Advice on St. John

shabcruzn

My family is looking to do St. John as we did Godfrey last time. Can someone suggest something to do? We just really want to tour and not go to a beach as we don't want to spend so many days in a row at the beach. Can someone suggest a good tour?

It's very easy to get a tour of St. John. The cab drivers give tours and the prices are very reasonable. As soon as you step off the ferry, head for the street and you'll see the cab drivers. Just ask any one of them if they can do an island tour. We had a fellow named Emmanuel as our tour guide. He was excellent. You can start by asking for him. ;)

If you don't want to beach it, but are interested in the scenery, you could rent a Jeep and drive around the island. St John is small enough to loop around the island (North Shore, Centerline Rd, Gift Hill Rd, South Shore), within a reasonable amount of time. There are quite a few interesting sights to see along the way (scenic overlooks, Annaberg Plantation ruins, many hiking trails, Fredericksdahl, Wintberg, & Catherineberg ruins, amazing beaches/scenery, etc.). I would start with the National Park Visitors center in Cruz Bay (a short walk from the ferry dock) and pick up "Feet, Fins, and Four Wheel Drive" - this book countains several self-guided Jeep tours as well as a wealth of information about St. John. Relax and go where the road takes you - stop and look around at whatever seems interesting; the island is VERY safe. Before you are finished, you will already be planning a return trip! Have fun! :)

My family and I are going to go to St. John and snorkel at Trunk Bay. We've heard the snorkeling is great over on St. John! See you in 2 1/2 weeks!

The snorkeling is great - you will LOVE it. Just FYI - there are plenty of other beaches along the North Shore that are just as good for snorkeling (Hawksnest, Cinnamon, Maho, etc.); Definitely worth a look.

Thanks SoxFan for the info. Can the book be purchased at any book stores around here? It sounds good. Are you still a Sox fan after yesterday's game?! At least Clement made it to the All-Star game....now to get Schilling back in top form:)

Thanks SoxFan for the info. Can the book be purchased at any book stores around here? It sounds good. Are you still a Sox fan after yesterday's game?! At least Clement made it to the All-Star game....now to get Schilling back in top form:)

Yes, I'm still a fan, even after yesterday's display :( I'll give 'em a break this time, but they better not make a habit out of it! In the meantime, let's hope for a successful return for Schilling - we need him back!

"Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive" is a great book to have on St. John. I got my copy through Amazon - I think it was around $10. I don't remember ever seeing it at any of our local bookstores (Barnes & Noble, etc) though. It is available at the visitors' center as well as several shops in Cruz bay.

Archived