dress code

sandiegosun1

What are wife beaters? I know what drives my DH crazy is people eating (sitting at a table, that is) in baseball caps! Maybe there's such a thing as cap-wearer-beaters and he could wear that.:)

They are t shirts with sleeves cut out of them. I guess to show off their muscles?? Dumb

Cool...thanks for the reply. I'll get my lobster via room service!! Yippee! First time cruising HAL this summer coming. Looking forward to it! The formality is scaring me a bit though, I have to be honest. I don't even know what a tuxedo looks like, lol.,,, ( joking)

First time cruising HAL this summer coming. Looking forward to it! The formality is scaring me a bit though, I have to be honest. I don't even know what a tuxedo looks like, lol.,,, ( joking)

Evenings are hardly "formal" in the true sense of the word. Men can dress to code in something as simple as a sport jacket w/tie. Your husband doesn't need a suit to meet the code.

Women can get by with something sparkly, although cocktail wear or holiday wear is often seen.

One of the posters said you can order room service from the dining room menu? As I am assuming lobster is only served on formal nights, can u order it through room service? My husband does not own a suit and we will not be making that purchase for a couple dinners therefore I have to figure out a way to get lobster, lololol!!

I total understand both sides of this debate!!

I personally, will not go to formal night because I would just feel under dressed. They maybe should have a double tier system so u can get the same meals. One sitting for people who wear tuxes and suits and another seating for 'smart casual".. Just a thought.

On formal night from Boston to Montreal on the HAL Maasdam, the waiter supplied the gentleman with a jacket. Some were even allowed on Formal night with just a shirt and slacks, no tie.

What are wife beaters? I know what drives my DH crazy is people eating (sitting at a table, that is) in baseball caps! Maybe there's such a thing as cap-wearer-beaters and he could wear that.:)

I have sat with WWII vets in the MDR at dinner-time, who sported their ball caps, some with their former unit's insignia, and quite a few with the words Semper Fidelis embossed onto their cap.

I never told them to remove their caps...nor did I expect them to.

I'm waiting for my Eurodam cruise on Oct.2 with bated breath. I doubt if I will see any Canadians wearing their wool toques.

• 3 months later...

My husband does not like to wear jackets. He did not wear one on formal night and we were told we could not go to the MDR without a jacket. They had one at the desk he had to wear. He took it off when we got to the table. He had a khaki colored long sleeve denim shirt that he wore over a golf shirt on the 2nd formal night. That was OK. We had never had the policy enforced before on other cruise lines.

My husband does not like to wear jackets. He did not wear one on formal night and we were told we could not go to the MDR without a jacket. They had one at the desk he had to wear. He took it off when we got to the table. He had a khaki colored long sleeve denim shirt that he wore over a golf shirt on the 2nd formal night. That was OK. We had never had the policy enforced before on other cruise lines.

One of the reasons we like HAL ;)

I have sat with WWII vets in the MDR at dinner-time, who sported their ball caps, some with their former unit's insignia, and quite a few with the words Semper Fidelis embossed onto their cap.

I never told them to remove their caps...nor did I expect them to.

I'm waiting for my Eurodam cruise on Oct.2 with bated breath. I doubt if I will see any Canadians wearing their wool toques.

Why would you not expect them to remove their caps? Because it has some reference or signia of WW II it's okay? The war is over, move on already. From someone who did two tours in Vietnam and have the scars and medals to show for it. Would never think it's okay to wear a hat with my stuff on it at a dinner setting such as you describe.

Why would you not expect them to remove their caps? Because it has some reference or signia of WW II it's okay? The war is over, move on already. From someone who did two tours in Vietnam and have the scars and medals to show for it. Would never think it's okay to wear a hat with my stuff on it at a dinner setting such as you describe.

Quite simply, they earned the right. And, I don't think anything I've done would give me the right to tell them otherwise.

First of all, thank you for your service in Viet Nam.

When I first read the post about the WWII Vets wearing their ballcaps, I thought that it should be overlooked. However, I agree with your post ... these gentlemen were raised in the time when men NEVER wore hats inside, so they should understand the etiquette of not wearing ballcaps in a dining setting more than anyone.

When we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam last month, we ate in the Tamarind on one of the formal nights. We took "pains" to pack a jacket and tie for my DH and I packed velvet slacks and top. Yes, I was sorry to see the man sitting next to us in his golf shirt. I agree with those who say "How difficult is it to pack something appropriate to wear on those nights ... or to eat in the Lido or order room service?".

First of all, thank you for your service in Viet Nam.

When I first read the post about the WWII Vets wearing their ballcaps, I thought that it should be overlooked. However, I agree with your post ... these gentlemen were raised in the time when men NEVER wore hats inside, so they should understand the etiquette of not wearing ballcaps in a dining setting more than anyone.

When we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam last month, we ate in the Tamarind on one of the formal nights. We took "pains" to pack a jacket and tie for my DH and I packed velvet slacks and top. Yes, I was sorry to see the man sitting next to us in his golf shirt. I agree with those who say "How difficult is it to pack something appropriate to wear on those nights ... or to eat in the Lido or order room service?".

I totally agree. There are other options for dining if you want to dress casual. To me these people just want to make a statement to say ...hey look at me. I can do what I want. Who cares about a dress code!