Venice hotel for 22nd wedding anniversary

Karysa

If you have a special gem of a hotel that accepts one night stays on a friday in May I would be most greatful if you would share.:) (under 300euros and in a convenient location would be a bonus). Thanks:)

Convenient to what ..... St Marks, the pier, train station, airport?

it would be easier if you looked at hotels on expedia, tripadvisor, or venere.com . The sites all have map features so it's easy to drill down on whichever area you want to stay. When you have 5 or 6 hotels that seem suitable to you, ask for feedback.

If you have a special gem of a hotel that accepts one night stays on a friday in May I would be most greatful if you would share.:) (under 300euros and in a convenient location would be a bonus). Thanks:)

We stayed at the Bauer Palladio for a few nights last year. Superb hotel, excellent staff and well recommended. It's on Giudecca but the hotel runs a speedboat shuttle (called Snoopy!) over to near St Mark's every half hour.

http://www.palladiohotelspa.com/

Most Fridays in May are coming up on booking sites at around the 350€ mark, so a little out of budget, but not by much :)

Mands

We stayed at the Bauer Palladio for a few nights last year. Superb hotel, excellent staff and well recommended. It's on Giudecca but the hotel runs a speedboat shuttle (called Snoopy!) over to near St Mark's every half hour.

Most Fridays in May are coming up on booking sites at around the 350€ mark, so a little out of budget, but not by much :)

Mands

Actually, I'm not so sure it's a great recommendation. It is a lovely hotel but for that sort of price I'd want something fantastic. But perhaps my view is skewed because I got a great deal so paid massively less than that. Ack, indecision, sorry :)

Mands

We have booked in at the Hotel Arlecchino for two nights next month and have heard some very good reports about it. Apparently there is only one small bridge to cross from Piazzale Roma, which is where the buses and traffic stop. Hope this is of some help :).

Di

Convenient to what ..... St Marks, the pier, train station, airport?

it would be easier if you looked at hotels on expedia, tripadvisor, or venere.com . The sites all have map features so it's easy to drill down on whichever area you want to stay. When you have 5 or 6 hotels that seem suitable to you, ask for feedback.

I am overwhelmed by those sites right now. Too many choices. We are coming in by plane and going out by ship if that helps.:)

Mands

Beautiful. Thanks. Since we only have a short time I am hoping to be able to get to St. Marks Square very early in the morning, so we won't want to have to rely on a boat schedule.

We have booked in at the Hotel Arlecchino for two nights next month and have heard some very good reports about it. Apparently there is only one small bridge to cross from Piazzale Roma, which is where the buses and traffic stop. Hope this is of some help :).

Di

Thanks I tried this hotel yesterday but I think that they require 2 nights on weekends like many others. Enjoy your upcoming visit.:)

Actually, I'm not so sure it's a great recommendation. It is a lovely hotel but for that sort of price I'd want something fantastic. But perhaps my view is skewed because I got a great deal so paid massively less than that. Ack, indecision, sorry :)

Mands

Fantastic will cost me over 500euros so right about now I am willing to settle for anything above decent. Any ideas?:)

Beautiful. Thanks. Since we only have a short time I am hoping to be able to get to St. Marks Square very early in the morning, so we won't want to have to rely on a boat schedule.

No problem, but in case anyone else is interested the shuttle runs takes five minutes and docks next to Harry's Bar, so a five minute walk to St Mark's.

Mands

:)

There are only two Hotels that you can get to by public transportation or land taxi; Santa Chiara or Ca'Doge. All the rest of the Hotels you must take water taxis and pull your luggage over bridges. It depends on how much luggage you want to schlepp and the cost of the water taxi to get you to your Hotel. After you figure out what location you want look at Trip Advisors comments and go from there. Good Luck :)

Venice is expensive no matter how you slice it, and convenience is relative.

The most convenient place to stay is around the Piazzale Roma if you are strictly concerned about getting TO Venice from the airport and getting FROM your hotel to the cruise.

On the other hand, there are more interesting areas to stay in Venice, either closer to St. Marks or in a different area. That's why it's difficult to recommend something without knowing exactly where you stand. (From Piazzale Roma to St. Mark's square takes a vaporetto ride up the Grand Canal of about 30 minutes' duration, or a slightly longer walk.)

If the St. Marks area is important to you, you can always take a water taxi (expensive but often you can find someone to share with on the spot) to your hotel, so convenience then becomes a lesser issue. You can do the same from your hotel to the cruise port.

However, a water taxi -- if you don't find someone to share with -- will run somewhere around a hundred euro, maybe more from the airport.

If you stay in Piazzale Roma, you can take a bus from the airport direct to the Piazzale. Although someone above posted there are only two hotels, I think there are a good number of others IF you are willing and able to walk a slight distance. Then you can use the People Mover (one euro each) from the Piazzale Roma to the cruise port.

So.....if you can decide what area you are leaning towards, it would be easier to recommend something.

Very highly recommended here and in other places is Locando Orseolo. They have a dock and your water taxi can drop you off right there.

We LOVED Hotel Ai Due Principi, not far from St. Marks but off the beaten path. Worth checking into. It was newly converted palazzo the first time we stayed there about 4 years ago

I've stayed in 2 different locations in Venice. First trip traveling with a bigger group and willing to spend more, we stayed at Hotel Violino D'Oro a couple blocks from St Marks. We took a water taxi from the airport and to the ship (about 100€ each way).

Second trip was more on a budget and we stayed near Piazzle Roma at Hotel Arlecchino. We took the airport bus with only one small bridge to cross. And then the people mover to the ship. We walked to St Marks and took a bus back. Very convenient for public transportation.

Loved both hotels and would not hesitate staying at either one again. Hope this helps.

Dena

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am overwhelmed by those sites right now. Too many choices. We are coming in by plane and going out by ship if that helps.:)

Don't know how you can be 'overwhelmed' by a list of hotels. The Piazzale Roma area is the most convenient for airport transportation and for access to the pier (by the People Mover or taxi). This map shows the location of a dozen hotels around the Piazzale Roma. The Papadopoli is lovely from the outside (in the treed area to the right of PRoma) but might be out of your budget. Expand the map slightly to see more of the upper right corner where there are hotels on the canal, like the Grand Carlton or Antiche Figure:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/marittima.htm

Don't know how you can be 'overwhelmed' by a list of hotels. The Piazzale Roma area is the most convenient for airport transportation and for access to the pier (by the People Mover or taxi). This map shows the location of a dozen hotels around the Piazzale Roma. The Papadopoli is lovely from the outside (in the treed area to the right of PRoma) but might be out of your budget. Expand the map slightly to see more of the upper right corner where there are hotels on the canal, like the Grand Carlton or Antiche Figure:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/marittima.htm

Costco overwhelms me to but I could save your life in an emergency so go figure!:D

I actually was drawn to Antiche Figure yesterday and just came back to thank everyone for their replies. I booked a room on the Canal and I think that it's perfect for us!:)

I just got an e-mail from Expedia regarding my booking at the Antiche Figure forwarding me an answer to a request that I had added to my reservation. Since we are scheduled to arrive in Venice at 9:30 we had asked to leave our luggage at the hotel prior to the check-in time. The message asked Expedia to pass on the information that they have a luggage storrage room at the hotel. I had read that they were known to have great service and this is a little indication of that to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We spent a night at the Hotel Metropole in Venice in September.

Its on the main Riva Degli Shiavoni, only a short walk and 3 or 4 bridges to the Piazza San Marco.

It was a fabulous little hotel, great service and great location.

It has a little landing jetty on the side canal, so lovely.

Also it has a very pretty citrus garden, which is a lovely peaceful space to have an Aperol Spritz!

I would definately book to stay there again, I cant wait to start planning my next trip!

It does allow 1 night bookings, but may be a little more than you are willing to pay

DSC00240.jpg.128539826bffe51192d430d2ce5fe4e2.jpg

DSC00229.jpg.82c2530a7b2551164c58b2dfce71beff.jpg

DSC00200.jpg.0797c451ac9bae4bcf6a7a2cd608cc0b.jpg

We spent a night at the Hotel Metropole in Venice in September.

Its on the main Riva Degli Shiavoni, only a short walk and 3 or 4 bridges to the Piazza San Marco.

It was a fabulous little hotel, great service and great location.

It has a little landing jetty on the side canal, so lovely.

Also it has a very pretty citrus garden, which is a lovely peaceful space to have an Aperol Spritz!

I would definately book to stay there again, I cant wait to start planning my next trip!

It does allow 1 night bookings, but may be a little more than you are willing to pay

Thanks that looks really nice.

Archived