using credit card on Celebrity - which option to choose

HelenREMfan

I apologise if this has been asked before. I am pretty sure the general advice in the UK is to opt to have the credit card set to my currency and then pay what my own bank charges and not to have the company do the conversion. A I correct?

Thanks in advance

(Uk person here by the way)

You are correct:) Have the cruise line charge you in dollars and let your credit card company do the conversion. Hope you have a card which doesn't have a foreign currency charge. We have a Post Office card we keep purely for foreign transactions

I use my Saga credit card because there are no foreign currency charges when Celebrity charge my card in $ on that particular credit card but a lot of other UK cards will charge a fee. If you let Celebrity do the conversion I believe it would be more costly.

In Canada I choose to have X charge me in US $ and let my credit card to the conversion (plus their lovely 2% exchange fee). I don't think there is a whole lot of difference but at least I know how my bank determines the exchange.

I'm 99% sure X charges a fee over and above the exchange rate but it's been so long since I've let them that I can't say for sure.

Thanks everyone.... confirmed what I thought ...just needed to make sure before ticking the relevant box on the Xpress pass

All the advice is probably correct BUT you should check your credit cards T&Cs to compare with those of Celebrity. Our credit card used to be much cheaper than taken the Celebrity convert option but, over the years, the charges have increased and there is only 0.01% difference. The change in exchange rate from one day to the next can be much greater.

[And before anyone flames me for using the "wrong" credit card - we have reasons for sticking with the same company.]

Sue

several credit card companies charge a foreign transaction fee based on where the charge is processed....NOT on the currency. If you have one of these cards, celebrity will "helpfully" convert from dollars to pounds and then your credit card will charge you a 3% foreign transaction fee because the charge is processed in Miami.

This is also true for american's travelling in Europe when their car rental company "helpfully" converts their charges from euros to $'s charging 5% or so and then your credit card company charges you 3% because it was charged in France.

Never let anyone but your credit card company do the conversion of currencies.

I apologise if this has been asked before. I am pretty sure the general advice in the UK is to opt to have the credit card set to my currency and then pay what my own bank charges and not to have the company do the conversion. A I correct?

Thanks in advance

(Uk person here by the way)

We have a halifax card that does not change currency conversion charges so we have it set that we are charged in dollars and the card company converts it. We got it purposely for trips abroad. Other banks do do these one too.

Archived