should we cancel

we are cruising 9/22 on carnival breeze. our 10y/o grandson can not come with us now:( should we call and cancel his trip or just let it be. if we do not cancel his trip will that be a problem at the desk at the pier? guess I am still hoping his mom will change her mind. have had this trip planned and book since Dec.

If you cancel, you should get a refund of the port taxes. If you don't cancel you will probably have to get gratuities for a third person taken off of your account. I would cancel, but would wait until it was closer to sail date in case the mom changes her mind.

we are cruising 9/22 on carnival breeze. our 10y/o grandson can not come with us now:( should we call and cancel his trip or just let it be. if we do not cancel his trip will that be a problem at the desk at the pier? guess I am still hoping his mom will change her mind. have had this trip planned and book since Dec.

So sorry, bet he is disappointed!

If you cancel, you should get a refund of the port taxes. If you don't cancel you will probably have to get gratuities for a third person taken off of your account. I would cancel, but would wait until it was closer to sail date in case the mom changes her mind.

even if they don't cancel the 3rd person they will get the taxes/fees refunded and the 3rd person gratuities won't be charged.

I wouldn't cancel the grandson yet in hopes that his mom will change her mind.

I hope she does.:)

Bill

even if they don't cancel the 3rd person they will get the taxes/fees refunded and the 3rd person gratuities won't be charged.

I wouldn't cancel the grandson yet in hopes that his mom will change her mind.

I hope she does.:)

Bill

agreed

But, if they cancel, most of his fare would be lost anyway. Then, their fare will go up because of only 2 in the cabin?

I'd just leave it a no show .

How so???? Is it cheaper for 3 in a cabin than it is for two?

But, if they cancel, most of his fare would be lost anyway. Then, their fare will go up because of only 2 in the cabin?

I'd just leave it a no show .

Their fare shouldn't go up for only 2 in a cabin. Now if they were going from 2 to 1, yeah, there would be a problem.

But if they cancel now, they'd at least get 25% of the third fare back, along with all the taxes and port charges. If they wait until the day of to cancel, they'd lose 100% of the fare (but still would get the port charges/taxes refunded).

Not to thread hijack but I am going through something similar. We had originally booked with another family (after some drama..off and on)...they had to cancel because of their own family emergency leaving a "vacancy" in our room. My son asked if he could bring his cousin. I asked mom and she said yes. Dad initially said yes. Our cruise is scheduled for November. Dad got mad at mom about something totally unrelated and revoked his consent. Mom was livid. After several months waiting to see if things would settle down, I cancelled his reservation just before making the final payment (a few days ago). We had used the Kids Sail Free promotion so I only had taxes and fees really to consider.

Well, now he has changed his mind. :mad: I called to see how much it would cost to add him back to the reservation today and they told me $463.50 now. Mother does not have the money to pay this additional amount and father refuses to pay that amount so the child is still not going. I'm not willing to pay for the father's wishy washy mistake.

Not the exact same situation but we were very disappointed that he can't come and my DS who is 10 was very sad about it. I hated that he let his son get all hyped up about the cruise and then told him he couldn't go because he got mad at the mom.

If you are past the refund stage and the cruise is paid, do nothing.

When you get to the pier for check in, tell them one of your party is not joining you. Nothing will happen, except Carnival will not charge tips and you will get a credit for port fees.

Leave it alone. I know this for a fact, I did it.

Yes, you need to cancel his cruise regardless if you get anything back or not. Just make sure the mother is 100% sure he can't go now. And if she changes her mind make sure you have a letter from her allowing him to go.

Also, there are amazing sales going on with Carnival so you might want to talk to your TA or Carnival sales rep to see if you could qualify.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Yes, you need to cancel his cruise regardless if you get anything back or not. Just make sure the mother is 100% sure he can't go now. And if she changes her mind make sure you have a letter from her allowing him to go.

Also, there are amazing sales going on with Carnival so you might want to talk to your TA or Carnival sales rep to see if you could qualify.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

why?

They are beyond the 29 day 25% refund. Full penalty. Absolutely no reason to cancel. The mother could have a last minute change of mind

why?

They are beyond the 29 day 25% refund. Full penalty. Absolutely no reason to cancel. The mother could have a last minute change of mind

I thought up to 15 days before, you could get the 25% refund, no?

Edit: Just found it. Here it is straight from Carnival's FAQ:

Cruise Cancellation Policy:

Length of Cruise Days Prior to Sailing Departure Charge (Per Guest)

2, 3, 4, and 5 day cruises Up to 61 days None (except for Cruise-To-Nowhere and Early Saver Fares*)

60 to 46 days Deposit^

45 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

6 Day or longer cruises (Including Alaska and Hawaii)

Up to 76 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

75 to 56 days Deposit

55 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less 100% of total Fare

Europe cruises, Panama Canal cruises & Transpacific cruises 7,9,12,14 & 17 day.

Up to 91 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

90 to 56 days Deposit

55 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less 100% of total Fare

Sorry to hear this Starfish. I'm on this cruise with you. Sad for you and your gransdson. Both my kids have missed a week of school in the past. I know everyone feels differently on this topic. My oldest is now in high school and does not want to miss. It's harder to catch up on the work and I agree. It was easier for us when they were in elementary. Hopefully it all works out and your gransdson is ok.

Is it possible to find someone to replace him.. Its a $50 charge for a name change... You can wait until 3 days before the cruise and do it then. Maybe another one of your granddaughters friends or another grandchild or me ???? lol

Okay, well it seems that you have until 15 days out, so you have another week or so to save at least 25%, depending on how you booked.

I would let Mommy Dearest know what your final date for a decision is and see what happens.

Also, you probably can switch to a different passenger either for free or a $50 fee, again depending on how you booked.

Some people don't foresee all of the potential conflicts when they agree to things. They don't see these decisions as a promise... a commitment. If nothing else, I hope at least the grandson learns the lesson because apparently the mother has not. Sorry to be judgmental about it because we really don't know the circumstances, but a promise is a promise, and I hope if nothing else, the lesson is learned.

Sorry for your consternation, but hope everyone gets beyond this and you have a nice cruise.

Good luck.

Is it possible to find someone to replace him.. Its a $50 charge for a name change... You can wait until 3 days before the cruise and do it then.

Actually, I've done a name change the night before departure.

Archived