RCL handling of policy change

So you regularly check all the policies of every company you have an agreement with? PayPal, Facebook, banks, insurance companies, even apps on your smart phone, etc. all have a requirement to inform their customers if even the smallest part of their policy changes. All it takes is a simple form email. Yes, people will still miss it, but a HELL of a lot less than changing it on the website and expecting people to find it themselves.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

There is a difference in this change... and the changes in financial institutions. This change causes NO financial change in your cruise. It will cost you no more to cruise after January 1 than now. I believe it is the type of change as when they changed the liquor policies. First... we could buy liquor and take it to our cabins or bring on liquor. Then that all changed. How did we find out... when we boarded and couldn't take our purchased liquor back to our cabin. No formal notice... it was a change of policy... it in no way was it financial change. Of course, if I remember correctly many people voiced their objections on CC... threatened to leave RCI (except NCL installed that policy before RCI) and RCI has not wavered. Oh... and I've never gotten a notice regarding changes in Facebook policy or apps for my phone... but then again, I wouldn't expect to, because it has no financial implications.

Although this would NEVER happen, I'm sure there would be an outrage if the cruise line made a change in their alcohol policy. Imagine if they decided that only 3 venues were going to serve alcohol and the drink would not be allowed to be taken out of the venues because of this reason or that. And then didn't notify anyone.

How would it feel to find that out after the fact?

I do believe there should have at least been an email sent out to notify us of the policy change.

Why should you have been notified? I do not see where you have any pending cruises with RCI in your signature line?

Now, I do think Anyone should be made aware of the policy change When making a new reservation. But, just to send a mass notification out to the world does not seem to make much sense to me.

Also, if social media or cc picked up the news first, Who really cares?

If you are one that has a need to be the first to know, then I might suggest you set up a Google alert.

Why should you have been notified? I do not see where you have any pending cruises with RCI in your signature line?

Now, I do think Anyone should be made aware of the policy change When making a new reservation. But, just to send a mass notification out to the world does not seem to make much sense to me.

Also, if social media or cc picked up the news first, Who really cares?

If you are one that has a need to be the first to know, then I might suggest you set up a Google alert.

I've canceled my Quantum cruise. That's why it's no longer in my signature.

I've canceled my Quantum cruise. That's why it's no longer in my signature.

Sorry, but I was not Referencing you. I neglected to push the little button to include the post I wanted to reference. I was referencing post number 40.

Your reply, however is interesting…

So, it's really quite simple. You have a cruise booked with RCI, they have your email address. All I would ask, for any policy change, notification, missed port, is an email notifying me of such. Is that really unreasonable? Proactive communication?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You seem to be very comfortable making blanket statements based only on assumptions for which you have no facts with which to back them up.

And, you are too easily offended. Obviously you have a problem with the change. You are fairly new to these boards. Are you also new to cruising? I've seen a lot of new posters popping up since this was announced. I've been around on these boards for 8 years and we've had many changes. Most of us go with the flow. You haven't even tried to find out if what I said was true, have you? You just choose to be upset and whine.

Do you even have a cruise booked with RCI?

Although this would NEVER happen, I'm sure there would be an outrage if the cruise line made a change in their alcohol policy. Imagine if they decided that only 3 venues were going to serve alcohol and the drink would not be allowed to be taken out of the venues because of this reason or that. And then didn't notify anyone.

How would it feel to find that out after the fact?

I do believe there should have at least been an email sent out to notify us of the policy change.

This makes no sense... the cruise lines did make liquor policy changes years ago... and notified no one. They are not going to not sell liquor by the drink.. so this argument you offer is sort of ridiculous (in my opinion). I do realize that you think you should be notified...and you have every right to think that... but it just isn't going to happen. RCI will send you an announcement if the ship is going to be late, or not sail at all, if the cost of the cruise will increase prior to sailing (watch those oil prices), or if there is another pressing matter.

I'm sorry you feel the need to cancel your booking(s). I do believe you should wait a few weeks before doing so (if your penalty period allows)... Have you not thought of possibly switching to nicotine gum or lozenges on the balcony... and smoking in the smoking areas when convenient? Just a thought... Whatever you do... I hope you have enjoyable holidays at sea or on land.

I wish I had been told this during my cruise this week on the jewel, I would not have purchased 3 open bookings.

Are these NCC bookings transferable? Just a thought... but you might be able to sell them...

It's about time RCL adopted this no smoking policy and I expect RCL to strictly enforce this no smoking policy. I am booking cruises for next spring and I expect my balcony to be smoke-free. I will not accept any delay in enforcement of this no-smoking policy because this is reason I have booked additional cruises on RCL.

There is a difference in this change... and the changes in financial institutions. This change causes NO financial change in your cruise. It will cost you no more to cruise after January 1 than now.

Where did I mention money? I get notifications of privacy policy changes, details of changes in payment methods, when almost anything changes in a company's policy that impacts me as a customer, I get a courtesy email notifying me as such. The last one I got was from Hotmail I think. I've also got them from instagram and others. No financial impact whatsoever there.

This policy will have financial impacts for some people, and regardless of that, the absolute least I would expect is a short form email notifying me of the policy change. They already have everyone's email addresses. It's not a difficult thing to do.

This makes no sense... the cruise lines did make liquor policy changes years ago... and notified no one. They are not going to not sell liquor by the drink.. so this argument you offer is sort of ridiculous (in my opinion). I do realize that you think you should be notified...and you have every right to think that... but it just isn't going to happen. RCI will send you an announcement if the ship is going to be late, or not sail at all, if the cost of the cruise will increase prior to sailing (watch those oil prices), or if there is another pressing matter.

I'm sorry you feel the need to cancel your booking(s). I do believe you should wait a few weeks before doing so (if your penalty period allows)... Have you not thought of possibly switching to nicotine gum or lozenges on the balcony... and smoking in the smoking areas when convenient? Just a thought... Whatever you do... I hope you have enjoyable holidays at sea or on land.

A few months ago, a gentleman came on our roll call for this upcoming cruise to let us know that one of our ports have changed from Livorno to LaSpezia. I was not notified by RCI and had a tour scheduled in Livorno through RCI.

When I contacted RCI, I was told there was no difference between Livorno and LaSpezia and there was no need to change my tour.

Boy it was a good thing I google mapped it to find that it's about an hour away. They didn't change my tour either. I had to cancel it myself.

So, I do believe customers should be notified on certain things.

Where did I mention money? I get notifications of privacy policy changes, details of changes in payment methods, when almost anything changes in a company's policy that impacts me as a customer, I get a courtesy email notifying me as such. The last one I got was from Hotmail I think. I've also got them from instagram and others. No financial impact whatsoever there.

This policy will have financial impacts for some people, and regardless of that, the absolute least I would expect is a short form email notifying me of the policy change. They already have everyone's email addresses. It's not a difficult thing to do.

You said...

"So you regularly check all the policies of every company you have an agreement with? PayPal, Facebook, banks, insurance companies, even apps on your smart phone, etc. all have a requirement to inform their customers if even the smallest part of their policy changes."

PayPal, banks, insurance companies, are all financial institutions... thus the notice would be regarding finances, including but not limited to the handling of funds, interest rates, etc... I also said that I never have gotten a Facebook or app notice (via email or mail)... If you have.. good for you... but this is a non-argument... notices regarding financial impact are required... others are optional. Not being able to smoke on a balcony had no direct financial implication on you or anyone else. Actions you take in response to this news may have financial implications... but that is at your hand and no one forced you to do so. You are responsible for your own actions. You may not like that.. but that is the way it is... You can expect whatever you want... but you will just be disappointed. Where you like what I have said here, or not, hope this clarifies my response to your post.

I hope you enjoy your cruises on other lines... as much as you have on RCI.

You said...

"So you regularly check all the policies of every company you have an agreement with? PayPal, Facebook, banks, insurance companies, even apps on your smart phone, etc. all have a requirement to inform their customers if even the smallest part of their policy changes."

PayPal, banks, insurance companies, are all financial institutions... thus the notice would be regarding finances, including but not limited to the handling of funds, interest rates, etc... I also said that I never have gotten a Facebook or app notice (via email or mail)... If you have.. good for you... but this is a non-argument... notices regarding financial impact are required... others are optional. Not being able to smoke on a balcony had no direct financial implication on you or anyone else. Actions you take in response to this news may have financial implications... but that is at your hand and no one forced you to do so. You are responsible for your own actions. You may not like that.. but that is the way it is... You can expect whatever you want... but you will just be disappointed. Where you like what I have said here, or not, hope this clarifies my response to your post.

I hope you enjoy your cruises on other lines... as much as you have on RCI.

Once again, just because I mentioned banks, doesn't mean the policy changes I've been notified of were about money. I got a notification from my bank not long ago that they wouldn't be sending me letters any more. It had nothing to do with any money whatsoever, except for the fact the service the bank is offering is related to money. Just because money is not directly involved doesn't mean Royal Caribbean should not notify people.

For example. You sign up with a company and their policy is that your information with them will be kept entirely private. They change their policy that they will share all your information with 10, 000 other companies. You're not impacted financially whatsoever, but it certainly does have an impact on you. You should be notified so you are given the option to pull out of your relationship with that company - because what they promised at the beginning of the relationship has changed.

I've been meaning to ask this on several threads. But those of you who are upset do you cruise to smoke? Or do you cruise to cruise? Also, how many of those whining actually book balconies? There are too many threads about how expensive balconies and suites are and that to cruise a lot of people book inside. It seems a lot of posters are coming out of the woodwork who have never actually had a balcony, but are suddenly offended by the change.

It's not like it's a ban on smoking onboard. It's just a a ban on smoking on a balcony of which not every smoker even has.

Also, not sure why some think they should be told immediately. RCI doesn't know who smokes and who doesn't. It will trickle down just like EVERY change has.

I've been meaning to ask this on several threads. But those of you who are upset do you cruise to smoke? Or do you cruise to cruise? Also, how many of those whining actually book balconies? There are too many threads about how expensive balconies and suites are and that to cruise a lot of people book inside. It seems a lot of posters are coming out of the woodwork who have never actually had a balcony, but are suddenly offended by the change.

It's not like it's a ban on smoking onboard. It's just a a ban on smoking on a balcony of which not every smoker even has.

We always stay in a suite because I'm spoiled and because I need a balcony to smoke. I'm a pretty horrid site first thing in the morning (not to mention grouchy) and don't like having to go out of my room for my first morning smoke.

Also, not sure why some think they should be told immediately. RCI doesn't know who smokes and who doesn't. It will trickle down just like EVERY change has.

I don't smoke. I just think Royal Caribbean have gone about this the wrong way.

and LindaO, have fun on the Allure in December for your mom's birthday. You're going to have an awesome time!!

Thank you! I'm so blessed to still have my mother (so many of my friends do not)... and she LOVES to cruise... she decided last year (when we sailed for her 80th) that all her birthdays would be on a cruise!! The Allure will be very special...

We always stay in a suite because I'm spoiled and because I need a balcony to smoke. I'm a pretty horrid site first thing in the morning and don't like having to go out of my room for my first morning smoke.

We always stay in a suite also and like to use our balcony to look at the ocean and relax. We love the sound of the sea, but we do not smoke and never, ever will because we choose to stay healthy. DH and I were talking about this earlier and have actually gone inside several times due to the smoke drifting onto our balcony. Your right to smoke doesn't override our right to breathe clean, fresh, ocean air.

Do you work? I'm betting you have to go outside to smoke there. Do you smoke inside your home? Or do you get dressed and go outside there also. We dont' allow anyone to smoke inside our home, but that hasn't been an issue for at least 25 years as none of our family or friends smoke.

The main point here is RCI has made a decision and it's not going to change, period.

It's just getting funny with all the "righteous" indignation. If anyone thinks RCI hasn't researched this, they're very, very wrong.

I don't smoke. I just think Royal Caribbean have gone about this the wrong way.

Why? Because they didn't send out a warning? Disney has already announced their ban and other lines are doing the same. I said a couple of weeks ago on another thread that this was coming, but some just have their head in the sand.

All of these smokers should thank RCL for this updated policy and take the opportunity to stop smoking. It's almost 4 months until the start of the new policy, that should be plenty of time to kick the habit.

I don't always agree with your posts, but lol.

Archived