Booze Cruise Melee

JD75

I just read in the Gazette about the Bermudian booze cruise melee with the stabbings... Were there tourists on the cruise or was this something generally for locals?

From what I read, it sounded pretty crazy.. here's the link to the story

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050704/NEWS/107040130

Is Bermuda really plagued by heavy gang activity? or is this aspect of the story trumped up?

If it was Friday night the mainline cruise ships are not there. The only one that is there over the weekend is a Radisson or Seven seas ship and I doubt that anyone from that ship was doing this but you never know.

There are definately gangs in Bermuda but they are primarily groups of thugs as opposed to large-scale criminal operations. Most of them deal drugs and fights erupt over territory, pride . . .etc. Tourists rarely ever encounter them since they tend to hang out at 'local' bars that don't advertise, so tourists rarely see those places (except maybe Club Malabar near Dockyard). Sometimes fights break out between gangs at local soccer or cricket events, but again tourists are rarely at events like that.

The cruise in question was very likely a local thing. I wasn't even aware there was one going on until I saw the fuss in the paper. The Government is shocked by what happened, hopefully there will be a crackdown on the gangs.

JD75..........hello neighbor......from over here in Foxboro.....

I just read that article and it sickens me that such a beautiful place as Bermuda is dealing with gang issues. There have been a few occurences of gang related crime, but nothing to this extent. My husband is Bermudian, we live in Foxboro and he will not go back to Bermuda. Although the drug problems and crime rates are lower than other islands, he has no desire to ever go back there. He has family there, a daughter and 3 grandchildren, a son who is in the states at college, but goes home to work for the summer. I myself haven't been in 10 years. Last time was for a nieces wedding and I took my 2 year old twins and my sister. We had a wonderful time and want to go again. We are planning to go on a cruise in the spring of 2007 and now that the girls are older he's kind of OK with it. I will not be telling him about this story.

Those poor people on the boat, how frightened they must have been.

dondonma

This is only semi-related - but we took the Don't stop the Carnival excursion in June and while in dock waiting to leave from Albouy's point we saw someone working on the boat take cash from a bunch of teenagers ( i would not guess them to be past 18 if they were that). they jumped on right before we left dock and couldn't get to those Rum Swizzle's fast enough. Then when we arrived they ran to the open bar and one/two of them was totally smashed half-way through the show. You could see the irratation the show performers had with them as they slopped drinks on the dance area and tried to be part of the show.

And sure enough as we were exiting the boat a fight broke out as one of the drunk kids pushed down a tourists wife.

My point is - we paid quite a bit for this show and totally enjoyed the event - these kids aren't old enough to handle open bar situations and should not have been allowed on for i'm sure no where near the price the rest of paid for pre-ordered tickets - was it done to fill the boat - i don't know.

hi DONDONMA, (my neighbor)

This was obviously an isolated incident that I thought would be a good subject change for discussion.. I'm going to Bermuda for the first time at the end of this month and I still think I'm going to a wonderful island.. Like Swizzle said these "gangs" are just local thugs (which every community has).. In today's Boston paper there's an article about a 4th of July party in one of the rugged Boston neighborhoods where 4 people were shot. I've been reading the Bermuda newspaper online for a couple months now and I've noticed there's not a lot of crime and virtually no gun crime on the island.. seems like the weapon of choice is the machete.. Crime certainly wouldn't be a justifyable deterent to visit Bermuda, I'm very much looking forward to going.

I've been reading the Bermuda newspaper online for a couple months now and I've noticed there's not a lot of crime and virtually no gun crime on the island.. seems like the weapon of choice is the machete..

Firearms of all types are illegal in Bermuda. Because Bermuda is so isolated it is difficult to smuggle one here, with airport security nowadays only a fool would try to bring one over on a plane! I suppose the odd one shows up here by boat but then you'd have to smuggle ammo as well since it's not for sale here.

Is possible it was Radisson this article referred to as this really is a booze cruise with most of it complimentary.

No it had nothing to do with Radisson it was a local boat. As far as I can tell no US cruise passengers were on it.

Is possible it was Radisson this article referred to as this really is a booze cruise with most of it complimentary.

Oh I can see them now .......all those senior citizens drunk and fighting! ;)

sorry couldn't resist:rolleyes:

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050709/NEWS/107090121

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050708/OPINION/107080171

After this and another incident this week with people trying to steal a scooter with machettes..

I think this is a good idea.

I still think Bermuda is the best island and ive never been afraid while there, and kid cause trouble everywhere.

But this is a bit unsettling to see the gang violence erupting on the island.

How bad is it really swizzle?

Where are the kids getting the machettes?

From the landscapers?, I cant click on the link at the bottom.

It takes me to an Ohio website for some reason..

I still think Bermuda is the best island and ive never been afraid while there, and kid cause trouble everywhere.

But this is a bit unsettling to see the gang violence erupting on the island.

How bad is it really swizzle?

Where are the kids getting the machettes?

From the landscapers?, I cant click on the link at the bottom.

Bermuda is a very safe place, thankfully gang activity is generally limited to the "background" and gang violence is usually against other gangs over drugs or whatever. For tourist crimes it is mostly addicts who are doing it as they need quick money for a fix. I don't know where one could find comparable crime statistics so that you could get an idea of Bermuda's crime rate compared to cities in the US or Europe but I'll see what I can do.

Machettes are common on the island because they are used by the landscaping firms. Because they are widely available they are the weapon of choice for thugs. There have been some calls for machettes to be banned on the island but I doubt such a ban would have much impact, thugs will just use something else (a piece of pipe, a wrench . etc.)

Swizzle, you dont have to look for stats for me..lol

I was just wondering out loud, since it seems to be in the newspaper alot lately.

I know, not much else to print im guessing so they have to print what the can.

My boyfriend is a landscaper here in New Jersey.

When we go to Bermuda we watch how you guys do it down there.. he cant imagine using a machete for most of the work. lol

I finally got the link to work and the guy has a point with the power equipment.

I would think most of the landscapers would be using that instead of the the machetes, for the good of the plants and for an easier work day.

But I guess it is old school. I also dont see the ban working.

I still find Bermuda to be the safest place ive ever visited and will continue to go there. We love the island and the people.

Archived