Boston Whaler Rental

molsiesmom

We are planning on renting a small whaler on our upcoming trip but the weather is not looking promising. :( As a non boater I do not mind some light rain but am worried about any heavy downpours or lightening. I asked the rental company about their cancelation policy and there is a fee to cancel if it is raining, did not think to ask about lightening. Does anyone know if they even rent boats if there is a thunder storm in the area??

We rented from Somerset Bridge Watersports about a month ago. I think somewhere on their confirmation, it said rental is pending weather conditions. I can't believe they would want people renting their boats to take them out in bad weather. We chose to rent the first day we got to Bermuda with the idea if the weather was bad, we might be able to reschedule. We ended up with a great day and no problems. Insurance issues, I would think, would prevent them from renting in bad weather.

I asked the rental company about their cancelation policy and there is a fee to cancel if it is raining, did not think to ask about lightening.
What company is this? I ended up renting a Whaler from Somerset Watersports. All I see on their Website is;

*24hr notice is required for cancellations (public holidays require 48hrs notice)

*Exceptions: Small craft warnings or continuous rain.

Thanks flowers, that is good to hear.

We rented from Somerset Bridge Watersports about a month ago. I think somewhere on their confirmation, it said rental is pending weather conditions. I can't believe they would want people renting their boats to take them out in bad weather. We chose to rent the first day we got to Bermuda with the idea if the weather was bad, we might be able to reschedule. We ended up with a great day and no problems. Insurance issues, I would think, would prevent them from renting in bad weather.

It is Somerset... I just asked if there was a fee if we canceled because of bad weather and was told I would be charge for two hours. I wish I was more detailed as they might have thought I was asking about canceling for a slight drizzle or clouds.:eek: I did not ask about lightening or small craft warnings.

What company is this? I ended up renting a Whaler from Somerset Watersports. All I see on their Website is;

*24hr notice is required for cancellations (public holidays require 48hrs notice)

*Exceptions: Small craft warnings or continuous rain.

It is Somerset... I just asked if there was a fee if we canceled because of bad weather and was told I would be charge for two hours. I wish I was more detailed as they might have thought I was asking about canceling for a slight drizzle or clouds.:eek: I did not ask about lightening or small craft warnings.

Strange that Somerset would state something other than what is on their Website. Perhaps there was a communication error.

The e-mail I got does not say anything regarding cancellations. Not even a confirmation number. Not impressive in general. So, I printed the entire e-mail. I also rented for day 2 of our 3 day stay so that I can contact them in person on the first day to verify, cancel or reschedule if weather permits. If I cancel on the first day and there is a fee or charge, I will do a chargeback.

Ugh, showers the next ten days? Lets hope it clears out for everyone. Our cruise is 3 weeks ago I'm doing the non rain dance
Been waiting about 7 months watching the Bermuda port cam and until the past few weeks was saying "look how nice the weather is" and now I'm wondering what to do if it rains. Not stressing but not having happy thoughts. Hopefully we ALL will have decent weather.

At this point I will be thrilled if it changes to showers. I keep seeing wind and rain! :eek: Wednesday is looking better though:)

Been waiting about 7 months watching the Bermuda port cam and until the past few weeks was saying "look how nice the weather is" and now I'm wondering what to do if it rains. Not stressing but not having happy thoughts. Hopefully we ALL will have decent weather.

We are planning on renting a small whaler on our upcoming trip but the weather is not looking promising. :( As a non boater I do not mind some light rain but am worried about any heavy downpours or lightening. I asked the rental company about their cancelation policy and there is a fee to cancel if it is raining, did not think to ask about lightening. Does anyone know if they even rent boats if there is a thunder storm in the area??

Somerset and H2O are very flexible in their cancellation policies. They are also very professional operators and will never require payment when the weather is a safety concern in any way. Most days the showers are brief and you would be expected to call before your scheduled time to get their feedback on the weather conditions rather than just canceling. They are a business after all so you need to use common sense in this area. But those days it is a constant rain and/or lightning they would not hold you accountable.

We don't fret too uch about rain forecasts as they typically blow over quickly (except during the rainy season) and you just need to look at the situation as you get closer.

Have a great time in Bermuda, and good luck with the weather!

I hadn't even thought about rain, wind, or storms. We have a rental set for our second day at 10 or 10:30 in the morning at Somerset. I remember the 24 hour cancellation policy. Since I'll still be on a ship and at sea 24 hours before, I could probably email home and ask them to call and cancel. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. I'm looking forward to my very first experience piloting a boat of any kind :-)

• 2 weeks later...

We also just rented from Somerset last week (tuesday, 8/27) and had a wonderful time with our 4 hour rental in the boston whaler. Best part of our trip.

They were great with the instructions as we had never rented a boat (or even driven one) before, but they go over everything and give you good little maps of where to go for snorkeling or fishing.

As we talked with others onboard and shared our tale, many folks said, "oh that sounds like fun- we'll have to try that next time."

definitely on our list for our next trip back to bermuda.

Archived