Take children out of school or not?

602sr

Any thoughts on pulling kids (kindergarten and 2nd grade - both doing above average) out for 8 weeks? I was just offered a once in a life time sabbatical for work and my family live in New Zealand. There is a cruise leaving shortly for 41 nights Seattle to Auckland that we're tempted to take and home school from the schools work books over that time frame. Principal is supportive but I am concerned.

Under this particular situation absolutely as it isn't quite the same as just going on vacation. You are homeschooling them after all and I've seen kids on cruises who were home schooled before. Would probably have a set school schedule even if you shift that schedule around to different times of the day.

For others it's a real difficult decision and be careful that you aren't just talking to your child's teacher. I would suggest the school guidance counselor. I pulled my son out in Kindergarten after getting the ok from my son's teacher before school even started knowing I could still cancel the trip. I ended up having to hire an attorney due to a threatening meeting at the request of the state's attorney's office threatening jail time. And yes I did bring work on the trip and it was the producing of all the work we did that got as through that meeting, but no we will never do it again.

I would suggest really making sure that you know your states and districts policy backward and forward before making your decision.

I've actually sent my asthmatic son to school sick because I'm afraid he's missing too many days of school. Send him in a day then keep him home again and write and note telling the teacher to call me if he needs to be picked up. At least he isn't out too many consecutive days.

I will also add that in my case my son is autistic and high crowd (and high number of children present) is beyond challenging so holiday vacations are very rough. We are going on a holiday cruise this year because he has been asking and asking for "boatship" and I found one that was more reasonably affordable then I have seen before and we are trying. I know that to use the kids program I will probably be going with him (so glad Carnival allows that for special needs kids) but no matter how much I need a vacation a vacation is for family and to be honest as long as he is happy and having fun I am happy and having fun. I also do not have the luxury of his having any grandparents who could truly manage his behavior and therefor babysitting is not an option.

I beg to disagree, in our school it is the teachers responsibility and part of their job. From our handbook:

EXCUSED ABSENCES

A student may be excused for an absence or tardiness under the following conditions:

3. Participation in activities outside of the school program having an educational value, including family trips, providing the arrangements for a Pre-Excused Form has been completed and approved by the office. These days will be excused if the proper arrangements are made.

I am quite jealous of your districts policy.

Edited by larronry

I would have to double check again what the absence rule is at our school. Good thing my first class is a free period in the Library into which I can get on CC. That, and the librarian should have a copy of the handbook there somewhere.

Take advantage of cruises when your kiddos are young. They can learn so much onboard in a week, especially if the topic was something they are learning about.

That's why I try to keep any sorts of pamphlets from any historical or geographical site we visit on our cruise. That way I can prove that I actually learned something in 1 day. Eh... Maybe 2 for me lol:)

Here is our absence policy...

Absences from School - Definitions. An absence from school will be reported as:

(a) an excused absence or (b) an unexcused absence.

1. Excused Absences. Absences should be cleared through the Principal's office in advance whenever possible. An absence or tardy, even by parental approval, may not be excused. All absences, except for illness and/or death in the family, require advance approval. An absence for any of the following reasons will be excused, provided the required procedures have been followed:

(A) Attendance at a funeral for a member of the immediate family (parents, siblings, and grandparents),

(B) Illness, which causes a student to be absent from school,

© Doctor or dental appointment, which require student to be absent from school,

(D) Court appearances that are required by a court order and the student is not responsible for needing to be in court,

(E) School sponsored activities, which require students to be absent from school,

(F) Family trips in which student accompanies parent(s)/legal guardian(s),

(G) Other absences, which have received prior approval from the Principal.

The Principal has the discretion to deny approval for the latter two reasons, depending on circumstances such as the student's number of other absences, the student's academic status, the tests or other projects which may be missed, and in the case of a family trip, whether the trip could be taken during non-school time and the educational nature of the trip.

Don't most public schools have social promotion until high school? Kids with straight Fs will move onto high school, making grades til high school insignificant, except to the parents. If the grade doesn't count, then they are there so the district gets pay. Some HS offer credit recover program, making graduation likely.

What happens if you end up in court for taking your kids to Rome to see the Collseum, don't make up the work, but you are a middle school student?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

Don't most public schools have social promotion until high school? Kids with straight Fs will move onto high school, making grades til high school insignificant, except to the parents. If the grade doesn't count, then they are there so the district gets pay. Some HS offer credit recover program, making graduation likely.

What happens if you end up in court for taking your kids to Rome to see the Collseum, don't make up the work, but you are a middle school student?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

With testing now you don't always get a social promotion. Testing starts in 3rd grade and here if you fail that test you repeat 3rd grade. Actually quite stupid because it's the reading test and they've been failing that area for 3 years and what they usually needed to repeat is 1st grade. My son is autistic and did not meet the promotion criteria at the end of first grade (last year) I got a letter home saying they didn't want to promote him. I fought this because I don't want him to loose the full 4 years post high school of life skills and job training. They will keep you back 1 year in K-5 and 1 year in 6-12 if warranted and other then that yes they will do social promotion. In H.S. there are 3 different types of graduation certificates. One a certificate of completion, one a college bound diploma and 1 a diploma of completion. If my son repeats any grade then the 4 year program becomes 3 then 2 years.

As for your example unless they produce something then yes they could go to jail or the school could fail the child(ren) due to number of absenses. If they do some sort of work whether it be school makeup work or a special project on on their trip to show the judge there is a good chance they will be fine. Because I was able to produce the work that we did we were able to walk away. But, that doesn't get you out of the school failing the child(ren).

Edited by larronry

With testing now you don't always get a social promotion.

In California the test is not a pass fail. You test below basic, basic proficient, advance in different areas. My DD got an A in Geometry but tested below basic on CST. In California you kids don't have to be tested so that is the week I might pull my daughter (not nice) but less work to miss and make up. The kids take the test in April, weeks before the semester ends, but sometimes you don't get the result until the end of the summer. The district MUST test certain percentage of the students, mine simply might not be one next year. I know its bad to pull a smart kid because the score helps the district ( dreaded Program Improvement) but not necessarily her!

Edited by Blk_Amish

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post what our teacher gave my son as an assignment while he was on vacation.

ELA: Journaling about the experience. Put us in your shoes! Help us to see what you see! Focus on descriptive writing as well as thoughts about the experience as it happens. What things are you learning? What surprises you? You could write a little each day, or summarize it at the end.

Social Studies: How are the people/cultures similar to life in the Northeast compared with that of the Bahamas? How are they different? Is there anything special about “cruise culture” that makes life on board a boat like its own “civilization?” (Write about it- might be added into journaling)

Science:Ecosystems. Choose an ecosystem you encounter along the way… marine… coral… island… something. Can you take pictures of producers? Can you write about consumers or take pictures of them? Do you see any evidence that people are affecting this ecosystem? (Hint: How the the cruise ship handle waste? Where does the food come from?) Ask questions! Be an investigator. Make something for us to look at and teach us about.

This will give him full credit for the days he's missing school.

Even two different districts in the same state can have different rules. We are cruising as a blended family, the only time that would work for DH's ex, her husband, DH and myself was a week during the school year. The kids have an early release on Friday then have the first 2 days off that week so are only missing 3 days for our 7 day cruise. All 3 days will be unexcused and they will not be given work or credit and the adults are okay with this.

My DD is in a different school system only 30 miles away from her half-siblings. She is currently in pre-school but her school system allows up to 5 days excused absence at the discretion of the parents, requested to be used in no more than 2 absences. So if she were in school, our joint cruise that is 1 absence using 3 of our 5 days. We can then take her out of school for an additional 2 days at another point in the year.

We take my daughter out of school for a week in February each year for an astronomy convention. Kids who attend get 4 hours a day (two during the day and two after dark) of astronomy education. I know she learns more that week then at the average week at school and her teachers have never question our choice to take her with us. This year because the February new moon is late in the month and spring break is early in March, she will only miss two additional days so we can extend our time in the south and take a 7 day cruise. :) She will still have several days of spring break left when we return to complete any homework her teacher gives her. I probably wouldn't take her out of school for a week just for a cruise, but two days seems more reasonable.