Sold Out to Flash Sale?

RMM34667

Yeah I know someone is going to tell me I need a life. And I do! But this really did start innocently enough.

I look every day at how many cabin are available in the category I booked a GTY. Then if often look at the next level up to see what is available.

But I was thinking tonight that for a sailing that was SOLD OUT for a year there seems to be an awful lot of cabins available. Well maybe I should not say available - I should say Unassigned as there are probably another hundred or so passengers who like me booked a GTY.

Anyway, I decided to count how many unassigned cabins there were in all categories on the 10/29 Royal sailing and this is what I found:

October 29th

Zero Suites

83 Mini and Premium Mini Suites

185 Balcony (includes any deluxe or obstructed deluxe)

73 inside cabins

341 unassigned cabins

I thought WOW that seems like a lot for a sailing in 52 days that was actually sold out for a year. So I wanted something to compare it to and counted the unassigned cabins on the 11/3 sailing (which I also booked a GTY) and here is what I found:

Nov 3

3 Suites

48 Mini and Premium Mini Suites

28 Balcony (includes any deluxe or obstructed deluxe)

40 Inside cabins

119 unassigned cabins

It "looks" like the 10/29 sailing has almost 3 times as many cabins available.

So I'm thinking we will see some price reductions or a flash sale coming. (I do know any flash sale would not effect me. And I am already quite happy with the rate I booked).

I'm just amazed at the change from sold out to so many cabins unassigned.

I am "gambling" on this same principle for another ship. Sure hope you are correct about the flash sale for unassigned cabins. I really want to get on this ship, but don't want to do it for the price listed. Final payment was due a couple of days ago. Ship doesn't sail until November. I am watching this like a hawk. Haven't seen much movement in cabins at all (buy/sell/trade/cancelled).

Thanks for your optimism.

That 29 October cruise is priced way too high, so not surprised there's so much availability -- especially since it's only 5 days long. Too far to come to FLL for many people just for five days, then when you figure paying nearly $300 per day (for an inside!) . . . well, new ship or not, that's crazy.

Yeah I know someone is going to tell me I need a life. And I do! But this really did start innocently enough.

I look every day at how many cabin are available in the category I booked a GTY. Then if often look at the next level up to see what is available.

But I was thinking tonight that for a sailing that was SOLD OUT for a year there seems to be an awful lot of cabins available. Well maybe I should not say available - I should say Unassigned as there are probably another hundred or so passengers who like me booked a GTY.

Anyway, I decided to count how many unassigned cabins there were in all categories on the 10/29 Royal sailing and this is what I found:

October 29th

Zero Suites

83 Mini and Premium Mini Suites

185 Balcony (includes any deluxe or obstructed deluxe)

73 inside cabins

341 unassigned cabins

I thought WOW that seems like a lot for a sailing in 52 days that was actually sold out for a year. So I wanted something to compare it to and counted the unassigned cabins on the 11/3 sailing (which I also booked a GTY) and here is what I found:

Nov 3

3 Suites

48 Mini and Premium Mini Suites

28 Balcony (includes any deluxe or obstructed deluxe)

40 Inside cabins

119 unassigned cabins

It "looks" like the 10/29 sailing has almost 3 times as many cabins available.

So I'm thinking we will see some price reductions or a flash sale coming. (I do know any flash sale would not effect me. And I am already quite happy with the rate I booked).

I'm just amazed at the change from sold out to so many cabins unassigned.

You said it.

If prices are reduced, they'll most likely be for new bookings only. So, if you're already booked, you'd have to cancel and rebook. If it's after final payment, you won't get all of your payment back and have to submit to your insurance (if you have "cancel for any reason" for the difference minus the cost of the insurance.

Weigh your options and do the math before making any changes. :)

If prices are reduced, they'll most likely be for new bookings only. So, if you're already booked, you'd have to cancel and rebook. If it's after final payment, you won't get all of your payment back and have to submit to your insurance (if you have "cancel for any reason" for the difference minus the cost of the insurance.

Thanks for chiming in Pam. I am watching and waiting. Currently do not have a booking on the cruise I have my fingers crossed for. In your opinion...do prices go up the closer to sailing or go on "clearance" if there are 50-100 cabins left? I know I am taking a chance. I know that they still have to place guarantees. I am just hoping they start upgrading passengers and open up more insides. If I don't make it, I will be sad, but have several other cruises confirmed.

If you watch these things a lot you probably already know this, but if cabins are sold on a flash sale the lower price likely won't show on the Princess site. Sometimes they go out to travel agents who sell the cabins off at a lower price. Some may disagree with me, but I've seen cabins sold for less through large online companies than what Princess shows. I've tried to get that price and Princess responded that they weren't selling at that price, so they would not match it. Watch all the deals out there and see what you can get.

Yes the pricing program Princess uses is weird. Have recently booked two cruises in the 20 -40 day out period.

Travel agent fares was 20% or more better than what was Princess web sight best price.

Yesterday got a special from the one which is associated with the traveling gnome. Their price was 10% better than a 100% on line travel agent which offers me price reductions over the best fare available.

I asked them if they could match it and they said they could not as it was less than their cost and must be a mistake (they say they talked with Princess and they told them it must be a mistake). I also talked with several other agents and they all said it must be a mistake.

It was not!! I booked it and got confirmation from princess last night.

If I was a travel agent like this words largest WEB based agency I would be livid that another agency got a better price. Story from this is shop around and do not buy from princess web sight.

Just relax! Whatever you get you get! I won't tell you to get a life but I am sure you can spend the time doing "something else". It does seem odd to me that that cruise is not closer to fully booked than it is. Just the number of people from CC that are booked should indicate that. Unless you are all sharing a couple of cabins ;)

I do know price changes won't effect me. As I said in the original post I'm happy with the price I paid. This wasn't really about the cruise fare, more just about fact it was marked as Sold Out for a year. I am thinking that was a marketing gimmick on Princess part. To make the cruise seem more desirable.

Just relax! Whatever you get you get! I won't tell you to get a life but I am sure you can spend the time doing "something else". It does seem odd to me that that cruise is not closer to fully booked than it is. Just the number of people from CC that are booked should indicate that. Unless you are all sharing a couple of cabins ;)

Relax? Do something else? Well I suppose I could sit here with an airsoft gun waiting for the raccoons to show up! Just wait and see what I'm like after I book the 29 Day Regal for next October. I'll be impossible to be around.

But Chuck I'll keep you posted if I see a flash sale! Maybe you could change your mind about this sailing. I hear they do put the NFL Games on MUTS so maybe you wouldn't miss a Patriots game. I'm sure there is SOMEONE around who would love your tickets!

RMM- we've been watching this too. The funny thing is that when we tried, in February, to book those cruises, all the insides were completely sold out. As soon as the ship launched, cabins started to become available. By final payment, there were more and more available. I think the Royal Princess reviews have definitely taken a toll.

RMM- we've been watching this too. The funny thing is that when we tried, in February, to book those cruises, all the insides were completely sold out. As soon as the ship launched, cabins started to become available. By final payment, there were more and more available. I think the Royal Princess reviews have definitely taken a toll.

Just think.. there are 341 unassigned cabins.. and 342 inside cabins. We can all sail in a balcony - except one unlucky cruiser!

Just kidding of course. I know they probably have 100 - 200 booked as GTY! In a few weeks it will show up as sold out again!

But still... It makes you wonder....

I would think Princess also releases all the group reservations that didn't sale at various intervals before the sailing date. It makes sense that there would be a constant shuffle of people upgrading, getting their guarantee assignments, and canceling for various reasons. I'm on one of those sailings and check the booking site almost every day out of curiosity but figure it just gives me a general idea how full it is getting.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I thought the reservation system would only show the

first 9 available cabins in a category. Or, did you check

every cabin number?

Relax? Do something else? Well I suppose I could sit here with an airsoft gun waiting for the raccoons to show up! Just wait and see what I'm like after I book the 29 Day Regal for next October. I'll be impossible to be around.

But Chuck I'll keep you posted if I see a flash sale! Maybe you could change your mind about this sailing. I hear they do put the NFL Games on MUTS so maybe you wouldn't miss a Patriots game. I'm sure there is SOMEONE around who would love your tickets!

It's not my mind that needs changing! :(

Any way you are correct about the Tix! I have already been reduced to 5 games because SOMEONE wants my tix! Poor Glenn is going to freeze his behind off in Dec.

Susan is scrambling now cause she just realized that no one will be around on Thursday, She might have to take a vacation day because we will all be at the game!

29 day cruise??????? :eek: Are you planning to retire by next Oct????

29 day cruise??????? :eek: Are you planning to retire by next Oct????

No need - 7 weeks personal time next year. And it's ok with my employer if I take 5 of them at the same time! I just can't get sick (or Ma can't get sick) cause it all comes out of the same bucket!

Archived