Does Upgrade Fairy visit more than once?

Mrs Soup

• 1 month later...

When our friends planned their cruise to Hawaii last year, they booked a balcony on the Golden. A couple weeks before the cruise, they heard from the fairy! (Sort of) For a little extra, they were moved to a mini-siuite. Then when they got to check in at the port, they were given a full aft suite! Amazing! I have never had the good fortune to get that much of an upgrade. I was so happy for them - to be able to live the suite life for two weeks!

However, she has bad feet and was very upset at the fact that she had to walk so far to get to one of the restaurants or to the theater or. . . I wish I could have helped her out and gone for her - you know - to help her out. . .yes that's what I would do. . .They had a good time except for the walking factor.

Have a great cruise!

Enjoy your upgrades!

Unlike airline upgrades (which are largely the prerogative of the check in clerks - be nice to them, be well dressed, be early and be patient...it works :)) cruise upgrades are to do with demand for cabins.

I booked the lowest grade inside cabin for my first Princess cruise when I was 21. By time of sailing I had been upgraded to the highest grade of inside cabin (I was very happy with the change).

What often happens is that upgrades occur when a particular grade of cabin is popularly wait listed or undersold.

In the case of a cabin grade being popular, in order to get money out of more people (to fill a ship) some lucky people are shifted to higher grade cabins. That way the line gets to re-sell the lower grade cabins to those wait listed and to allow a sale to be run.

In the case of unsold cabin grades, it makes sense to move people out of poorly populated sections of the ship so that stewards can be better allocated. For example, you might have only two cabins booked in a small corridor of ten cabins. Rather than allocate a steward for the two cabins the system moves the passengers from those two cabins to two cabins in more populated parts of the ship. This may see them moved to a similar grade elsewhere or may see them upgraded.

So, it is a bit of luck, but also a little mathematical and financial. You'll find those who book the lowest categories (particularly insides) have greater chances of being upgraded / moved. Not always the case of course.

I am new to all of this. Why do people get free upgrades?

It is because we are pure of heart. This is why we have been upgraded twice,( but not for the same cruise). Our best was from a regular mini-suite to a Handicap Mini-suite on Emerald. The cabin is huge,

Actually, no-one knows except the Fairy Herself.

Steve

We were booked in the very last aft mini-suite on Dolphin on the Coral for a B2B Alaska cruise (Vancouver to Whittier and back). 3 days before embarkation I checked our Cruise Personalizer to find that we had been upgraded to a full suite, right next to the aft elevators. An absolutely perfect location, and a beautiful suite. Having lived the suite-life for 2 weeks we are now utterly spoiled. This upgrade was so close to sailing that I think it might have been related to wait-listed customers for lower-grade cabins that they moved people up in order to accommodate, since the ship was full at sailing.

Pamster...Did you get all the suite perks even though you booked a mini?

Thanx, Steve

We sure did - everything except the double points for Captain's Circle. We got the mini-bar, free dinner the first night, breakfast at Sabatini's, etc. It was great!!!

Archived