Luggage questions

I'mGrammy

I'm still confused as to how many pieces of luggage and sizes that Princess will allow on the trains in Alaska. We are doing Tour 1S starting July 26 and will take the train from Denali to Talkeetna, and the McKinley Express to Whittier. Besides a carry on that fits under your seat, what does Princess allow as far as regular luggage? I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

I was struggling with the same question and I believe it was finally resolved on the Alaska board. You are allowed 1 piece of luggage per person plus your carryon. The carryon goes with you under your seat on the train - the luggage is sent to each lodge either by train or truck and will be delivered to your room each night. The concern with the carryon is that it sometimes takes a while for the luggage to be delivered and it is totally inaccessible while on the train. If there is anything you will need on the train or in the first hour or two at the lodge, it should be packed in your carryon. The carryon is supposed to be 17 X 14 X 4, I believe, although someone said that size might be a misprint by Princess. We will probably take small backpacks as our carryons. I hope that helps - have a wonderful trip! :D

Sue

Thanks Sue. That makes sense to me, and now I understand how to pack. I think I'll get a small duffel or back pack for my hubby and my small carry-on for under the seat of the train. When is your trip? Have fun!

It took me awhile to figure out the luggage situation - now it's more a matter of what to pack!!! The nice thing is that we can pack anything we will wear on the ship in a separate bag and have it sent on to the Dawn while we are on the land portion. We had a carryon that we planned on using on the train, but it is too large for those dimensions. Found a small backpack that converts to a duffel before our last cruise, so we will probably use that.

We are on 19S, leaving August 9. We go to Fairbanks, Denali, McKinley, and Kenai, then Dawn Princess to Vancouver. Our times on the train are relatively short compared to your longer trip from McKinley to Whittier. We do motorcoach from McKinley to Kenai and from there to Whittier; train is only Fairbanks to Denali to McKinley. We are doing the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali so will need to have jackets in our carryons just in case the luggage arrives after we do! :rolleyes:

Sue

We did the cruise/land tour last August. My husband and I travelled with 3 suitcases and 2 small carryons. One of the suitcases contained our dressy clothes for the cruise and when we left to go on the train thiis suitcase was sent ahead to Whittier. The other 2 suitcases were sent directly to the lodges and were there when we arrived. One of our carryons was for the important stuff you should keep with you (ie: medicines, jewelry). You will absolutely love this trip. I would do it again anytime.

Hi Cowtec,

We went on a similar trip last year. Fairbanks, Denali, Mckinley and Kenai.

We sent one bag on to the ship with our formal wear. The night we spent in Denali we only had our carry-on luggage. The rest of the luggage was waiting for us at the McKinley hotel. You must pack all of your medications, toiletries and a change of clothes in that bag that you are bringing with you on the train so don't get one too small. The bag can be 9 x 14 X 22.

We had a ball. Hope you do too.

Any more questions?

Thanks everyone. Nedo, why could you only bring carry-ons for your first train ride? I'm wondering if that was specific just for your tour. Is all of this explained when you get the cruise documents? Thans again,Eileen (Grammy)

Grammy,

Different tours had different instructions.

Our tour was two nights in Fairbanks, one in Denali, one at McKinley and two at Kenai.

On the train to Denali we only had a carry-on for each of us and that's all we had at theDenali Princess that night. Other tours had different arrangements.

I'm looking at my personalized itinerary that spells everything out. I don't remember if I received the itinerary right before we left for Alaska or when we got there.

Any other questions?

That is good info to know about the luggage for cruise tours in Alaska - thank you. We are planning to do Alaska in 2007. I have another pertinent question - are there restroom facilities on the trains and busses that they use? The long bus rides make me wonder. THANKS

Thanks Nedo. Guess I'll wait for the cruise docs, or personalized itinerary. Now with everyhting I've learned, I'm definitely taking a carry on for each of us, one of which will have a change of clothes. It's easier to pack that way and not worry. Only three weeks before we leave. Can't wait!

I believe they have changed the luggage handling a little this year. I just got back from cruisetour 19S. We were on the train from Fairbanks to Denali, in Denali one night, then on the train to Talkeetna for 1 night at the McKinley Lodge. Our 'Travel With Me' bag was delivered to the Denali Lodge. It was waiting for us in the room when we got to our room in Denali.

I had not expected this, and asked the Princess outfitters at Fairbanks (just to make sure I understood). They said it had changed from last year.

Like the others have mentioned, I packed one suitcase to go directly to the ship. It had my "smart casual", formal and extra clothing in it. When I got to the ship, it was already in my cabin. I had a small, 2-night suitcase that I packed with extra shirts and clothes to change into while at the Mt. McKinley lodge and which was sent directly from Fairbanks to Mt. McKinley, and I had a rolling backpack that I used for my carry-on and for my overnight in Denali.

The lodges in Alaska are VERY casual, even for dinner, so you really only need clean clothes and perhaps a sweater. I brought only a very light sweater and a rain jacket for the train.

The more efficiently you pack, the more comfortable your train trip will be. Everything you carry on must fit under the seat which in reality, isn't a lot of room. The more you put under your seat, the less room your legs and feet will have. You keep forgetting that your purse, jacket, etc. have to fit under there too -- it's not just your carry-on.

My 2nd day at Mt. McKinley, I sent my 2-nighter suitcase on directly to the ship instead of bringing it with me on the bus. (We went by bus from Mt. McKinley to Seward.) It was also waiting for me in my cabin when I boarded.

I'm still confused about the current carry-on luggage size requirements. My understanding is that the docs say that carryons can be no larger than 17x14x4 though I have heard many say that they could take a much larger size carry on (max allowed by airlines) size of 22x14x9 that would also stow comfortably. Has anyone been on the cruisetour train from Talkeetna to/from Denali or Anchorage to/from Talkeetna within the past few months that can verify? The more responses the merrier.

I just took the train a couple of weeks ago. I carried a 18x10x10 duffel bag that fit completely under the seat. If it had been too much large, it would not have stowed completely. Since I am tall and have long legs, that would have been an issue for me.

Another factor is who you are traveling/sitting with, and how much stuff they have. I was traveling solo, so I also had to leave room for someone else's carryon underneath there -- and also make sure that they could easily exit the seat without tripping over my luggage.

I would not recommend taking a rolling suitcase with you. However, if you were to stash it all the way over (window-side) so that it interfered less with your feet, it might work.

the name of the train is the Midnight Sun Express. I searched on the web and came up with a variety of web pages. You might get a lot of questions answered. Pictures too.

Great idea, nedo!! This is from http://www.midnightsunexpress.com/alaska_rail_learn_more.htm which is the website for the Princess Alaska Rail Tours. There is lots of information there!

Is there a place to store my luggage?

Passengers are limited to two pieces of checked baggage, not to exceed 50 pounds, that must be checked with the Alaska Railroad without charge. Each guest may also bring one carry on, not to exceed 9" by 14" by 22", which will stored under your seat on the viewing level. Please pack any medications, cameras, binoculars or valuables in your carry-on.

Hope this helps!!

Sue

Thank you thank you thank you! I'm so pleased that I can use my usual carry on that I will be bringing with me anyway. I didn't want to have to try to jam everything into a little tiny bag that was only 17x14x4 to include my toiletries, some clothes, camera, whatever else I was carrying with me etc... I really appreciate all of the info and the link!!!

Does anyone have specifics on luggage, size etc, for the Canadian Rockies with Rail CruiseTour?

Thank you.

Just don't put a big W on it with duct tape :eek: or it might show up in my room

See you Ketchikan day at 4PM. :)

Blue sky, smooooth seas, and rolling rails

Archived