Bus Turistic in Barcelona??

Would you recommend it?

What are the pluses and minuses versus the alternative methods of transportation?

Yes. I assume by other transportation you mean taxi,metro or bus or private tour??The hop/on bus lets you ride all day,get off where you want to or stay on and then just catch another bus.Now, you may have to wait a bit or not,but that would be the downside. If a bus is to crowded just wait for another.Also, you can walk to a few of the sights from one to the other,but you will get around to all the sights above ground on the bus. Nit sure if it goes to Parc Guell,and if it does not just aks which local bus does or hop in a cab,but do not miss it.You can buy your tickets on the bus BTW.IMHO any city that offers this service is great as it is a wonderful introduction to all the main sights and well worth the money which is not all that much for what you get.

The bus lets you out at the bottom of the hill near Parc Guell. It is about 4 blocks to the top. When we used the bus there was very little wait for a bus. The only down side it doesn't take you back to your hotel otherwise it is well woth it.

I personally don't recommend it if you only have one day. First of all, financially there are less expensive ways to do what you want -- there were four of us, and at 16 Euros a person it would have cost us 64 Euros. Instead, we took taxis directly to the sights we wanted to see, and our total cost for all the cab rides was not more than 30 Euros.

Secondly there's the time factor -- the Bus Turistic makes about a four-hour loop, so you basically have to ride the whole thing to get back to start, unless of course you cab it from the last place you want to stop (which adds more cost). With only one day you just can't do it all, unless you only plan on spending a couple minutes at each spot. So we made a list of exactly what we wanted to see, cabbed it to each place, then walked the final leg which took us into the Bari Gotic and then down Las Ramblas. We got to see all we wanted to, spent enough time in each place, and saved money to boot! Plus we didn't have to waste four hours of our day in transit.

LeeAnne

I agree with LeeAnne. Even if you are only two, a cab and the subway are more efficient and cheaper.

Do a little research, decide what you want to see, and plan accordingly.

For example, Las Ramblas, Bari Gothic, and Gaudi's homes are within easy walking distance of each other. I'm 50 and not in tip top shape so gauge easy walking as you will. Use the metro to see Parc Guell and the Sagrada Familia. More than a day's worth if you want to do a couple of tapas bars and people watch.

Enjoy!

I have to disagree. Yes, the Bus Touristic makes a large loop (actually there are two companies. One makes one large loop and the other makes two smaller, intersecting ones.) Howver, they give you a chance to see the city while visiting the "high points." In addition, I found it difficult to make the cab drivers understand where I wanted to go even though I speak a little Spanish.

Was in Barcelona a month ago. We found it very easy to get around on our own - we walked, rode the bus, and took taxis as needed and didn't spend as much as the Bus Turistica would have cost. All of the sites are close to each other except Parc Guell (rode the 21 bus from Placa de Catalunya and taxied back) and Sagrada Familia (Metro both ways.)

We rarely saw a Bus Turistica moving - they always seemed to be waiting for passengers!! Invest in a good map of Barcelona (Berndtson City Streets worked for us) and a AAA Spiral Guide and go explore on your own. We're in our 60's and found the walking a delight. If we saw a side street that looked interesting, we just turned and explored. Want a break? There is a cafe always close at hand. You can't do this easily on a hop-on-hop-off without wasting lots of time.

Communication with taxi drivers should not be a problem - just show them where you want to go on your map or on a page in your tour guide and have the address of your hotel written on a piece of paper.

Enjoy.

FLJudi

I have to disagree. Yes, the Bus Touristic makes a large loop (actually there are two companies. One makes one large loop and the other makes two smaller, intersecting ones.) Howver, they give you a chance to see the city while visiting the "high points." In addition, I found it difficult to make the cab drivers understand where I wanted to go even though I speak a little Spanish.

Thank you..this was my point when I posted before.The bus(in any city) is a great intro to the city and the sights even if it is only one day,but the OP didn't say that.Once one has done this then taking the metro etc. is much easier than trying to figure it all out as well as sightsee.

Read one negative re cabs--they often get stuck for long periods of time in traffic. Anyone experience this?

Like any city any place if there is a lot of traffic and you are in a cab you will more than likely get stuck so your time has to be taken into consideration.BTW, if you do use the metro system do be aware of your belongings at all times and if someone stops quickly in front of you or spills something on you just smile and keep going.I have used cabs in Barcelona,but not for sightseeing,and depending on the time of day sometimes traffic was great other times we got caught up in it.

We, too, were in Barcelona for only one day. The Bus Turista was a fabulous way to get a great overview of the whole city. We walked up Las Ramblas to the Plaza and caught the bus. Took it for the entire route, and then went again and got off at sites we wanted to visit.

I think it's a bargain to see the whole city, with audio, for one price.

Would the cabs in Barcelona have held a family of 5? (two adults plus three teens) If it came down to paying for two cabs for us then Bus Turista might be the cheaper option?

Some European cities have very large cabs, others not so...just wondering?

Thanks

I was thinking the same. We plan on taking the Bus Touristic since we also are a family of 5 w/3 kids 12-16. We have had problems getting cabs before to take all 5 and getting 2 cabs can cause problems when 1 gets stuck in traffic and the other doesn't...I prefer not separating the family when vacationing. Never know what could happen.

We will be in Barcelona for 3 days and plan on getting the 2 day ticket. I feel we can spend the time we want and then catch the bus to the next stop..For instance if the kids really don't see the appeal in one of the sites, we can just board the bus again and not get upset about paying a cab there for no reason.

Also looking at the site, they give discounts to many of the sites which helps lower the cost also. I think the bus is the way to go.. My daughter visited Barcelona 2 years ago and her group (including her) were pickpocketed on the Metro, so I prefer not to take it. Passports were taken from the group leader and 3 of the students spent the next day at the embassy to replace them. Also, a reason to leave passports on the ship.

Would the cabs in Barcelona have held a family of 5? (two adults plus three teens) If it came down to paying for two cabs for us then Bus Turista might be the cheaper option?

Some European cities have very large cabs, others not so...just wondering?

Thanks

Most cabs cannot take 5..you maybe able to ask at your hotel if there is a company with taxi vans,but the average cab..no for 5 adults(as teens are not small children on laps).If you found a van type taxi I assume you would use it and driver for the day since you could not just hail one if you were dropped off and he would have to wait..if you did this you may want to look into hiring a guide for the day which would be cheaper than a cab per se,but not as cheap as the hop/ons.

We're a family of 4, with our daughters ages 18 and 20. The 4 of us were fine in cabs but none of the cabs would have held 5 adults. It was typically 1 in the front and 3 in the small back seat.

We got in on Thursday afternoon (4pm), took a cab to our hotel by Placa Catalunya (30E incl. tip) and then just walked up and down Las Ramblas that evening. On Friday, we'd planned to do the Bus Touristic but at 10am, there were huge lines and the cost was 17E/pp - that would have been a total of 68E to ride the bus. We decided to take taxis and also spent around 30E total incl. tips by taking a taxi to Sagrada Familia (7E taxi, 8E each admission), then to Park Guell (13E) and then back to Placa Catalunya (11E). That night, we walked to Gaudi's Pandera Apartments (10 minute walk, 7E each admission) and then ate at a recommended Tapas bar with Sangria - it was great. It was a nice relaxing day, all at our own pace.

With 5, you probably would be better off on the Bus Turistic. Two might be good too - with 4, though, we've always found taxis to be relatively cheap on short distances compared to paying metro/bus fare for 4.

I always hate to be redundant, but I'll post this again:

There are actually two buses at Placa Catalunya. As you enter the plaza from Las Ramblas, there is a stop for the Bus Turitsta in front of you. Off to the right is another vendor with the same type bus and it costs the same. That's the one we took. It's basically the same stops, too. So, if one has a long line, then try the other one.

I always hate to be redundant, but I'll post this again:

There are actually two buses at Placa Catalunya. As you enter the plaza from Las Ramblas, there is a stop for the Bus Turitsta in front of you. Off to the right is another vendor with the same type bus and it costs the same. That's the one we took. It's basically the same stops, too. So, if one has a long line, then try the other one.

You are not redundant..just trying to make a good point.Most cities have 2 some even 3 hop/ons,and generally I tell people to look the each one's routes and pick the one they think best for them as some are longer some shorter etc.,but as you said they are about the same in BCL and just go by the lines..good advice..:D

lucyjohnz, could you tell us where you stopped for sangria and tapas? we will be there in August and would love to have a place in mind when we get there. We have been to Barcelona before so are planning on walking around a bit and then relaxing a bit more with some wine. Sangria in Barcelona sounds great! You can reply here or are email is shibley3@aol.com. thanks Linda

Would you recommend it?

What are the pluses and minuses versus the alternative methods of transportation?

Absolutely. Great and inexpensive way to see Barcelona. You can get on and off at any points of interest. Do the red circle first, then the blue circle. And when we got tired, we just stayed on the bus ( get on the double decker) and just ride around. I would not even try any other transportation options. We have done this so many times. Last year one day ticket was 16 euros p.p.

And I think 2 days tiket was 25 euros. Have fun. Barcelona is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

Archived