Tipping in Restaurants & Taxis

Vanta

Tipping is quite different in Italy vs. the United States, and the subject of much discord on these and other travel boards.

In general, service is included in restaurants. Italian citizens sometimes leave a small extra amount, but nothing like the 15% - 20% that is common in North America.

As for taxis, the standard is to round up to the next Euro. If the fare is Euro 5,90, you might want to consider giving 7 Euro (rather than rounding up to 6), but certainly no more than that.

Tipping is quite different in Italy vs. the United States, and the subject of much discord on these and other travel boards.

In general, service is included in restaurants. Italian citizens sometimes leave a small extra amount, but nothing like the 15% - 20% that is common in North America.

As for taxis, the standard is to round up to the next Euro. If the fare is Euro 5,90, you might want to consider giving 7 Euro (rather than rounding up to 6), but certainly no more than that.

Thanks. Would one tip differently for excursions though? :)

For a ship excursion with a bus load of people, 1-2 Euro per person is about right for a guide (someone who shows you around a city, or a museum). Some people also like to tip the bus driver a similar amount. Of course, as always with tipping, it's a personal decision.

I've read what I consider to be excessive tips for private tour operators, who are already charging a pretty hefty fee, but again, it's a personal choice and folks rave about the great times they have on these tours, so ...

One thing to consider on excursions is whether or not the tour operator or an employee is giving the tour.

If the operator themselves are giving the tour, I am less likey to tip or tip heavily as they are seeing all of the revenue. If its an employee, I do factor in that they are not seeing the same price I am paying.

In Europe I budgeted 5 euros per person as a base and if they were excellent, like all of our RIL drivers were, I upped it to 10 euros PP. That keeps it in the 5-10% range. I also offer to buy lunch for the driver/guide when applicable.

Thanks. Would one tip differently for excursions though? :)

One would be wise to carefully research the tipping customs in countries before visiting. In Italy, the norm (and the law in many places) is to include a service charge (tip) in the cost of the meal and it should be mentioned on the menu (usually in very fine print at the bottom of the menu) and say something like Servisio Inclusio. They may also add an item called "Coperto" which is essentially a cover charge or for the bread. Here is a link to an excellent guide on some of these issues:

http://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/travel-tips/how-not-to-get-ripped-off-eating-in-italy

We could write our own lengthy article on the subject but this guy has already done a great job.

Hank

P.S. Many Americans feel guilty if they do not leave a tip...and the Italians (and other European restaurant workers) are well aware of this guilt trip and will not hesitate to take advantage.

Archived