Booking Direct vs. Travel Agent

jmak315

I am reposting something that was deleted due to a reference to a specific website (though I was not even specific in my reference and the website is not itself a TA or OTA). I think this information is still of value to this discussion .I have omitted the specific reference.

I found that even a lowly Inside Stateroom ($899/pp) booked far in advance

can earn a bit some OBC if you get the OTA's to quote the cruise. There is at least one website that let's you solicit quotes from different travel agents.

I remember being surprised that the agent on the other end of the phone

could not really answer any of my other questions. I also realized that I

was booking through the lowest bidder, and that they were likely giving up

some of their commission. I was Okay with that knowing that I enjoy

researching stuff for myself anyways. I didn't really need an advocate.

I think I found CC shortly after that!

So, yes, next time I would figure out what cruise I want and then solicit

bids so that I could get the best deal!

BTY, there are TA that charge a service fee. One post's on this board from time to time.

That was my experience - maybe a different agent, but there was a small service charge tacked onto my invoice. I would assume I'm paying something for the service anyway, but something about having it listed as a separate line item chafed me but good.

We use a TA sometimes... I do all the research and book the cruise then turn it over to the TA IF I think the perks are worth losing control over the booking. I have been able to snag aft balconys and price drops on my own. My TA "says" she watches for them but has never come through. So I give her those that I watch for less then the 60 days that seem to be going up - like Quantum that has gone through the roof. I always get at least OBC and sometimes more. No huge OBC like some mention but say $150 for a balcony on Oasis. That will pay for my tips so it is worth it to me.

That said it is a brick and mortar so I get slowwww answers to my emails and phone calls. Days go by even weeks with email. Phone calls are usually returned same day M-F. If I see a better cabin or price drop I am out of luck and it has happened. I would never go with one who did not give perks or charged for changes. Let it be said I am not a pest to them at all. Maybe one or two calls per booking and that includes making final payment.

You really have to decide if it is worth the extra hassle to turn over your booking to a TA for a perk. Sometimes it is just not worth the headache. I can do great as my own agent.

If you are a new cruiser there is a lot to know and think about...insurance, hotel pre and post cruise, rent a car or take a cab. Where to book on a ship, passports. Cruise critic has made me somewhat an expert and of course a lot of trial and error. My friends and family all say I missed my calling - I say part of the fun is in the planning.

This is indeed an interesting thread on a subject that has come up many ties before. Our own experiences are a composite of many of those already posted. Our first cruises, way back in the dark ages of the early 1990's were booked through a local TA - that is just what you did then. We paid full brochure price and never got any "extra perks" - we had no idea about this until we heard other cruisers talking about it. We then booked several through online agencies and were pretty well satisfied with that process. We could call them on the phone if necessary and they were always helpful. about 10 years ago or so we once again tried a local "cruise only" agency. It was a mess. Never again. Since then, we have done a mixture of OTA and direct bookings. In a couple of cases it required multiple calls to the OTA to resolve a simple issue that would have been one call to RCI. As has been described, we know what we want so we shop online to see if any of the OTAs are giving perks (prepaids, etc) for the same rate as RCI direct. If the perks are significant, we use the OTA, otherwise we book direct. In either case we know what we want down to cabin numbers before booking. We will not use any kind of third party TA for very minor price difference or small perks such as shore excursion credits which we never use.

Bottom line: Only advantage to using a TA would be to save money (free stuff = save money). In some cases money savings can be offset by hassle of having a third party (TA) involved. Just our 2 cents.

You have to do what you think is best for you no matter what everyone else is doing. I'm a huge backer on an online travel agent, maybe because I have found one of the best in the business. I don't need anybody to guide me or make reccomendations, just process the order. I don't need anybody to be available 24/7. The only people I need available 24/7 are policemen, firemen, and emts. After the Hawaii, Christmas/New Years cruise I just booked, I have never had any pressing need to contact them via the phone. I get my cabin changes, price reductions, and upgrades via e-mail. It's all about the Benjamin's and I couldn't be happier, but that's just me.

I think your reference to the Benjamins is precisely what I was referring to when I referenced the Whales/High Rollers. Deep pockets tends to get more perks than being frugal. Thanks for clarifying that.:D

I talked to a TA about switching my RCCL booking to him -- gave him reservation # and he transferred my booking to him before talking to me. I had to send RCCL a fax requesting that they get my booking back and I told the TA to release my booking back to RCCL. The TA offered me an OBC to keep the booking but after that sneak move I no longer trusted him. I will control my own arrangements.

I talked to a TA about switching my RCCL booking to him -- gave him reservation # and he transferred my booking to him before talking to me. I had to send RCCL a fax requesting that they get my booking back and I told the TA to release my booking back to RCCL. The TA offered me an OBC to keep the booking but after that sneak move I no longer trusted him. I will control my own arrangements.

This had to be a long time ago. A travel agent has to send you a form (or Royal Caribbean can send it to you) to send directly to Royal Caribbean to transfer a booking. You have to fill out all the sailing info and sign it and send it to RC before it is transferred. If this was recently, a TA would have to forge your signature to make that happen.

Our TA has us fill in the transfer form and we fax it to RC ourselves.

Someone was really unscrupulous if they did that. All TAs are not like that.

This had to be a long time ago. A travel agent has to send you a form (or Royal Caribbean can send it to you) to send directly to Royal Caribbean to transfer a booking. You have to fill out all the sailing info and sign it and send it to RC before it is transferred. If this was recently, a TA would have to forge your signature to make that happen.

This is not true.

I can't speak for other Travel Agents, but as a TA myself I try to provide OBC, Dining Reservations, etc... as perks. I also help with disability accommodations, shore excursions (both finding and booking), specialty restaurants, tuxedo rentals and provide info on every port of call including health and safety suggestions.

For instance if I had a passenger traveling to Honduras I would tell them that Honduras is endemic for Typhoid and Hepatitis A and that the CDC recommends vaccination especially for immunocompromised tourists.

I also keep a list of active cruise bookings and try to check for price changes. If the price goes down I automatically apply the price changes.

Also should a problem arise before/during the trip I try to get it resolved.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

RCI has to assign the TA to the booking. As a TA I have not seen anywhere in their system how to do it.

There's a link to the precise form I fill out (emailed to me by my TA) on Royal Caribbean's website. There's a link to the form on the last line of the answer from Royal Caribbean:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=2004&faqSubjectId=323&faqType=faq

There's a link to the precise form I fill out on Royal Caribbean's website. There's a link to the form on the last line of the answer from Royal Caribbean:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=2004&faqSubjectId=323&faqType=faq

Sorry, I meant I have not seen how to assign an existing booking to my self. On the TA site under the transfer section it gives us the same form to send to the client. Then RCI reviews the form and assigns the booking.

For instance if I had a passenger traveling to Honduras I would tell them that Honduras is endemic for Typhoid and Hepatitis A and that the CDC recommends vaccination especially for immunocompromised tourists.

Are you saying that you recommend special vaccinations for your clients traveling to Roatan?

This sort of thing doesn't happen in the UK so yes I'm a bit envious:D but surely the only way the TA can offer this is because he has been paid commission by RCI so it's added on to the cost of the cruise you have paid for anyway. You are only getting back money you have already paid.

Well yes, exactly! That is why we choose to use a TA vs. booking directly if the perks are high enough.

The other thing, besides giving back their commission, is that because our TA is a very large one, they are able to book us into group rates that then allow for extra perks that do not come out of the TA's commission - so in the end, it results in even more savings for us.

Are you saying that you recommend special vaccinations for your clients traveling to Roatan?

No, I am saying that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends vaccinations for travel to Roatan. I would provide them with this link or this page in pdf format so they can read it and make that decision with their physician.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/honduras

PS: I DID get vaccinated against Typhoid before I went on a cruise with a stop in Roatan.

Nope, this happened earlier this week. I did not get a form to send directly to RCCL to transfer a booking. The TA left me a voice mail message stating that he had transferred my booking to his agency, appended it to another travel group which requested an additional $250 deposit, and offered me a $75 OBC. Once I composed myself, I called the TA and requested that he release my booking back to RCCL. It should be done today. I am so annoyed!

Nope, this happened earlier this week. I did not get a form to send directly to RCCL to transfer a booking. The TA left me a voice mail message stating that he had transferred my booking to his agency, appended it to another travel group which requested an additional $250 deposit, and offered me a $75 OBC. Once I composed myself, I called the TA and requested that he release my booking back to RCCL. It should be done today. I am so annoyed!

I would never do business with that person. Any reputable agent would have you sign the form I provided a link to above. That's why I said they would have had to have forged your name. Reservations should never be transferred without the cruiser's ok on it.

I just recently booked through a natl TA, got half priced deposit & $125 OBC on a 6 night cruise. I already knew which cabin that I wanted and got it, deck 9

ocean view. The biggest incentive for us was reduced deposit & the $125 OBC

Know I wish that I would had booked a longer cruise for more incentives. I need to ask if i=I can upgrade with out loosing anything,,,,,,,,,

the onboard credit was nice, but the half price deposit is what it says it is, it still has to be paid with the balance. our ta. mentioned that as well, said we could re-book and pay half the dep. but it still would have to be paid eventually. maybe your's is different. but for us, it was either pay it now, or pay it later. have a great time on your cruise.

Service!!!!!! Like today when my TA screwed up and paid off a cruise in April of 2015 and not the one in 72 days!!!! Hopping mad here and they have not even returned my call yet!!! If I controlled my booking this would NEVER have happened!!!! I know they will fix this but not impressed with how they handle my cruise or my money!!! (Small Rant)

The only way that that TA could have transferred that reservation to his agency would be to forge your signature as it is required.

Also you are NOT paying to use a TA, the commission comes out of what the cruise line charges, there is no added amount UNLESS that TA charges a service fee.

I really try to stay out of these discussions but there was too much misinformation here. As in any business, there are people who are good at what they do and people who are not. I look at travel as an investment of money and time and just as you would when hiring someone to do work on your home, it pays to do a little homework to ensure that you are getting the best value for your money. Some people enjoy researching and planning themselves and are experienced enough to handle any problem that can arise, but not all travellers are like that.

Just my 2 cents....

The only way that that TA could have transferred that reservation to his agency would be to forge your signature as it is required.

Also you are NOT paying to use a TA, the commission comes out of what the cruise line charges, there is no added amount UNLESS that TA charges a service fee.

I really try to stay out of these discussions but there was too much misinformation here. As in any business, there are people who are good at what they do and people who are not. I look at travel as an investment of money and time and just as you would when hiring someone to do work on your home, it pays to do a little homework to ensure that you are getting the best value for your money. Some people enjoy researching and planning themselves and are experienced enough to handle any problem that can arise, but not all travellers are like that.

Just my 2 cents....

Glad for your 2 cents. Agreed, the only way TA could have changed it was to forge a signature on that required form.

I love doing my own research for trips. I don't transfer my sailing to a TA unless there are significant $$ involved. Getting gratuities, OBC, and specialty dining on a 12 night cruise, the last cruise I transferred got me that, definitely qualifies.

Hello All,

This will be my first post on CC, but I have been a long time follower of the message boards. I have been debating the topic of this thread for a while, and as a first time cruiser I have decided to go the route of getting a travel agent. While I have been looking at local travel agents (in Toronto), they have unfortunately not given me the best deals. I have also frequented the RCI website and have not found the prices/perks I want. However, I have come across a travel agency in Vancouver, BC (quite a distance away from me, so I'm a bit hesitant). But this TA has offered us some great rates! About $200 p/p cheaper than what I've seen on the RCI site and with the other local TAs in Toronto.

I know that with the Internet and online bookings, we may not be directly dealing with someone within our local area, but I'm concerned that this deal might be too good to be true. A lot of you that go through TAs have mentioned that you go through a local TA. Have any of you gone through an out of town or even out-of-state/province TA? Should I be hesitant to go through with this booking? Any advice would be grateful!! Thanks CC!

Hello All,

This will be my first post on CC, but I have been a long time follower of the message boards. I have been debating the topic of this thread for a while, and as a first time cruiser I have decided to go the route of getting a travel agent. While I have been looking at local travel agents (in Toronto), they have unfortunately not given me the best deals. I have also frequented the RCI website and have not found the prices/perks I want. However, I have come across a travel agency in Vancouver, BC (quite a distance away from me, so I'm a bit hesitant). But this TA has offered us some great rates! About $200 p/p cheaper than what I've seen on the RCI site and with the other local TAs in Toronto.

I know that with the Internet and online bookings, we may not be directly dealing with someone within our local area, but I'm concerned that this deal might be too good to be true. A lot of you that go through TAs have mentioned that you go through a local TA. Have any of you gone through an out of town or even out-of-state/province TA? Should I be hesitant to go through with this booking? Any advice would be grateful!! Thanks CC!

Trish, it has been my experience that the closer the TA was to my location, the worse the experience. I am sure there are plenty of exceptions to this, but after 16 cruises I can say this has been true for me. Our dealings with online agencies have always been good. In other words, if you are otherwise okay with this person I would go ahead. I am assuming that this is a "brick and mortar" storefront agency and not a .com agency. If that is the case, you may be able to search for local feedback or BBB info (if you have that in Canada, I plead ignorance). If it is a .com, you should be able to find some feedback on the web. Unfortunately, that is not something you can find here.

Archived