B2B On the Freedom ~ August 18th & 25th: My Diary

maxs mom

Jane, I was surprised to hear it rained at Saphire, too. We had heard Megan's Bay was the only place on the island it rained that day. Also, although we have been in long lines for food at Megan's, this time there was no line and we were served quickly. How did you get into Barefoot Beach without being in a suite or in a cabana? extra gold card from Willie???;)

Jane, I was surprised to hear it rained at Saphire, too. We had heard Megan's Bay was the only place on the island it rained that day. Also, although we have been in long lines for food at Megan's, this time there was no line and we were served quickly. How did you get into Barefoot Beach without being in a suite or in a cabana? extra gold card from Willie???;)

I could tell you......but then I would have to kill you!! :D

Glad you had a nice day at Megan's. I think it just depends on the day. The last time we were there ......it was a nightmare. So we started going elsewhere.

Taking the Explorer to Bermuda next month!! yay!

You are really taking advantage of this retirement thing! Explorer was the first RCI cruise that we ever did. After sailing mostly with Celebrity we just had to try one of those huge Voyager ships. Explorer will always be special to me.:)

Jane- always love reading your reviews. We are on Freedom in a little over a month so this review has given me a great idea of what to do. I think we might check out your St. Martin beach. We have done little Divi and it was ok not as pretty as your pictures.

Congrats on your retirement, looks like you are easing right into the life!

You are really taking advantage of this retirement thing! Explorer was the first RCI cruise that we ever did. After sailing mostly with Celebrity we just had to try one of those huge Voyager ships. Explorer will always be special to me.:)

LOL!! Yeah.....so far, so good!! We're on the Independence the first two weeks of December, too. We've been on the Explorer a number of times, our favorite being the two week Christmas/New Year's cruises they USED to have.

Jane- always love reading your reviews. We are on Freedom in a little over a month so this review has given me a great idea of what to do. I think we might check out your St. Martin beach. We have done little Divi and it was ok not as pretty as your pictures.

Congrats on your retirement, looks like you are easing right into the life!

Thanks!! Hope you will enjoy Palm Beach. And also the Freedom! Definitely easing into the life!! LOL!!

Well.....good old George got us back to the port. We stopped into Boolchand's to get a filter for my camera. I keep losing the lens cap, so I thought this would be better. We got something to drink and then boarded the tram back to the ship.

DSC00796_zpsfa85d821.jpg

Not too long of a line to get back on today. Wah.......no more ports! We have to go home now!! Thank goodness for two sea days on the way back.

DSC00798_zps8a99399c.jpg

Back on board it was frozen yogurt, showers, and a nap.

Beautiful sail away tonight!

DSC00800_zpscf489e20.jpg

We met Al and Phyllis in the CL for drinks tonight.

DSC00804_zps85697f16.jpg

Had a little fun with Willie.

DSC00805_zps9eae4a02.jpg

The four of us had reservations at Portofino tonight at 8:30. Very nice!! I had the seafood soup again. I like the way they serve that.

DSC00806_zps35ca7d44.jpg

20of%20the%20Seas%202013/DSC00807_zps6b694c9f.jpg.html]DSC00807_zps6b694c9f.jpg

A & P had not eaten in Portofino before so they were amazed by the presentation of the seafood skewer!

John had the T-bone again.

DSC00810_zps369a4a8d.jpg

We just had a great time!

DSC00812_zps107b4286.jpg

I had the chocolate dessert that was on the menu. Never had that before and it was really good. I'll be getting that again.

DSC00813_zps6836a6fa.jpg

DSC00809_zpsde3c189a.jpg

Very nice evening indeed!

Jane, I am REALLY loving your review....especially all the photos! I am to the part about the pop machines. I did get a pop package this cruise, because I liked the glass. I know....expensive glass!! LOL! These machines also dispense flavored water with and without carbonation. That was a plus for me. I am not a huge soda girl, but I do love the flavored waters.

YEAH, I made it to the end.....well, at least as far as you have posted for now! Kay and I had so much fun meeting so many wonderful people on this ship. We loved sharing our boas and making special moments with everyone! Thanks for capturing so many of those moments and posting them here. Your review has been like reliving 2 weeks on the Freedom even though I was only on there for one!! Since we have a B2B booked, I know what I need to do that I have not done yet, and there are quite a few things in your review that I have added to my ever growing bucket list!

My favorite place on Orient Beach is a place called Orange Fever. $7.00 for a chair, umbrella and drink .... I choose the rum punch for my drink and it was quite good. We ate our lunch here, as I have in the past, but this time I ordered the baked grouper.....Kay had the grouper sandwich. We both loved our meals. I must tell you, my grouper was out of this world delicious. I loved every bite of it. I am a HUGE grouper fan and this was prepared perfectly! Their menu is quite extensive and you will be happy to know that they serve your favorite....the hamburger! The menu has 7 burgers to pick from: Hamburger, Cheeseburger, Fish burger, Chicken burger, Veggie burger, Special burger, or Triple X burger. They ranged in price from $9.50 to $14.50. My grouper was $12.50 and Kay's was $11.50 and was actually the Fish burger. They also have appetizers, salads, pizzas, grilled items, specials and desserts. It is a little closer to the "Clothing optional" section of the beach than where you were located. For me, clothing is a necessity.....not an "option"! LOL

We are sailing on FR on Jan. 12, 2014 and they do the whole itinerary backwards: 2 days at sea; St. Maarten (8 AM) St. Thomas (7 AM - 3 PM); day at sea; CocoCay. We get in much earlier to St. Thomas but leave at 3 PM. Only 3 ships in St. Thomas during high season but we have 7 or 8 in St. Maarten. Will be interesting to contrast. I love sailing on FR but always wanted to get in earlier to St. Thomas. Will put lots of responses on my comment card.

Jane -- where is Palm Beach in relation to Kon Tiki? Looking from the water to the beach (that's the way the Panorama map shows it -- http://edsandra.com/photos2005/SmallOrientPanorama.htm

)

Thanks -- Sherri

Ed made that map while parasailing above the beach 8 years ago. I wonder how accurate it is now?

I think Palm Beach is way down the beach from Club O, where the nekkid folk go. We've been there, a glorious site to behold. If someone doesn't like it though, tough.

Ed made that map while parasailing above the beach 8 years ago. I wonder how accurate it is now?

I think Palm Beach is way down the beach from Club O, where the nekkid folk go. We've been there, a glorious site to behold. If someone doesn't like it though, tough.

Do you mean on the other side of the beach from Club O -- Like if you are in the water and Club O is on the left and Palm Beach is on the right past Bikini beach, Waikiki, etc.

Thanks!! Hope you will enjoy Palm Beach. And also the Freedom! Definitely easing into the life!! LOL!!

I couldn't find if you mentioned this but you said the Palm Beach was a bit pricey? You mind sharing? Like how much for taxi, how much for your food? Anything else you had to pay for (I saw chairs/umbrellas were free.)

Thanks for the info.

Loving the review. Congrats on the retirement.

Edited by ContessaK

Standing in the water facing the beach, Club Orient is at your left and Palm Beach is all the way to the right, way past Bikini Beach, etc. A bit pricey.

The St. Martin taxi association controls the rates and if you go to the taxi dispatch area at the pier, look for the rates to Orient Beach. The only thing is that the rates per person drop depending on how many people the driver gets for his cab. Palm Beach is isolated so you will pay the top rate, maybe $8 pp one way or even $ 18 minimum charge. I haven't been to the island in two years.

If you go there or any place on Orient Beach, bring cash. Lots of places don't take plastic and those that do might not give you a 1-1 exchange rate for Euros/dollars. This is France, after all, land of very high taxes.

Jane, I am REALLY loving your review....especially all the photos! I am to the part about the pop machines. I did get a pop package this cruise, because I liked the glass. I know....expensive glass!! LOL! These machines also dispense flavored water with and without carbonation. That was a plus for me. I am not a huge soda girl, but I do love the flavored waters.

Wendy I also will get it on the Explorer because of the waters. I don't drink much soda but love the Dasani! Scott drinks a LOT of soda so he always gets the package.

My favorite place on Orient Beach is a place called Orange Fever. $7.00 for a chair, umbrella and drink .... I choose the rum punch for my drink and it was quite good. We ate our lunch here, as I have in the past, but this time I ordered the baked grouper.....Kay had the grouper sandwich. We both loved our meals. I must tell you, my grouper was out of this world delicious. I loved every bite of it. I am a HUGE grouper fan and this was prepared perfectly! Their menu is quite extensive and you will be happy to know that they serve your favorite....the hamburger! The menu has 7 burgers to pick from: Hamburger, Cheeseburger, Fish burger, Chicken burger, Veggie burger, Special burger, or Triple X burger. They ranged in price from $9.50 to $14.50. My grouper was $12.50 and Kay's was $11.50 and was actually the Fish burger. They also have appetizers, salads, pizzas, grilled items, specials and desserts. It is a little closer to the "Clothing optional" section of the beach than where you were located. For me, clothing is a necessity.....not an "option"! LOL

Do you know if Orange Fever has wifi access? We won't be going to Orient this time around on Freedom but I'm curious for future visits as DH always likes to catch up on news from back home!

Hey :) In May on Vision - heading down to Siesta Key in a few weeks for a week though, can't wait to get in that ocean!

When is yours?

Allure in March unless something changes. I was going to do Indy but that would have made three years in a row doing the same 8 nighter. And since Adventure is going into dry dock shortly after our cruise I decided to put going back to the southern Caribbean off until the refurb is completed.