Upgrading yourself after final payment?

MtnBikerFallDown

I was thinking that maybe, after we make our final payment, I'd look and see what cabins nicer than ours were going for. Maybe upgrade to an OV or even a balcony. Is that something you can do? Or is it easier to do before final payment? I may not even be able to do it, but it's a thought.

Would you just ask your TA? Do you have to rebook, or is it the same booking, you just change the cabin? Sorry, I'm new at Princess. Thanks!

You can certainly do it, but will be charged the price for the upgraded cabin based on when you booked!

So, hypothetically speaking, I pay in full on 11/25/13 (our final payment date) and a couple of weeks later, I get a bonus and have some more money available. And, at that point, a balcony cabin is $150 more than what I paid in full, but was $300 more when I originally booked. Would I have to pay the $150 or the $300?

Hope this makes sense. I'm figuring I'll probably not even do this, but was curious, just in case something came up after we finished paying. We're in an interior, so plenty of levels up to go! ;)

So, hypothetically speaking, I pay in full on 11/25/13 (our final payment date) and a couple of weeks later, I get a bonus and have some more money available. And, at that point, a balcony cabin is $150 more than what I paid in full, but was $300 more when I originally booked. Would I have to pay the $150 or the $300?
$300. You'd pay the difference between what you paid -- amount at which you booked -- not the fare the same category cabin is being sold for on the day you made final payment.

If you paid $1000 for your cabin and now a balcony is going for $1300 - wouldn't you just pay the difference - $300?
Sure. But lots of times, the fare goes up after you book so what you pay at final payment might be a lot less than the going fare for the category. Let's say you booked an OV for $1,000 and at the time, a balcony is $1,300. At final payment, your OV category is going for $1,200 and a balcony is $1,500. You've paid $1,000 because that's what you booked at. The difference is $500 so if you want to upgrade yourself, you would pay an additional $500. Sometimes, the reverse happens.

Sorry but I'm thinking they would only have to pay $150 more.

The way I read the question is.. if I booked an obstructed view balcony cabin and paid $1000 but now unobstructed view balcony cabins were going for $1150. Since I've already paid $1000 I would only have to pay $150 more to get the unobstructed view balcony.

I'm sure I could be wrong but if that is not the case and it was two day before final payment and it would cost me $1300 for that cabin I would simply cancel and rebook.

That is assuming I didn't book any non refundable sale or something.

Sorry but I'm thinking they would only have to pay $150 more.

The way I read the question is.. if I booked an obstructed view balcony cabin and paid $1000 but now unobstructed view balcony cabins were going for $1150. Since I've already paid $1000 I would only have to pay $150 more to get the unobstructed view balcony.

I'm sure I could be wrong but if that is not the case and it was two day before final payment and it would cost me $1300 for that cabin I would simply cancel and rebook.

That is assuming I didn't book any non refundable sale or something.

It's very confusing the way the poster presented it. They said, "I pay in full on 11/25/13 (our final payment date) and a couple of weeks later, I get a bonus and have some more money available. And, at that point, a balcony cabin is $150 more than what I paid in full, but was $300 more when I originally booked. Would I have to pay the $150 or the $300?" You are right in that one way to interpret this is that they would pay just $150. What's confusing is that it appears that he booked at one price but paid in full at another, which doesn't make sense. I was going under the assumption that what he paid in full was the same as what he booked the cruise for. The bottom line is that to upgrade yourself, you would pay the difference between what you paid for your cruise (the same as what you booked or else something is very strange) and the current cost of the balcony.

It's very confusing the way the poster presented it. They said, "I pay in full on 11/25/13 (our final payment date) and a couple of weeks later, I get a bonus and have some more money available. And, at that point, a balcony cabin is $150 more than what I paid in full, but was $300 more when I originally booked. Would I have to pay the $150 or the $300?" You are right in that one way to interpret this is that they would pay just $150. What's confusing is that it appears that he booked at one price but paid in full at another, which doesn't make sense. I was going under the assumption that what he paid in full was the same as what he booked the cruise for. The bottom line is that to upgrade yourself, you would pay the difference between what you paid for your cruise (the same as what you booked or else something is very strange) and the current cost of the balcony.

Thanks.. That is what I was thinking.. What you actually pay vs the current rate. You pay the difference.

What you can't do is book at a sale price, if the sale is new bookings only (which typically the ones after final payment are).

So, if the regular cabin rate for the upgraded cabin is $300 more than what you original paid, you will pay $300.

If the upgraded cabin is showing as a sale for $150 more but is only for new bookings, you will still pay $300 (since you can't cancel after final payment date without taking a haircut)

I did say it very confusingly, but really couldn't get my little duckies in a row to figure out how else to say it. So, thanks for figuring it out anyway! :o

That was that I was asking. It's totally hypothetical, but I just wondered if you could actually move up to another category, at its current price, after you'd booked, or if you were stuck in your cabin you paid for. Again, I probably won't upgrade, but hey... what if Santa gives me a bunch of cash for Christmas, and I can suddenly get a balcony? It could happen. :D

I did say it very confusingly, but really couldn't get my little duckies in a row to figure out how else to say it. So, thanks for figuring it out anyway! :o

That was that I was asking. It's totally hypothetical, but I just wondered if you could actually move up to another category, at its current price, after you'd booked, or if you were stuck in your cabin you paid for. Again, I probably won't upgrade, but hey... what if Santa gives me a bunch of cash for Christmas, and I can suddenly get a balcony? It could happen. :D

We paid

$1000.00 for a balcony room and I was looking at prices and a mini suite was $30.00 more apiece.

I paid the $60.00 for the upgrade. That's it, no more, no less.

Funny that everyone keeps saying you can't get a sale price after paying in full. I paid in full several months ago, around march, and when princess was running a sale a few weeks ago I called and said I want the sale price. They said that was fine and the fare actually went down again while I was on the phone so I saved just over $200. The only reason I did this is because when I paid my final payment the Princess agent said I could always get the lower fare if I called at asked.

What I thought was weird is that I asked for my savings to be added towards my obc and they said it had to be put back on the card I used to pay with. You'd think they would want to keep the money.

Archived