Making the DR more contemporary??

cruzn buckeye

[quote name='cjknox']I think everyone's getting a little too jumpy here. Making the MDR contemporary doesn't mean elegant nights will stop and ATD will be implemented.[/quote]

If the definition of contemporary is marked by characteristics of the present period, it means pants to the ground, twerking, backwards ball caps, eating on the run in front of a TV, and making the rich pay for our Carnival cruises.

Or maybe it's the decor of the dining room itself. Stripping all formal aethetics, and making it look like a sport bar. Pinball games in the corner. Wall to wall TV's. Strobe lights going off for the lava cake deliveries during the birthday wishes.

[quote name='CarnivalBreeze319']By contemporary, I thought it would mean the elimination of set dining times and the elimination of a dress code. In other words, a less formal dinner.

I still think they will keep their fun characteristic, with Fun times and waiters dancing etc.[/quote]

I don't know if I would like this. I don't know if it would alleviate lines or crowds or help the servers to manage better. But since no explanation was given, who knows what was meant by "contemporary?"

I'll never understand the complainers who feel they "won't be able to dress up" if the elegant night dress code is eliminated. Can't you think for yourselves??? Living in New Orleans, it's not uncommon to go to a very nice restaurant and have a party wearing tuxes and dresses seated next to a party in shorts and t shirts - and no one seems the least bit bothered by this. Why is it such a huge deal on a cruise ship? No one is interfering with your evening by choosing to dress differently than you.

If Carnival were to eliminate elegant night I feel their photo sales would take a huge hit.

Only having YTD makes more sense but, I don't think some of the older ships could handle that with only having 2 MDR and zero speciality restaurants.

I think it will be more contemporary food. ie. more comfort food options.

[quote name='CarnivalBreeze319']By contemporary, I thought it would mean the elimination of set dining times and the elimination of a dress code. In other words, a less formal dinner.

I still think they will keep their fun characteristic, with Fun times and waiters dancing etc.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"]I hope you are 100% right!!!

Only time will tell :D
[/SIZE]

[quote name='SPKEMO']If Carnival were to eliminate elegant night I feel their photo sales would take a huge hit.

Only having YTD makes more sense but, I don't think some of the older ships could handle that with only having 2 MDR and zero speciality restaurants.

I think it will be more contemporary food. ie. more comfort food options.[/quote]
I agree on the first statement. I think it is the 3rd largest revenue producer on the ship. Making it YTD totally might be part of it....I hope not, but that is just me. We enjoy traditional dining. My fear is a move away from trdtional dinng ala NCL.

MTD does not work for everyone.

Carnival seems to have lots of larger groups of families/friends who want to dine together. If the only option available is MTD, imagine being on line with a group of 20 or 30 in front of you.....!:(

You can only put so many other smaller dining venues on a ship. The majority of the passengers still need to be accommodated in the 2 main dining rooms and or the evening buffet.

Changes in how the food is prepare and what food will be offered would seem to be the most logical way they may choose to go. They may even add more items to the buffet or create/change some of the existing food options...shushi bar, burito bar, Shake Shack, more Guy's burgers, donuts, pretzels, etc.

If there is another way to sell more photos and bring in more revenue, you can believe that some form of a more formal type dress evening will still exist whatever it may be called. People like to take photos when they are dressed up to take home to show their friends and families....look what we did while on the ship! Eliminating any type of a more formal dress does not generate more revenue for Carnival.

My bet is on the food/menus being offered.

MARAPRINCE

[quote name='adaptabl']Most CC members want them to dump the formal dinners. It's time they go for good.

Nothing is stopping you from playing dress up every night if you want.[/QUOTE]

And you got the information where, that MOST CC MEMBERS want the formal dinners dumped??

Adaptabl? It doesn't sound like it, at all.

We do not "play dress-up" ever (well maybe then ;))
We dress for what's appropriate for the occasion or event!
A suit for DH at work, I am a schlep at home then...lol.
He's a schlep when he gets home.
If he's playing home handyman (& yeah, then he is "playing") schleppier.
The beach-swimsuits, shorts tanks flip flops etc...
If we go out to a casual place, shopping or a friends home, we dress nice casual.
When we ride our Harley's, black, boots, leather, silver & lace for me.
A nice dinner in town---business or very nice, depending on who & where.
Etc.......
Our friends and family always joke with us about being so versatile.
Biker in the morning and fine diners by night, i.e.
It would be a cold day before we'd not at least dress nicely in a dining room with linens and chandeliers.

We think this run amouk casual attitude is crap.
Along with it has come a generation of spoiled, selfish & disrespectful people.
It's all, awwww, who gives a crap........well thankfully, some still do!

Some teachers wonder why the kids don't treat them with respect?
Well, if they'd dress like someone in authority and not like their students they might earn some. Not that all districts allow it or all teachers do it (my DDIL always dresses very nicely). But we have noticed many do!

[quote name='MissKIA']Everything they change, they change to save money. Dumping Elegant Night and the [U][SIZE=4]dancing waiters doesn't save them any money[/SIZE][/U]. That just doesn't make sense.[/quote]

That is correct. However, if memory serves there are hundreds of posts complaining about slow dinner service since the waiters have more responsibilities/tables. Dancing waiters not only wastes times that could be better used to make serving meals more efficient but makes the dining experience more like eating at Chuckie Cheese.

Cheers!

[quote name='Tantra1']That is correct. However, if memory serves there are hundreds of posts complaining about slow dinner service since the waiters have more responsibilities/tables. Dancing waiters not only wastes times that could be better used to make serving meals more efficient but makes the dining experience more like eating at Chuckie Cheese.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Well, most people, including myself, love the MDR entertainment. I don't see it changing any time soon. Perhaps did you try eating in Steakhouse or other specialty restaurants?

[quote name='CarnivalBreeze319']Well, most people, including myself, love the MDR entertainment. I don't see it changing any time soon. Perhaps did you try eating in Steakhouse or other specialty restaurants?[/quote]

Guess I'm in the minority, I could care less about the MDR entertainment. It doesn't bother me but I wouldn't be sad to see it go away either.

[quote name='Warm Breezes']I disagree. Both of NCL ships MDR's are anytime and I have yet my only waits there have been on elegant for approx. 15 minutes....same as CCL anytime.[/QUOTE]

We have had the opposite experience on NCL - average waits of 20 minutes plus if we do not go before 6:30

I beleive you guys are correct!..... You are in the minority. Take a look around during the next entertainment on your next cruise. Count how many people are not clapping, dancing pr waiving the napkins around. Whether you like it or not, the majority does. I would sincely hope that the beards concentrate on other more important things than dancing singing wait staff.

[quote name='jimbo5544'] I would sincely hope that the beards concentrate on other more important things than dancing singing wait staff.[/quote]

I completely agree. I'd far rather see the quality of the food improved. It's not bad, but it could be a lot better.

[quote name='silvercrikhix']And you got the information where, that MOST CC MEMBERS want the formal dinners dumped??

Adaptabl? It doesn't sound like it, at all.

We do not "play dress-up" ever (well maybe then ;))
We dress for what's appropriate for the occasion or event!
A suit for DH at work, I am a schlep at home then...lol.
He's a schlep when he gets home.
If he's playing home handyman (& yeah, then he is "playing") schleppier.
The beach-swimsuits, shorts tanks flip flops etc...
If we go out to a casual place, shopping or a friends home, we dress nice casual.
When we ride our Harley's, black, boots, leather, silver & lace for me.
A nice dinner in town---business or very nice, depending on who & where.
Etc.......
Our friends and family always joke with us about being so versatile.
Biker in the morning and fine diners by night, i.e.
It would be a cold day before we'd not at least dress nicely in a dining room with linens and chandeliers.

We think this run amouk casual attitude is crap.
Along with it has come a generation of spoiled, selfish & disrespectful people.
It's all, awwww, who gives a crap........well thankfully, some still do!

Some teachers wonder why the kids don't treat them with respect?
Well, if they'd dress like someone in authority and not like their students they might earn some. Not that all districts allow it or all teachers do it (my DDIL always dresses very nicely). But we have noticed many do![/quote]

You are on a Carnival cruise in the caribbean. Casual dress is approriate.

Teachers in North Korea dress like people in athority. How is that working for them.

Times change, The days of stuffy cruises are gone (At least on Carnival). Thankfully Carnival seems to see this trend and is adjusting to the market. Good for them and us. Now they need to scrap the 70's/80's decore in the dinning rooms.

[quote name='adaptabl']Times change, The days of stuffy cruises are gone (At least on Carnival).[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but you're really off the mark here. I can tell you that, "the days of stuffy cruises" were just as much fun, laid-back and, when appropriate, just as casual as a Carnival cruise. Even pre-WWII cruises offered deck games, swimming pools, drink specials, buffets, etc. The biggest difference is they knew that, when one goes to a nice restaurant, such as the main dining room at dinner, one should dress for the occasion. Nothing stuffy about it at all.

While I'm about as thick-skinned as they come, this reverse snobbery towards people who like to "play dress-up" is ridiculous. Yes, things do change – but to equate dressing up to stuffiness is just as inappropriate as equating casual dress to sloppiness.

Archived