Cozumel snorkeling - Money Bar or Palancar?

WisCruiser2

I'm trying to decide between the two. I'm a pure snorkeler; I'll be spending little/no time on beach, and I don't much care about food/service quality either. I just want to spend some time in warm water with a fishy view, and preferably not someplace so crowded that I get kicked by other snorkelers or run over by a boat.

I did a two-reef tour once in Cozumel that was nice, and that I suspect went to Money Bar. I've not been to Chankanaab, mostly because I'm not sure I want to pay $20 on top of cab fare for the pleasure.

Should I go to Money Bar, or pay the extra money for Chankanaab?

I'm trying to decide between the two. I'm a pure snorkeler; I'll be spending little/no time on beach, and I don't much care about food/service quality either. I just want to spend some time in warm water with a fishy view, and preferably not someplace so crowded that I get kicked by other snorkelers or run over by a boat.

I did a two-reef tour once in Cozumel that was nice, and that I suspect went to Money Bar. I've not been to Chankanaab, mostly because I'm not sure I want to pay $20 on top of cab fare for the pleasure.

Should I go to Money Bar, or pay the extra money for Chankanaab?

I have twice seen a barracuda hanging out under the swimming platform at Chankanaab. The area is huge and roped off so you don't have to worry about boats/jet skis running you over. If you explore the perimeter it will take a good bit of time and you will see a lot. The coral is actually right on the sides once you enter the water so you don't have to venture that far out, but we like the statues underwater and jumping off the sun platform in the middle. It's very deep out there, but usually not rough at all. I'm not sure if they have no feeding rules, but we've always taken an egg or two. You won't need food, but it does make the fish swarm. I never thought it cost much as long as you just pay the entrance fee alone. If you haven't been, it is a must see IMHO. Have fun!

I have twice seen a barracuda hanging out under the swimming platform at Chankanaab. The area is huge and roped off so you don't have to worry about boats/jet skis running you over. If you explore the perimeter it will take a good bit of time and you will see a lot. The coral is actually right on the sides once you enter the water so you don't have to venture that far out, but we like the statues underwater and jumping off the sun platform in the middle. It's very deep out there, but usually not rough at all. I'm not sure if they have no feeding rules, but we've always taken an egg or two. You won't need food, but it does make the fish swarm. I never thought it cost much as long as you just pay the entrance fee alone. If you haven't been, it is a must see IMHO. Have fun!

Ooh, there's a swim platform! I love diving/jumping into deep clear water, so that might have made up my mind right there. And not getting run over by a boat is a plus too.

I don't feed fish since one bit me once (and drew blood!) while I was feeding them, so that's not a problem.

Thank you for the information!

Ooh, there's a swim platform! I love diving/jumping into deep clear water, so that might have made up my mind right there. And not getting run over by a boat is a plus too.

I don't feed fish since one bit me once (and drew blood!) while I was feeding them, so that's not a problem.

Thank you for the information!

Chankanaab is a wonderful place to go and snorkel. I have 2 reviews in my signature line if you are interested in seeing pictures of the entire place. It's beautiful and the snorkeling is great. Plenty of fish and sea life to see.

Yes, there is a platform out there and under there you will find statues.

IMG_7849-L.jpg

IMG_5768-L.jpg