Veendam

fsdj1097

I just looked on 'Live Ships Maps' and it shows the track of Veendam leaving Halifax yesterday and heading back south almost to the southern tip of Nova Scotia before u-turning back north. The track shows Veendam now has an ETA at Sydney at 11:30am UTC. Am I just reading this wrong? Any thoughts?

I just looked on 'Live Ships Maps' and it shows the track of Veendam leaving Halifax yesterday and heading back south almost to the southern tip of Nova Scotia before u-turning back north. The track shows Veendam now has an ETA at Sydney at 11:30am UTC. Am I just reading this wrong? Any thoughts?

Here's my first thought (and it is just a guess); they had a medical emergency and had to get within a certain distance (i.e. range) for a medical helicopter to life flight someone off the ship.

I can't say for sure but the Veendam has had some issues with tracking recently. I'm not sure whether the issue is with the Veendam's AIS or the tracking recievers but I do not necessarily trust the data. On the last week of the Voyage of the Vikings tracking showed Veendam stuck for several days. I think there must be some bug with the land based software because I saw the same issue with the Grandeur of the Seas the week of August 12.

With regard to the Veendam's situation, the departure south happened almost instantaneously with no intermediate points in between. Sure looks like a software error to me.

Roy

I can't say for sure but the Veendam has had some issues with tracking recently. I'm not sure whether the issue is with the Veendam's AIS or the tracking recievers but I do not necessarily trust the data. On the last week of the Voyage of the Vikings tracking showed Veendam stuck for several days. I think there must be some bug with the land based software because I saw the same issue with the Grandeur of the Seas the week of August 12.

With regard to the Veendam's situation, the departure south happened almost instantaneously with no intermediate points in between. Sure looks like a software error to me.

Roy

I was on the 2013 Voyage Of The Vikings cruise and can say we were not "stuck" anywhere; however, there may have been some "squirrel-y" moves around the southern tip of Greenland (both east bound and west bound) to avoid ice flows.

:p

I Am On That Cruise And Noticed That We Were Headed South. Just Heading Out Of The Harbor Then Turned North. We Are Currently In Sydney.

Marinetraffic.com shows you still far South of Halifax, clearly something is drastically wrong with the tracking. Enjoy Sydney and enjoy the Veendam. May this week be as wonderful on the Veendam as was last week.

Roy

Marine tracking is still not showing Veendam in Sydney. An obvious tracking error somewhere. If I'd just been a little more patient I might have saved myself and you good people the time of chasing ghosts! My apologies.

Marine tracking is still not showing Veendam in Sydney. An obvious tracking error somewhere. If I'd just been a little more patient I might have saved myself and you good people the time of chasing ghosts! My apologies.

No problem. I love a good mystery.

Roy

Archived