Can 2 people sit with legs stretched out on Royal balcony

Loreni

Here's an interesting picture of the Promenade Deck. There's another section that has full chaise lounge chairs. It's a usable space, but it's not a wraparound deck for walking. Also, it's not covered which is what I like about our traditional Promenade decks. Hope this link works.

http://tomtotley.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/130609-008-1024x682c2a9.jpg

I am so dissapointed, after reading the latest member reviews of the Royal. We have enjoyed 27 Princess cruises and were looking forward to the new ship,but there are just to many negativs for us to book. I know some of you love the new design and I am happy for you,but for me a ship without a promenade and tiny balconies just does not work. Why have a OCEAN vacation if you can't enjoy the fresh air and sea breezes on the promenad deck. A big beautiful Piazza can be found on many of the better hotels on land!Same goes for the "shoping Malls" on RCL.Maybe we are a bit spoiled with our large minisuits and very big balconies, which we enjoy a lot while eating,entertaining friends or just star gazing. So in the end I wish Princess success with their new design, it is just not right for us and I don't understand why they could not find a better design team with all the money theyhave spend. We will keep cruising and enjoying their older ships.:o:);)

I totally agree with you about the promenade decks. It is so nice to sit outside on them and watch the ocean and it is so much more peaceful than up on the Lido Deck. Also, I love walking or running around them. I don't know what they were thinking. IMO.

WCC

Hi Mom 33, I am aware of the aft cabins with their larger balconies,but there are only a handful for a much larger price and getting them is not easy. As to the promenade deck there is NOT one one the Royal,you are referring to the upper jogging deck which is uncovered and very crowded. Not the same at all as a proper promenade deck which is lower on the ship (closer to the ocean) and covered,perfect for strolling. LIke I said in my post,if you love the ship design go for it,just not for us :)

I was speaking of the Promenade deck 7. There are tables and chairs and loungers for your use if you want to experience the ocean from that deck. I know it is not the full promenade for walking.

Here's an interesting picture of the Promenade Deck. There's another section that has full chaise lounge chairs. It's a usable space, but it's not a wraparound deck for walking. Also, it's not covered which is what I like about our traditional Promenade decks. Hope this link works.

http://tomtotley.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/130609-008-1024x682c2a9.jpg

Thank you. This is a good picture. It looks like a min-stroll is at least possible. I wish it were shaded.

To us, one of the most important purposes of a balcony aboard a ship is to entertain. We like to have fellow passengers over for drinks and munchies and there is no better balcony than the Caribe or when assigned us, a handicapped balcony. What we have seen on this site that is presented as a "balcony" aboard the Royal is just like that in Paris, one that protrudes from French Windows.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Baconeysocial.jpg

To us, one of the most important purposes of a balcony aboard a ship is to entertain. We like to have fellow passengers over for drinks and munchies and there is no better balcony than the Caribe or when assigned us, a handicapped balcony. What we have seen on this site that is presented as a "balcony" aboard the Royal is just like that in Paris, one that protrudes from French Windows.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Baconeysocial.jpg

The balcony on the Royal that you speak of is 41 sq.ft. The balconies on all the other ships of Princess above the Caribe deck are 45 sq.ft. People that book on Baja, Aloha, Riviera and Lido on the other Princess ships will not have difficulty on the Royal. There are big balconies on the Royal. They are spread around the decks and not located on any specific deck like the Dolphin and Caribe decks on the older ships.

I just read a review that it is impossible to sit with legs stretched out on the Royal balconies, even in a suite. I can see that this would be true if facing the sea. In fact some have said it is like sitting on a plane when facing the sea. We are both tall and the balcony is only 4 feet wide, but I think as long as we don't recline the chair back, our knees should not touch the railing. But we like to relax with our feet up. We are thinking of a deluxe balcony or mini suite.

Now, what if we turn the chairs so that they face each other, share one foot rest and put the table and other foot rest inside the room. Then could we both sit with our feet up? We would be facing each other, but at least we could turn our heads to face the sea from time to time. Maybe, we could even recline the chairs back a little before hitting the dividers. Please let me know if anyone has successfully done this. I may have to make a mock-up on my patio with masking tape and my recliner to see if it is possible.

If it is not possible, our back up plan would be to book an inside and plan on lounging on a steamer chair on the Promenade deck. On the Sapphire, the Promenade is shaded and has abundant steamer chairs. While not private, it offers the chance to view the sea without a glass barrier and it offers shade. The Royal appears to only have a handful of lounge chairs on this deck. Anyway, there is no shade on the Royal's promenade, so this is not ideal. Basically, I just want to relax with my legs up and feel a connection to the sea. We have never lounged on any of the upper decks because the chairs usually point away from the sea and/or offer no shade. Also the upper decks can be noisy. We did check out the sanctuary once, but unlike the promenade deck, it was far from the sea which had to be viewed through glass and many of the chairs had their backs to the sea.

So I hope to verify that the balcony on the Royal, while not ideal, can at least work for two people to lounge with their legs up at the same time. Otherwise, if we sail this ship, we will book an inside.

Look for another ship.

Every Royal thread gets me more and more excited!

I don't care about the size of the balcony (booked IA GTY - if I get a balcony it will be a bonus). No way I'm going to pay for a balcony I can't smoke on!

I don't use the Promenade except to smoke so it will be nicer on the Royal to be able to sit in those nice chairs and smoke.

Will miss the aft pool but seems like there is a nice area aft for sea gazing.

I'll probably miss having the mid ship stairs but nice excuse to use the elevator, even if its on floor up! Usually I walk if it's only a few decks up or down.

58 Days!

I only counted 32 loungers on the promenade deck and if one side is smoking, that would only leave 16 for us. It could be hard to get one of these on a ship of 4,000. Also, from what I have seen the larger balconies are in areas where people on the Skywalk can look right into your room, not just the balcony. I don't like this. There may be a few aft facing large balconies, but again what are the odds of getting one; you would either have to book very early or be very lucky.

It seems to me that the Royal and Regal are designed and would be better suited for northern, port-intensive cruises. :(

For what it's worth....we sailed the Caribbean Princess last Feb & the Mini-suite balcony was 49sq ft. January we sail the Royal Princess and the Mini-Suite balcony is on 36 sq ft....about 6'x2' difference or I guess a chase lounger. Little disappointing.

We were booked on the Royal but were disappointed with the loss of a true promenade deck and comfortably sized balconies. We solved our problem by simply cancelling our cruise on Royal and booking on an older Princess ship.

We were also booked on the Royal for February and when hearing about the size of the balcony changed our cruise to the Crown. When we sit on our balcony we want to be able to stretch our legs out and look at the water, not face each other and turn our head to look at the water. The Royal sounds like a beautiful ship and I am not saying we will never sail her. If the price and itinerary is right, we will sail her but probably in an inside cabin. We are not going to pay for a balcony that we can't use.

I recently took a trip on the NCL Breakaway which is their newest ship and also has the issue of tiny balconies. We opted for a minisuite with a "large Balcony" which was equivalent to almost the same size as the Caribe Balconies on Princess, we could fit 2 recliners 2 chairs and a small table very comfortably. It was great and the added size to the room was terrific as well. I would recommend this if such an upgrade is offered on the Royal.:D

There are big balconies on the Royal. They are spread around the decks and not located on any specific deck like the Dolphin and Caribe decks on the older ships.

Can you point me in the direction of finding out where these bigger balcones are located? Thanks you

Can you point me in the direction of finding out where these bigger balcones are located? Thanks you

Some are located on the aft of the ship, mid- ship on all decks, and forward at the bow. They can be seen on the deck plans in the areas I have mentioned where the drawings indicate larger balconies. They are priced higher as are the larger balconies on the other Princess ships.:)

When the Grand Princess started sailing, we quickly fell in love with the Caribe Deck balconies. After quite a few cruises on Grand Class ships we still love those larger half covered balconies and it is one reason (among many) that leads us to book Princess cruises. After seeing those Royal balconies I am not sure we would ever be interested in booking a cruise on that class ship.

Hank

So I have searched the room I have booked, but cannot find any reviews. Have found that one site calls it an odd shaped room, but not what the odd shape is. The cruise is a long way off 12/14 so I have a lot of time to change. Anyone have any information on R234? It is just 1 deluxe balcony in between suites and reg. balcony cabins. Any clue? Thanks

So I have searched the room I have booked, but cannot find any reviews. Have found that one site calls it an odd shaped room, but not what the odd shape is. The cruise is a long way off 12/14 so I have a lot of time to change. Anyone have any information on R234? It is just 1 deluxe balcony in between suites and reg. balcony cabins. Any clue? Thanks
My guess is that it is just a standard room and that the notch is where the service access for piping would be if two deluxe balconies were next to one another.

Archived