Take children out of school or not?

602sr

We're taking out 7th grade daughter out of school this fall. But we consulted the school calendar to find a week that would have the least amount of impact. We chose fall conference week that also includes an in-service day so she will only miss two days that week.

We're taking out 7th grade daughter out of school this fall. But we consulted the school calendar to find a week that would have the least amount of impact. We chose fall conference week that also includes an in-service day so she will only miss two days that week.

That's a great way to do it. Good planning.

Whew...lots of opinions here! I am a high school teacher and a parent of an elementary school student. Soooo here is one more opinion. I think elementary kids can miss a week of school, especially if parents tell their kids how much they value school rather than proclaim that they, "can do whatever they please with their offspring". In the US, I would check with school to see when standardized testing is going on and avoid that time if possible. In some cases a "non-taken" test counts as a zero for the district. Don't you want your darling genius to up the district score? Surely you don't want your vacation to negatively impact the district scores (and your property values). Sometimes tests can be made up early or late. As you hit higher grades, it is more of a problem. Remember when you gave things up for your toddler? You may need to revisit that thought process. Missing a week of high end High School is tough and may require some sacrifices...much like those toddler years, this too shall pass.

No, couldn't care less and this is the week that will least impact the child. It's two weeks of mostly review for the test, after weeks of teaching to it.

OP- check for any sport activity. My DS missed a day in school last week for her brother's college move-in. We had to get her back in time for her after school dance program. She is only allowed to have 2 absences. Also, check out Independent Study. You can pull your child for 5 days or more, as long as you sign a contract that all worked will be completed. The child is not counted as absent during Independent Study. The district gets the ADA and you child could get PERFECT ATTENDANCE. We have done IS twice, without any hassle from anyone. The second time we extended the absence to 5 days to fulfill the IS requirement and avoid the usual hassle. For IS the teachers are REQUIRED to provide the work to the attendance clerk, so no messing with the teachers. Attendance is about money, testing is about the district, so your child can be a pawn in the game. You don't have to play it, especially if you are on top of the child about work.

The ideal is Independent Study, if offered, but during testing, not much work missed to be made up.

Edited by Blk_Amish

NO. I don't and won't take my kids out of school to cruise.

Reasons:

• My kids like school and don't want to miss.
  • My kids are on sports teams as well as other extra curricula activities which they believe won't function without their participation.
  • My kids prefer to socialize with their friends and not their parents.
  • I prefer socializing with my husband and not my teenager kids.
  • I have plenty of memories and pictures of them from around here.
  • Its my vacation and I need a vacation.
  • My kids tend to think everything revolves around them and it frequently does.
  • I spend enough money on them during the rest of the year. This is my opportunity to pamper myself.
  • They will appreciate their dad and I more when we get back. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Maybe.

:rolleyes:

So the kids stay with Grandma and Grandpa during a holiday week while hubby and I travel.

Edited by candycaramel

NO. I don't and won't take my kids out of school to cruise.

Reasons:

• My kids like school and don't want to miss.
  • My kids are on sports teams as well as other extra curricula activities which they believe won't function without their participation.
  • My kids prefer to socialize with their friends and not their parents.
  • I prefer socializing with my husband and not my teenager kids.
  • I have plenty of memories and pictures of them from around here.
  • Its my vacation and I need a vacation.
  • My kids tend to think everything revolves around them and it frequently does.
  • I spend enough money on them during the rest of the year. This is my opportunity to pamper myself.
  • They will appreciate their dad and I more when we get back. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Maybe.

:rolleyes:

So the kids stay with Grandma and Grandpa during a holiday week while hubby and I travel.

LOL- I second this post. I keep reading vacation is family time, heck my kids entire year is one huge vacation with a cook, maid, banker, and chauffeur. We take ours with us most times, with the clear understanding, I work for this vacation, I dream of this vacation, I saved for this vacation, and unlike them who don't have jobs, I need this vacation. It's not our vacation it's mine. My in-laws help out when he opt not to travel with them.

As not to stress over the work and the bull from the district we opt for Independent Study. With a signed contract, the work is provided without question or hassle.

Edited by Blk_Amish

This!! Except my dd is much younger only 5!!

We asked our 3 kids this summer , a hs senior, freshman and 7th grader, if they wanted to do a short cruise before the HS disney band trip in april. We were going to do it on Thr and friday before april break. The 2 HS kids said no, as they didnt want to deal with make up work after vacation. For us, that sealed the deal to not going. If your kids are older, it might be a good idea to ask them before deciding.

Just my 2 cents

I am a firm believer that a real world experience trumps school. In the grand scheme of things, taking your kids out of school for a week or 2 (or even a month) isn't going to have a major impact. Sure, there will be some things missed and some catching up to do, but they'll be back and up to speed in no time. Even if impacts their grades, unless their in their final years of high school where grades really matter, I wouldn't sweat it. They're you're kids, and you're the parent. The principal works for YOU.

Don't any of you move to the UK in a hurry. I will be fined for the week my son misses in January!! It's £60 per child per week but still much cheaper than cruising over Christmas and NY!!

All holidays, even long weekends, are automatically unauthorised absence.

Don't any of you move to the UK in a hurry. I will be fined for the week my son misses in January!! It's £60 per child per week but still much cheaper than cruising over Christmas and NY!!

All holidays, even long weekends, are automatically unauthorised absence.

Oh eventually the government finds a way to make those who can afford to cruise pay, with college tuition plus room and board. You booked a cruise for $200 and now they believe you can afford $20,000 per year at a state university, times a couple of kids:eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

My daughters school thanked us for the heads up that she would be absent. Her school district has a strict policy on attendance, 8 days for the entire year. They do not count family vacations as long as they are approved/notified in advanced.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

this is our third year in a row of taking the girls out of school (this year 5th and 1st grades). we always tell the teachers about vacation as soon as school starts, and we have not had any problems. the 5th grade teacher said she doesn't care as long as it is not during MAP testing time (state based testing) :) we generaly pull them for 5-7 days.

i completly agree that travel is an excelent form of education, and in general better life lessons than what they receive in a classrom. Plus there is only a small window where our kids will want to/be able to travel with us to be able to create these memories...got to do it while you can!!

Amanda

I am nervous about approaching the schools about this. As much as I would have loved to have them take the cruise when school session was off, I have a major surgery coming up with a long recovery ahead, and I wanted to have this special moment/memory with our kids before the surgery.

You are not the average person wanting to save money by taking children on vacation during the off season. Yes, yes, yes. Take your children now and just make arrangements with the school for them to make up the missed work.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by 6rugrats

In actuality, it all comes down to how well the child can handle missed schoolwork. Before leaving, the child has to ask their teacher(s) what their plan is for the time that they'll be missing class and collect all of the work that's available. Elementary school & middle school should be no problem at all. Simply type up a letter containing the details of when the child will be missing school, sign it & hand it to the office. Honestly, the office/principal don't really care as long as the kid comes back LOL. (really, there's nothing the school can do about it if you decide to pull your child out of school to go on vacation)

Advice for the child: notify your teacher(s) a week before you leave (at least) so they'll have time to prepare any necessary material beforehand.

Advice for parents: If you're going to be pulling your child out of school for vacation, do it as much as you can while they're still young (ie. under the age of 15, school isn't hard yet) before that luxury is no longer available. After Gr.11 or 12, school starts to actually become difficult so be aware.

I am a student who will be in Gr. 12 this coming September and I've skipped plenty of school for vacations, yet I am still able to withhold a 4.0 GPA. So I don't think any students below Gr. 10 should have any issues with missing a bit of school for a family vacation. ;)

This November, I'll be missing 9 school days. && I'm taking AP Chemistry + Chemistry 12 Honours and a whole bunch of other stuff ^^ I also missed 5 school days in March for a cruise while I was taking AP French 12 & Chemistry Honours 11 LOL. So good luck to me in November! :D :D :D

(Note: I live in Canada, in case the rules are different in other places around the world)

Edited by lovely_serenity

As a teacher, a mom, and a former kid whose parents pulled me for vacation...I wouldn't hesitate to take a child out of school for a memory making trip. When your child is an adult, I guarantee, he/she won't remember that one week (or 10 days, or whatever) of school, but they WILL remember that family trip, and very likely a thing or two about the place they visited. Just ask the school to provide a make-up packet (a good thing to do on the plane or quiet times on the ship).

Any thoughts on pulling kids (kindergarten and 2nd grade - both doing above average) out for 8 weeks? I was just offered a once in a life time sabbatical for work and my family live in New Zealand. There is a cruise leaving shortly for 41 nights Seattle to Auckland that we're tempted to take and home school from the schools work books over that time frame. Principal is supportive but I am concerned.

Interesting thread here... a few years ago I spoke to my children's principal well in advance to let him know my children would miss a week of school for a family trip that would also be educational. My kids on average miss only 1 or 2 days a year for other reasons, and have maintained decent grades. I did not expect this to be a problem at all. Well it was! In our school district missed time for vacation is unexcused and they do not give your children any school work, or help them catch up. He was very curt in explaining this to me. I did it anyway, and they were just fine. Now, I don't tell the school why my kids are absent. I simply send a note that they will be out of school for X dates. I would not let them miss school if their grades were not stable, or if they had missed several days for other reasons. And usually it is not a full week, it is a couple of days prior to school break or a few days into the week after school break. (airfare during school break is crazy expensive, so we leave just ahead or come back just after the week, but again they miss a total of two days usually.)

Any thoughts on pulling kids (kindergarten and 2nd grade - both doing above average) out for 8 weeks? I was just offered a once in a life time sabbatical for work and my family live in New Zealand. There is a cruise leaving shortly for 41 nights Seattle to Auckland that we're tempted to take and home school from the schools work books over that time frame. Principal is supportive but I am concerned.

If it was me I would do it without hesitation.

Principal is supportive

Kids are in elementary school doing above average work

You are willing to take the time to home school

No brainer to me....I'd go for it.

Thanks good to hear the feedback! Just feels strange pulling them out for 8-10 weeks but I'm never going to get a chance like this again until I retire and the kids won't be 5 and 7 then!

Tempered with that I'll be leaving work in the middle of a big re-org so who knows what job I will return to. However, after 13 years, that is also another reason it is a good time to take a sabbatical since there is a short lived lull right now... I didn't think taking a sabbatical would be this tough of a decision though!

Interesting thread here... a few years ago I spoke to my children's principal well in advance to let him know my children would miss a week of school for a family trip that would also be educational. My kids on average miss only 1 or 2 days a year for other reasons, and have maintained decent grades. I did not expect this to be a problem at all. Well it was! In our school district missed time for vacation is unexcused and they do not give your children any school work, or help them catch up. He was very curt in explaining this to me. I did it anyway, and they were just fine. Now, I don't tell the school why my kids are absent. I simply send a note that they will be out of school for X dates. I would not let them miss school if their grades were not stable, or if they had missed several days for other reasons. And usually it is not a full week, it is a couple of days prior to school break or a few days into the week after school break. (airfare during school break is crazy expensive, so we leave just ahead or come back just after the week, but again they miss a total of two days usually.)

This is what I'm worried about as well. My son will only miss 3 days and he's a good student but I know it's going to be a fight with our principal as our district is pretty strict about absences in high school (if you have more than 6 absences in a semester you fail the class, regardless of your grade in the class). But I want to teach my son to do the right thing so I want to be honest about why he'll miss school. I'm still debating about what to say but I'm thinking "less is best".

Edited by LadyDAC

This is what I'm worried about as well. My son will only miss 3 days and he's a good student but I know it's going to be a fight with our principal as our district is pretty strict about absences in high school (if you have more than 6 absences in a semester you fail the class, regardless of your grade in the class). But I want to teach my son to do the right thing so I want to be honest about why he'll miss school. I'm still debating about what to say but I'm thinking "less is best".

Wow, are you serious? That's pretty extreme! Where are you guys from? That is completely unheard of in western Canada. When we want to skip school, we just tell our teachers when we're leaving, get work from them, and hand a note in to the office explaining when we're going to be leaving. Literally, I handed a note to the secretary before and she looked at it and asked me: "Ooh, where are you going? :)" and I answer and she'll be like: "Ooo that's nice! ^_^~"

:D

You have a family emergency. It's an emergency for your family to do this. I have pulled my kids for a week but a couple of days here and there is the norm. I pulled my daughter when my son moved into his college dorm.

Wow, are you serious? That's pretty extreme! Where are you guys from? That is completely unheard of in western Canada. When we want to skip school, we just tell our teachers when we're leaving, get work from them, and hand a note in to the office explaining when we're going to be leaving. Literally, I handed a note to the secretary before and she looked at it and asked me: "Ooh, where are you going? :)" and I answer and she'll be like: "Ooo that's nice! ^_^~"

:D

Yeah, pretty harsh I think. We are in Virginia Beach, Va. I remember my mom letting us miss school days sometimes and there were no problems. But I got my hands slapped before when I let my older son miss a few days to go to the Boston Red Sox training camp - a trip of a lifetime for him. Oh well, the cruise is already paid and my son is going regardless but i hope to avoid any issues and hope he can make up missed work. Maybe I'll go the family emergency route like a PP suggested. :D

Inquire about independent study. For 5 days or more you can pull your child, as long as you sign a contract to complete the assignments. By doing this the school gets pay for your child and well, your kid can have perfect attendance. Many parents do a much better job teaching their children one on one than having them in a crowded class room.