Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

Celebrity does have a rule that no children are supposed to be in lounge during the Elite cocktail party. But like anything else, this all depends on the Captain's Club Host/Hostess or their helpers being at the door and enforcing the policy. It is the same with the dress code at the parties. The rules are only as good as the folks doing the enforcement.

Hank

P.S. We will pack our "rat traps" for our next X cruise so we can trap those Feral Rats :)

We are a family of 4 and have all been on the exact same cruises together. My husband and I, plus our 19 year old, are all Elite and our 16 year old will also be Elite when he turns 18. On our recent Reflection cruise our youngest was allowed in - he is well behaved and just sat with us and talked/played cards with us as we would normally do. Should we miss out on this perk while he is still travelling with us or leave him to roam the ship alone and get complaints about that? Why not offer us vouchers as an alternative when travelling with an under 18 so that we don't have to miss the perk, nor go through the first night clearing his attendance with the host?

As an aside, for anyone travelling Reflection we had the best Elite lounge service we have ever had, largely down to our fantastic waiter Aleksander. He is the best and if you are sailing Reflection you will be well looked after in the Elite lounge :)

... our 16 year old will also be Elite when he turns 18. On our recent Reflection cruise our youngest was allowed in - he is well behaved and just sat with us and talked/played cards with us as we would normally do. Should we miss out on this perk while he is still travelling with us or leave him to roam the ship alone and get complaints about that?....

For better or worse the "rules", or "policy", I've seen on all my past cruises were outlined in the Elite Captain's Club letter delivered on board which explained the Captain's Club Social Hour open to Elite members. The most recent one I have stated: "All Elite members and their companions staying in the same suite/stateroom over 21 years old are welcome"

On the one hand the presence of children wouldn't bother me at all given the small numbers of children we've seen on our past Celebrity cruises including those during spring break time (when we usually are doing a Caribbean cruise). On the other hand I don't think it is fair to ignore the rules because you feel your child is well behaved or because you think it is better than letting him roam the halls. if you don't feel it is appropriate to let him roam the ship on his own, or if you feel that might generate complaints about your child, then maybe you should be keeping him company and supervising him outside of the elite cocktail hour rather than bringing him in against policy. While I don't have a problem with him being there I think that a parent should not feel that they are exempt from policy for many reasons including the poor example it sets for the children.

We were cleaning out the cruise stuff drawer this week, ( the wifester hates that I am a 'pack rat' and keep everything from every cruise :eek:) and found our old invations to the Captians Club Party from a sailing when our son was 15, our daughter was 11 and the two of us were, well, over 21. All 4 names were on the invite, and everyone who was a past pax got to go. But times change and thoes who are more 'special' need their private space I guess. But beware! After this next cruise we are but 1 short 4 day away from our 10th point, and joining the upper crust of X Royality and leaving Sherwood Forest behind :rolleyes: Which will also get us Diamond on RCCL without the needed 21 more days at sea!

For better or worse the "rules", or "policy", I've seen on all my past cruises were outlined in the Elite Captain's Club letter delivered on board which explained the Captain's Club Social Hour open to Elite members. The most recent one I have stated: "All Elite members and their companions staying in the same suite/stateroom over 21 years old are welcome"

We were cleaning out the cruise stuff drawer this week, ( the wifester hates that I am a 'pack rat' and keep everything from every cruise :eek:) and found our old invations to the Captains Club Party from a sailing when our son was 15, our daughter was 11 and the two of us were, well, over 21. All 4 names were on the invite, and everyone who was a past pax got to go. But times change and thoes who are more 'special' need their private space I guess. But beware! After this next cruise we are but 1 short 4 day away from our 10th point, and joining the upper crust of X Royality and leaving Sherwood Forest behind :rolleyes: Which will also get us Diamond on RCCL without the needed 21 more days at sea!

Aren't you confusing the two events?

Aren't you confusing the two events?

Hence my 'toung in cheek' comment. There used to be only 1 event, all went and were treated the same, but as time marches on people demand more be given from a company to retain their loyality. Good service and good product presentation is just not enought anymore.

We were cleaning out the cruise stuff drawer this week, ( the wifester hates that I am a 'pack rat' and keep everything from every cruise :eek:) and found our old invations to the Captians Club Party from a sailing when our son was 15, our daughter was 11 and the two of us were, well, over 21. All 4 names were on the invite, and everyone who was a past pax got to go. But times change and thoes who are more 'special' need their private space I guess. But beware! After this next cruise we are but 1 short 4 day away from our 10th point, and joining the upper crust of X Royality and leaving Sherwood Forest behind :rolleyes: Which will also get us Diamond on RCCL without the needed 21 more days at sea!

This is not the same thing as the Elite cocktail party held every day.

I know Ma, see my previous comment.

I guess I was typing at the time you posted. You certainly didn't even hint that you were commenting about two different things.;)

I don't know why anyone would want to take children to a cocktail party.

I guess I was typing at the time you posted. You certainly didn't even hint that you were commenting about two different things.;)

From what I gather, wallie will be Elite after his next cruise and would like to see children welcomed at the Captain's Club Social Hour.

Our DD loved getting all dressed up and being introduced to the Captian of the Ship by someone also dressed to the nines in full Officers dress. So much so that as soon as she was old enought she went to work on ship for RCCL. One can not teach about the way to behave during the finer moments in life without exposer to them. We have never in 25+ years of cruising had any fellow pax behave in a manner at one of the parties that made us ashamed to have any member of our family there.

Our DD loved getting all dressed up and being introduced to the Captian of the Ship by someone also dressed to the nines in full Officers dress. So much so that as soon as she was old enought she went to work on ship for RCCL. One can not teach about the way to behave during the finer moments in life without exposer to them. We have never in 25+ years of cruising had any fellow pax behave in a manner at one of the parties that made us ashamed to have any member of our family there.

I'm not talking about the Captain's Club party I'm talking about the evening cocktail parties. They are two different things. What the other passengers are doing has nothing to do with my comment.

We just got home from an excellent weather Bermuda cruise aboard the Summit. We are Elite members with 20 cruise credits, but that doesn't seem to count anymore. Here are some changes that I observed at Bayonne and aboard the ship. There is now a special entrance (before the security scanner) for concierge, aqua class and suites. Only one scanner operating for everyone else created a very long wait for us to finally get into the check in area. The Captain's Club celebration on day three no longer has the "stations" serving crepes, sushi, the chocolate and fruit fountain, etc. They only serve drinks and very limited h'orderves. There seemed to be more suite guests (including children) in Michael's club than Elite members for happy hour. On the nights of the production shows, an area was roped off and reserved for suite guests only. I'm starting to get the feeling that Celebrity cares more about the suite guests than loyal Elite Captain's Club members. I was told that a new level will probably take effect in 2014. Hopefully my Diamond Plus status on Royal Caribbean will equate to whatever new level that X will create.

It's pretty normal that passengers that pay more get more attention in some areas.

The only thing that is shocking in your post - ropes!

They may reserve a lounge or a whole deck for suite passengers, but putting ropes in a public place.:eek:

If they really did that for that purpose - that's bourish and disgusting.

Sorry, I should have explained, we were sailing in Europe so the age for Captain's Club Social Hour was 18, not 21.

They may reserve a lounge or a whole deck for suite passengers, but putting ropes in a public place.:eek:

If they really did that for that purpose - that's bourish and disgusting.

I guess weddings, funerals, graduations,etc. are all boorish and disgusting, too! It is customary at all these events to separate seating with "ropes," some covered in velvet, some with flowers, and others done with ribbon. This is done for the special guests/ participants at each of these events. Even nightclubs do this.

It seems to really bother some cruisers that suite guests are treated better, as it's "not fair or democratic." Funny thing - it IS fair...everyone has the option to book a suite. If I can't afford it, it isn't "unfair," just a reflection of my priorities for my money.

Boorish, indeed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I guess weddings, funerals, graduations,etc. are all boorish and disgusting, too! It is customary at all these events to separate seating with "ropes," some covered in velvet, some with flowers, and others done with ribbon. This is done for the special guests/ participants at each of these events. Even nightclubs do this.

It seems to really bother some cruisers that suite guests are treated better, as it's "not fair or democratic." Funny thing - it IS fair...everyone has the option to book a suite. If I can't afford it, it isn't "unfair," just a reflection of my priorities for my money.

Boorish, indeed.

Andrew I totally agree. I never worry about what others may be able to afford or have earned. I say good for them. One of the great things about growing up in this country was the feeling that with hard work and perseverance we all have the "opportunity" to achieve our goals whatever they might be. It seems that nowadays too many people think they are "entitled" to something they haven't earned.

For the most part we are all treated equally on a cruise ship but there are and should be some consideration given to those who spend a lot more in terms of time and money. Most of us have to begin somewhere and hopefully have the blessing of good health and the ambition to make the most of our gifts, whatever they might be. How sad it is to think that people spend their precious time worrying about whether someone has more than they do rather than enjoying what they have at the time and hoping to accomplish more in the future. How about just "smelling the roses" along the way. We are all in a pretty rarefied atmosphere already by just having the opportunity to enjoy cruising.

You are correct. We have been Princess Captains Circle since '92 and after our sailing on the Ruby last Nov, the 'perks' could not overcome the lack of product quality to my Wife. So who cares about a private party with a couple of drinks if you can not get a baked potato that will melt soft butter. Ok, we have whooped the horse, on to a formal dress thread.

Boorish, indeed.

Why take it personal?

The cruise line is to blame, not passengers.

Generally speaking, suite passengers are not special guests anywhere on a ship.

To be precise: not more special than other passengers.

Even more precise: booking a suite does not make a passenger special.

Barbra Streisand could be a special guest everywhere on a ship but not because she travels in a suite.

Suite passengers have a package of privileges specific to a particular ship, and that is fair. No one doubts it.

What is not fair - setting these privileges in demonstrative, insulting way.

Roping seats off in a cruise ship theatre is very poor practice (if it really happens - I haven't seen that on a cruise ship!)

"Should be some consideration given to those who spend a lot more in terms of money"?

Yes, of course.

This is an example of how to do it in a civilized way:

259ygq0.jpg

Very well said. After reading these boards I discovered that Celebrity doesn't have the rooms ready until 1:00pm. We decided that we didn't want to walk around the ship dragging around our carry on luggage so we decided to stay at the hotel a little longer and enjoy the pool. By the time we got to the ship at around 2:00pm check in was empty. We just walked up to the desk and were on the ship in a matter of minutes. We went directly to our rooms dropped off or bags and explored the ship. By 5:00 our luggage was delivered to our room. I am so over getting to port at the crack of dawn and standing in line like a herd of cattle at the slaughter house.

Yes, our last cruise we rocked up at 3 pm for check-in, walked onto the ship and had a photo and champagne and was dropping off bags in the room by 3.20 pm. Easy as pie.:D

Archived