Marina dining reservations - who knew?

Ka Honu

Reservations for the specialty restaurants on our Marina Transatlantic opened for PH customers last night and I logged on with no problem. For the 18-day cruise we were allowed two per restaurant so I started in. Again, no problem until I tried to make the second reservation for each restaurant on certain dates and was unable to do so.

I called Oceania this morning and found that you are only allowed to make your second reservation for a given restaurant during the last third (six days) of the cruise. Who knew?

I might have expected them to limit second reservations to the second half of the cruise but would never have guessed thirds. I guess that's their way of making sure everyone has a shot at at least one reservation but it seems a bit illogical and arbitrary.

Made all our reservations in the appropriate thirds and am sure we can ask our butler to change if available so no harm - no foul. Just seemed strange.

Reservations for the specialty restaurants on our Marina Transatlantic opened for PH customers last night and I logged on with no problem. For the 18-day cruise we were allowed two per restaurant so I started in. Again, no problem until I tried to make the second reservation for each restaurant on certain dates and was unable to do so.

I called Oceania this morning and found that you are only allowed to make your second reservation for a given restaurant during the last third (six days) of the cruise. Who knew?

I might have expected them to limit second reservations to the second half of the cruise but would never have guessed thirds. I guess that's their way of making sure everyone has a shot at at least one reservation but it seems a bit illogical and arbitrary.

Made all our reservations in the appropriate thirds and am sure we can ask our butler to change if available so no harm - no foul. Just seemed strange.

Policy may have changed, as for our May TA we were able to make our two reservations for the first two days. Sounds strange but things are always changing with Oceania. Still my favorate ships. :confused:

Had exactly the same experience - I consider myself a rather bright :rolleyes: person, but I still can't understand their logic: you can't make second 4 reservations until the second week of the cruise which starts on the 12th day of the cruise ????

I was, however, able to make 6 out of 8 reservations, so I'm a happy camper - don't think we'll starve . . .

Fran (and Jeff)

I still can't understand their logic: you can't make second 4 reservations until the second week of the cruise

The logic is that Oceania would like everyone on the ship to have a chance to experience each of the Specialty Restaurants at least once before those who have additional nights guaranteed get a second crack.

I have no problem with everyone getting a fair chance to book, but was this policy published someplace and I missed it? It would have been helpful to know this prior to my trying to book the restaurants. I would have been prepared and not frustrated by not knowing why I couldn't reserve on certain dates. Most of us usually go with the flow but knowledge helps the sailing to be smoother. We are delighted that the specialty restaurants are included at no extra cost unlike other lines.

Pearl

I have no problem with everyone getting a fair chance to book, but was this policy published someplace and I missed it? It would have been helpful to know this prior to my trying to book the restaurants. I would have been prepared and not frustrated by not knowing why I couldn't reserve on certain dates. Most of us usually go with the flow but knowledge helps the sailing to be smoother. We are delighted that the specialty restaurants are included at no extra cost unlike other lines.

Pearl

Cruises 18 days or more PH suites and above get two reservations on the Marina and probably Riviera at each restaurant as I was advised today. I was just as shocked as everyone expecting one reservation at each Specialty Restaurant but a nice surprise knowing we get 2 at each. Not only are you guaranteed 4 more reservations but in room dining. I have said this before and will say again. Happy to be alive and able to cruise. What did one complain about before the Internet.

Cruises 18 days or more PH suites and above get two reservations on the Marina and probably Riviera at each restaurant as I was advised today. I was just as shocked as everyone expecting one reservation at each Specialty Restaurant but a nice surprise knowing we get 2 at each. Not only are you guaranteed 4 more reservations but in room dining. I have said this before and will say again. Happy to be alive and able to cruise. What did one complain about before the Internet.

I would always complain that the Internet had not yet been invented !!

Brian

:

More or less the same things, except that we complained to our neighbor or our friends in person (or on the phone) :D

The more things change the more they stay the same :)

I guess but unles one is on the Concordia Or Titanic, there shouldn't be much to complain about D. I am happy to travel the world, not cook onboard and have a Butler plus Officers and crew remember me.

The logic is that Oceania would like everyone on the ship to have a chance to experience each of the Specialty Restaurants at least once before those who have additional nights guaranteed get a second crack.

The logic that I don't understand is that the "first week" week is 12 days long :rolleyes: - I perfectly understand the remainder of their logic!

Fran

Archived