Whale Watch Tour in Bar Harbor, Marie

smakle

I need some advise. My husband and I plan to do a whale watch tour in Bar Harbor, Marie. We will be there mid October. Should I book this excursion from Princess? on book one from a local business? Is that easy to get to from the ship port?

I need some advise. My husband and I plan to do a whale watch tour in Bar Harbor, Marie. We will be there mid October. Should I book this excursion from Princess? on book one from a local business? Is that easy to get to from the ship port?

Personally would book through Princess reason being is every time I've been to Bar Harbor weather conditions caused the Whale Excursions to be canceled. If this occurs Princess would apply a credit directly to your on-board account and you would not than have to chase down getting a refund from the private tour agency.

2 of the more popular whale watch companies in Bar Harbor are:

• Bar Harbor Tours operates from a dock next to the town (tender) dock and is about a 5 minute walk from the town dock. They do offer refunds if the tour is cancelled for weather.
  • Bar Harbor Whale Watching Tours operates from the town (tender) dock.

If you select either one, make your reservations by phone and make sure you understand the cancellation policy - by you or by the whale watch company.

Just in case you did not know, Bar Harbor is a tender port.

SBtS

Great information! Do you know the price difference? Would that be cheaper to book it on my own?

First a question - when are you going to join your roll call?? Don't know what a roll call is? Then read here first.

Prices:

• Bar Harbor Tours: adult - $63.95 purchased by phone ($58.95 by internet); Cancellation Policy - if you cancel with less than 24 hours to go, no refund; they cancel, refund but you must initiate the process by e-mail or phone.
  • Bar Harbor Whale Watching Tours : adult - $59; Cancellation Policy - If you or Bar Harbor Whale Watch cancels for any reason whatsoever, you have the option of rescheduling your trip, or requesting a refund. If you miss the boat due to tardiness or do not show up for your trip, no refund.
  • Princess Whale Watching Cruise excursion (BHB 640): adult - $69; Princess Cruises uses Bar Harbor Whale Watch for their excursion (I believe).

Savings of $10 per adult ticket.

If you do book with BHWW, watch out for a possible exclusivity contract with the cruise line. Don't provide any more info than needed when booking.

BTW, when asking a question about a Port of Call on your cruise, you should ask it at the Port of Call board.

SBtS

Recently back from a Bar Harbor land vacation. Love that town to bits. You will tender in, and it is a very short walk to the whale watch boats.

I researched doing them - but decided against it. Mostly because you have to go 20 miles or more out to sea to see the whales - if you even see them. They do not offer a guarantee on seeing whales (at least that I could find). And, we did that in Alaska last summer.

The boats are very large, and hundreds of people were crowded at the rail with cameras in hand trying to get the perfect fluke or breech shot. And that was just leaving the dock.

Not trying to dissuade you, just know what you're in for. There is so much to do in Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, it's tough to choose.

Archived