'm sorry her teacher didn't refer her to another teacher that may have been able to explain it in a different way. My oldest son, struggled with "the new math" many years ago until I showed him the base ten model that I was taught. It matters not how one can get to the solution, it only matters that they can get to it, understand it, explain it and get to it again. I am very happy to hear your DD was able to find a solution and I applaud her creativity in searching and even more for her tenacity to not give up. Unfortunately your children are the exception, not the rule. I have seen so many students give up when presented with this same scenario. I have counseled many of my students struggling with other subjects to do exactly what your DD has done, to not give up. You are fortunate that your children were able to excel even while missing their classroom lessons but please try to understand, I am not trying to vilify any one parent or child. Every child is different, every child learns at a different pace. Some can handle missing school but most cannot. Some parents can help their children with homework and missed assignments, most cannot.

Again, I wasn't trying to say that the classroom was/is the only place for education. It is Not. My point, which has unfortunately gotten lost in translation was that schools provide adequate vacation time periods (too much time off IMHO, but that's another issue not meant for here). My point was that, I don't think parents are realizing the type of messages they are imparting to their children when they just arbitrarily remove their children to satisfy their needs of coming and going whenever they want without regards to how it may affect others, in this case the teachers, the school and education in general. It devalues the importance of education in schools and the teachers that provide it. In many cultures, teachers and education are much more respected and valued. Here, we seem to expect that they are there to serve, to change and modify their situations at the bequest of a small group of parents who do not wish, for whatever reason to follow the rules that everyone else follows. Having the monetary availability and time to give your children the opportunity to see and experience the world around us is wonderful and I'm sure your children just as mine have come away with some amazing experiences and invaluable educational experiences. It's the hidden lessons and attitude that worries me more.