better travel insurance

bettina

Does anyone know of any travel insurance that would cover cancelations up the the last minute with a full refund? I know Royal Caribbean does not offer that. Maybe through AAA or travel agency? Thanks for any help.

Check policies from CSA, TravelInsured, TravelEx.... A number of insurers used to limit cancellations to two days before sailing. The cancellations have to be for reasons specified in the Policies - some are more "generous" than others, something else you might want to checkout.

You can check these out at the insurers websites or at broker sites like InsureMyTrip, etc.

ken

Does anyone know of any travel insurance that would cover cancelations up the the last minute with a full refund? I know Royal Caribbean does not offer that. Maybe through AAA or travel agency? Thanks for any help.

Yes, thru a national travel club

Because there are so many variables in our lives and our cruise is well into next year we signed up for insurance.

BUT:

Buyer beware.

There are many, many exclusions:

Namely pre-existing conditions can effect payment for hardhship.

You need to read the policy.

It was not cheap.

It was based on cabin category and for the 3 of us it was almost $1000.:eek:

But, we had this insurance when Hurricaine Charlie landed on that Friday the 13th. In Disney and we were re-mbursed for everything we claimed, except the rental car that took us to Tampa. The insurance company would have paid for 3 more days in Disney until Orlando international airport re-opened.

We were happy with the reimbursement amount!

Sea Ya

We had to cancel our Alaska cruise in August one week before departure for medical reasons. RCL promptly refunded the excursion, tips and taxes/fees by the next day. I had Cruise Care insurance through RCL and called them up. I got the form to file by the next day. I just got notified yesterday that the checks for a full refund will be sent out today. They had told us that it could take 3 weeks to process the claim, but for us it was 2.5 weeks.

The only cost to us for canceling the cruise was the Cruise Care insurance premium.

But where I had the definitive travel insurance guide. I will say travel insurance and its coverages on what you are asking, is based for the most part on when you buy it, and probably varies from company to company. it(usually) must be purchased within the first two weeks of booking especially for preexisting conditions, not sure of cancelations but as others have said, most have a point of no return, at least for the whole amount.

Check policies from CSA, TravelInsured, TravelEx.... A number of insurers used to limit cancellations to two days before sailing. The cancellations have to be for reasons specified in the Policies - some are more "generous" than others, something else you might want to checkout.

You can check these out at the insurers websites or at broker sites like InsureMyTrip, etc.

ken

Actually - wrt the 2 days in advance limitation on cancellation, I believe that was only for "Cancel for Any Reason" Cancellations. I believe the major 3rd party insurers (including those listed above) allow covered cancellations up to departure. On a brief look, it Looks like this is the case with CSA and TravelInsured. You can check this by calling the insurers 800 number or a broker like InsureMyTrip.

BTW -- The travel policies specify specific, allowed cancellation reasons in order to be reimbursed. You can usually buy optional "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage for something like any extra 50% of the premium, BUT this is NOT 100% refund and between insurers may vary from 50% to 90%, and with some insurers is less and less a percentage the closer to Departure that you cancel. You have to read the fine print in comparing "Cancel for Any Reason" coverages between insurers! The cruiseline policies usually include some "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage but reimbursement is usually a Future Cruise Credit and usually is cutoff at 2 days or so before departure.

ALSO -- these 3rd party insurers usually hacve much higher medical and MedEvac coverages than the cruiseline insurance, and usually at a (much) lower premium.

ken

You can compare insurance companies/polices of any of the following websites and you're probably needed "Cancel For Any Reason" clause. That will also be noted on these websites.

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

we purchased the insurance at the time of booking with our TA. at a very reasonable rate. also, check with some of your credit cards, I checked with one of mine, but it was cheaper through the TA. a few years back, my husband and I and his parents were booked for an all inclusive to cancun , two days out from leaving, my mother in laws brother passed suddenly, the tA. was under no obligation to do anything, but they did refund half of their money, which I thought was gracious. since then we have always gotten the ins. good luck.

I usually use insuremytrip.com to compare coverage. However recently I've purchased thru my TA as the coverage and cost have been the best. Shop around as you generally have 14 days from deposit to buy insurance and cover pre-existing conditions.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Agree with what others are say... the devil is in the details. You've got to research the policy terms carefully.

I also use insuremytrip. I like the way you can compare coverage side-by-side, and click into the detail descriptions of each coverage line, as well as the overall policy.

The other sites may do this as well.

Does anyone know of any travel insurance that would cover cancelations up the the last minute with a full refund? I know Royal Caribbean does not offer that.

With RCI's CruiseCare plan, if you cancel for a COVERED reason you get a 100% reimbursement of your cancellation penalties in cash. This can happen at any time prior to your departure.

If you cancel for a reason NOT COVERED by the plan, you get 75% of your penalties applied to a future cruise. Again, this applies to cancellation up until your trip departure.

Archived