Airfare

travln1234

I've heard to purchase airfare earlier rather than later, have also heard via a friend that a TA told her to hold off because rates will drop (for flights for next June), have also heard October has sales.

Any idea? What would you do?

Alaska Airlines has a 'sale' every yr in Oct to coincide with the fund distribution to Alaska residents. They also have a credit card which allows for a $100 companion fare each yr ... the credit card has an annual fee so you'd have to review the details to see if it's worthwhile for your specific needs.

Alaska Airlines will usually have sales that coincide with the Alaska PFD distribution, which is in early October if I recall, so I believe the October sales is pretty accurate.

I'm not sure if the rest of the airlines in the area have similar events or not. I tend to think not.

I fly into Juneau a few times a year and as a rule of thumb for me coming from Chicago to Juneau, the fares usually don't get any cheaper than what you see on the "PFD" sales. A ticket that is normally in the low $800s will be in the $600 to $650 range. I'm not sure where you are flying from or to, so I don't know if the same will hold true for you.

There are carriers that only serve Anchorage seasonally. American, Frontier, Jet Blue, Sun Country. The past couple of years they have thrown a very cheap fare in there and Alaska Airlines matches it on a similar flight, usually a red eye. They announce this late winter/early spring. The sales have been very good if you jump on it. Seats are limited. They have been better than the PFD sale.

Note that fare sales often restrict when you can fly and may not cover peak seasons (such as cruise season.) So getting a cheap fare in February is pointless if you plan to travel in July, and the fare isn't good for July.

Note that fare sales often restrict when you can fly and may not cover peak seasons (such as cruise season.) So getting a cheap fare in February is pointless if you plan to travel in July, and the fare isn't good for July.

These fares were during the cruise season. The bigger issue is getting one of the very limited seats. They go fast.

Archived