Rough waters on alaska cruise???

Whirlwind

If you're strictly Inside Passage Cruising, (R/T Vancouver) there will be less chance of high seas.

If you're sailing from Seattle, or doing a one-way, there is a higher risk of some rough water.

In either case if you're prone to seasickness, take precautions.

Have a great cruise.!

Sam

Also on the run across Prince William Sound it can get very rough if you are on a "one-way".. always take bonine, dramamine.. whatever works best for you so it's there if you need it.. I use Bonine on every cruise (inner ear problem) and rarely get sick.

It is a myth that Inside passage sailing is smooth as glass, it is not. AND ships are sailing less inside anyway. Most all do a fair amount of open ocean. I have been on 11 Alaska cruises, 3 which were all round trips encountered rough sailing, one lasting 3 days with PLENTY of sick passengers. My last trip 5-05, his a few "bumps" and I was surprised of people commenting on the "rough sailing" and some were sick ( if they only knew what rough sailing was :) ) Take precautions if prone, you don't want to miss a minute being ill. :)

got back Sat- just a little bumpy on the open sea days (Diamond Princess)-those 2 days it said 4-7 ft waves- the naturalist said 3 weeks ago it was 25 ft waves with 50 mph winds! The rest of the time it said 1.5-4 ft. Thursday night it must have been pretty bumpy while we were asleep- I heard someone mention the next night that they thought the mirrors were going to fall off the walls- thankfully, I slept thru it! Wore a patch the entire time (changed midweek). I also had Bonine and Dramamine but didn't need it.

Sailed Coral 6/9 Vancouver to Whittier. Hubby was a bit queasy on first sea day and crossing Prince William Sound. Even though seas were 1.5 - 4 ft, I felt the roll. If you are the least bit prone to motion sickness, plan on taking something preventatively. Saw lots of folks with the patch and none of them were getting sick.

Captain Peter Harris's announcement on the intercom as to why we were pitching and rolling on the ms Amsterdam during our May/June cruise to Alaska. Lots of passengers got sick but we didn't because we took Bonine the night before we sailed and each night thereafter. Very few people at the Captain's reception on Monday night or in the dining room. Being the gentleman he was, Captain Harris did apologize for the rough ride.;)

We actually had two nights and one day of rough seas--heading toward Glacier Bay and from Sitka to Victoria, BC. The biggest problem we had was keeping our balance when we walked about the ship; and during the night, we heard lots of creaking and popping as the ship rode the waves. We actually went to the Crow's Nest and discoed during the Friday night storm--just stood in the middle of the dance floor and the ship did the rest. Lots of people moon walked, too! :D What a night.

just got back last weds from a one way vancouver to whittier,

as I am prone to motion sickness, I always take Bonine with me. I would not say the waters were ever rough, but I still used the Bonine on 2 or 3 days simply because of the rocking motion I could feel

I agree with BQ completely, waters can be from one extreme to the other on any given day, so if you have the slightest chance of motion bothering you, then bring the Bonine...better to be safe then sorry, because once you start feeling sick, it is too late to do anything about it. I speak from experience

I have cruised Alaska 6 times. 5 have been extremely smooth. On the last one (May Sun Princess 2005), on the last day - it was extremely rough (en route to Vancouver). We had 15-20' waves and I have never seen so many people sea sick before. Lots of staff were also sick.

I have cruised Alaska 3 times. First 2 didn't notice anything. In May/2005 we knew the seas were rough when the "barf bags" were distributed around the ship on each of the trash cans and such. Always take precautions with you. Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Did I read somewhere on the board that you can buy Bonine at Walmart? I looked at Target this weekend but they did not carry it. Thanks in advance![/quote

They all have Bonine where I live; maybe call the pharmacy department before you go and ask if they have it? Sometimes WalMart does not restock as often so it might not be on the shelf. It is more expensive at WalGreens but it is usually on the shelf there.

They also have the SeaBands at WalMart but you have to ask the Pharmacist for them. They cost about $8.00 for two. We bought these but did not use them--some say they work very well in preventing motion sickness.

Have a great cruise:)

Archived