What do I miss?

banderboo

I'm struggling between the taking the train or renting a car to go from Fairbanks to Denali and then on to Anchorage.

On the pro side of taking the train, no one will have to drive. On the con side, I'll be stuck with whatever is within walking distance of the hotel, unless we pay for a tour/shuttle. With a rental car, I have the freedom to go wherever, but someone has to drive.

What will I miss if I don't take the train?

I'm struggling between the taking the train or renting a car to go from Fairbanks to Denali and then on to Anchorage.

On the pro side of taking the train, no one will have to drive. On the con side, I'll be stuck with whatever is within walking distance of the hotel, unless we pay for a tour/shuttle. With a rental car, I have the freedom to go wherever, but someone has to drive.

We took the train from Denali to Anchorage. I loved it!! What you will miss is a relaxed and very comfortable trip with a full time guide that narrates the trip. There is a dining area on the train.

However, if I had the time & inclination I would do the rental car.

It gives you so much more freedom of movement. This is important in Denali, too. It opens up more hotel/restaurant choices. . . . and means you can stop along the way to see some of the sights.

Either transportation method does have positives and negatives. :) It's up to you to determine which would work better for you. BUT- sorry you ARE going to have to pay for a tour/shuttle either way you go. The whole point of going there is to get INTO the park, which means, in my opinion, at least an 8 hour investment of time, and 2 nights.

I have done both the train and drive, multiple times, but my preference is always to have my own car. The train, is ONLY used when I have a purchased coupon and I'm flying out of Fairbanks for an extended time. I'm never in Fairbanks without a car either. You might want to head to your library and take out THE MILEPOST. Read through the Parks Highway and see if any stops are a priority for you. Be sure you are going to Fairbanks for some touring, if you aren't going to be there a few days. One way car rentals are only available through a few agencies, and come with some higher drop fees.

Archived