Got a call from the upgrade fairy: moving up to the suite life!

trajan

First cruise with NCL. We had a mini suite booked on the Jewel 6 day Van to LA for Sept 21. Got a call from a nice lady at Norwegian today. She offered an upgrade for the 3 of us (wife, 3 year old son and I) to a 2 br suite, 574 sq ft, for $900. Called my wife and we agreed to go for it. Very rushed decision, still kind dazed but happy. Sounds fantastic for us!

So now I gotta ask did we really get a good deal? Am looking up the extra amenities. Anything else I should know?

First cruise with NCL. We had a mini suite booked on the Jewel 6 day Van to LA for Sept 21. Got a call from a nice lady at Norwegian today. She offered an upgrade for the 3 of us (wife, 3 year old son and I) to a 2 br suite, 574 sq ft, for $900. Called my wife and we agreed to go for it. Very rushed decision, still kind dazed but happy. Sounds fantastic for us!

So now I gotta ask did we really get a good deal? Am looking up the extra amenities. Anything else I should know?

TOO COOL! Congrats.....Your son having his own room is worth the upgrade in itself, All three of you will love this, especially at bedtime, he will have a nice playroom & quiet sleeping environment, the extra bedrooms are pretty soundproof, nap time will be great, also you and mom can stay up later.:D

Check the NCL site for all of the extra amenities you will now have, and also your new extra crew members will help. NCL suite crew members love "little people". You should also see changes when you log into "My NCL".

YOU WILL LOVE IT. Well worth that amount. You will love the bathroom! The Suite Life on NCL is amazing.

Congrats on the suite! You will love the perks.

FYI - you were contacted by the upsell desk, which is very different from the upgrade fairy (pretty much non-existant on NCL). The upgrade fairy that people talk about is when you are moved (usually without consultation) to a higher grade cabin. The thing is, just because it's a higher grade doesn't mean it's better.

TOO COOL! Congrats.....Your son having his own room is worth the upgrade in itself, All three of you will love this, especially at bedtime, he will have a nice playroom & quiet sleeping environment, the extra bedrooms are pretty soundproof, nap time will be great, also you and mom can stay up later.:D

Check the NCL site for all of the extra amenities you will now have, and also your new extra crew members will help. NCL suite crew members love "little people". You should also see changes when you log into "My NCL".

Ty! The layout does look perfect. And yeah, the change is already updated online. Looking thru the website and hearing all the positive comments on here any reservations I had are long gone. It looks fantastic.

Excellent deal, you will be spoiled! One thing you may not know is that, like the Kid's Club staff, the concierge and butler are not included in the DSC, and should be tipped separately. Other than that, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Robin

Did not know that about the tipping. Tyvm! Any suggestions for what a fair amount would be?

And thanks everyone for all the kind words. I think this will definitely be a great intro to NCL. :)

Congrats on the suite! You will love the perks.

FYI - you were contacted by the upsell desk, which is very different from the upgrade fairy (pretty much non-existant on NCL). The upgrade fairy that people talk about is when you are moved (usually without consultation) to a higher grade cabin. The thing is, just because it's a higher grade doesn't mean it's better.

Ahh that makes sense. Either way she was a very nice fairy. ;)

Yep! The perks listed on Norwegian's site are a bit confusing, and leave out a lot of information. Since the question comes up frequently, I created a Word Doc that I update any time something changes. It will help you know exactly what perks you qualify for, and I hope you find it helpful! Here it is...

Here are a few tips to help you sort out the different types/levels of suites on NCL. Perks come with all full suite accommodations. Mini-suites do not fall into that category. Any stateroom category that starts with an "S" is considered a full suite.

1.) Some ships are equipped with a Haven, and some are not. Ships that are equipped with a Haven will have two levels of suite: Haven suites and non-Haven suites. Haven Suites are designated by the letter "S" followed by a number. Non-Haven Suites are designated by the letter "S" followed by a letter.

2) Haven suites have access to the Haven regardless of where they are situated on the ship. The Haven has its own pool, hot tub, sauna, and sundeck. Some Haven's also have a retractable roof over the central area.

3.) The Haven suites on Epic, Breakaway, and the new-builds coming soon also have several other private areas as well.

4.) All suites have access to a private restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

5.) All suites have Butler and Concierge service.

6.) All suites receive invitations to a special cocktail reception with the Captain and other Officers.

7.) All suites receive priority embarkation and disembarkation, as well as priority tendering.

8.) All suites receive one bottle of Sparkling Wine, one large bottle of water, a bowl of fresh fruit (replenished upon consumption) and a fresh flower arrangement in their suite, along with treats delivered daily by the Butler. (Note: Garden Villas, Deluxe Owner's Suites and Owner's Suites receive Champagne instead of Sparkling Wine)

9.) Garden Villa's receive 6 bottles of alcohol with unlimited mixers, soda and water, while Deluxe Owner's Suites and Owner's Suites each receive 3 bottles of alcohol with unlimited mixers, soda and water.

10.) All suites are provided with a variety of Elemis brand toiletries.

11.) All suites are equipped with a Coffee/Cappuccino/Espresso Machine (Most are Lavazza pod-style machines, including Jewel now, however the Sun has Lavazza machines in the Owner’s Suites, but drip-style coffee brewers in all other suites.

12.) All suites have access to the Pre-Cruise Concierge service, which helps to coordinate your individual selections on pillow types, coffee and tea preferences, and a variety of special requests.

13.) All suites (except the SG and SJ suites on Deck 12 of the Star) have a portable phone which can be used throughout the ship.

14.) All suites are equipped with the "Bliss Bed" which truly lives up to its name.

15 All suites have an expanded Room Service menu. - Pretty much order whatever you want, whenever you want, and you will get it if it is available on the ship.

Also, you asked about tipping the Butler & Concierge. This is another of-discussed topic (usually gets pretty heated, too). I'll try to give you the Cliff Notes. :rolleyes: Many suggest starting at $10 per person per day (first two in the suite only - smaller amount for additional guests) for the Butler, and $5 per person per day for the Concierge, and then adjusting up or down from there based upon how much you feel you have utilized their services, and the quality of the services provided to you. That being said, many others report tipping much smaller totals. It is an intensely personal decision, and only you can really decide how much to tip based upon the service you receive. ;)

Congrats on the upsell, and get ready to have the time of your lives, and be spoiled rotten. We got our upsell in '06, and have stayed in suites ever since. Enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY!!!!! :D

Did not know that about the tipping. Tyvm! Any suggestions for what a fair amount would be?

And thanks everyone for all the kind words. I think this will definitely be a great intro to NCL. :)

Well, there are LOTS of opinions on tipping for those in suites. Here is the latest thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1911224

Take a deep breath before you start reading.

Funny, in another thread I dreamed of this very thing (mini-suite to 2 bedroom on the Epic) and I was told that could NEVER EVER EVER happen. :D Congratulations.

I have suite envy. :)

1237773_10151780218348046_1267460769_n.jpg

Wonderful news! We are on the same cruise :)

You ought to come join our Roll Call for this cruise...it is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1663996&page=31

BTW, looks like you got the upgrade because all of the mini suites are sold out. They want to make money selling your old cabin. ;)

Waldospepper: we did not have a portable phone in our aft PH 9076 either time. No biggie. Just wanted to provide info.

Thanks, Donna! I made an edit to the document so it reflects that information now. I truly appreciate these tidbits of info that folks provide from time to time, because it helps me keep the info accurate.

Thanks again! :)

Thanks, Donna! I made an edit to the document so it reflects that information now. I truly appreciate these tidbits of info that folks provide from time to time, because it helps me keep the info accurate.

Thanks again! :)

Happy to help in a small way to your incredible imformation re: NCL suite life! It is fantastic!

In March, when I expressed my disappointment to Monica about no Lavazza she offered to bring us one. But I was afraid it would take up too much space so I declined her kind offer. Wish they would at least put a Keureg or Nespresso in there.

Thanks for keeping us informed. I will be back on the Sun in 13 months in 9276 next time. The mirror image if 9076.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yep! The perks listed on Norwegian's site are a bit confusing, and leave out a lot of information. Since the question comes up frequently, I created a Word Doc that I update any time something changes. It will help you know exactly what perks you qualify for, and I hope you find it helpful! Here it is...

Here are a few tips to help ...

...being said, many others report tipping much smaller totals. It is an intensely personal decision, and only you can really decide how much to tip based upon the service you receive. ;)

Congrats on the upsell, and get ready to have the time of your lives, and be spoiled rotten. We got our upsell in '06, and have stayed in suites ever since. Enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY!!!!! :D

Brilliant. Ty WaldosPepper.

And if the service is good I have no problem with your suggested rate for tipping. We usually think before the cruise we will be tight with our tips and every cruise we've been on we end up so happy near the end we tip way more than we intended.I hope we have the same problem this time. :)

Funny, in another thread I dreamed of this very thing (mini-suite to 2 bedroom on the Epic) and I was told that could NEVER EVER EVER happen. :D Congratulations.

I have suite envy. :)

1237773_10151780218348046_1267460769_n.jpg

heh Thanks! Looking at that floorplan it is frankly going to be weird being in a cabin and our son is not in the same room as us. Gonna take some getting used to.

Archived