HAL's BEER CONFISCATION

blignop

. So, the message is that if you want a HAL cruise do not take on ONE beer or you may well be subject to justified confiscation, and criticism by the majority of responders on this site. Interesting.

Here's the problem. HAL is not out to get YOU or make your cruise miserable by taking your single can of beer, that your wife attempted to bring onboard, even though you know it's not allowed.

HAL has a liquor license; a license that varies by port and country, that needs to be followed, or they risk losing it. HAL also has a responsibility as a corporation, and to its guests, to ensure that alcohol served onboard is legal and the bottle contents are known. In the event of an alcohol related injury or death, the first question asked is what did the guest drink, and where did they get it.

In 2005, the honeymooner who went overboard in the Mediterranean from RCI's Brilliance of the Seas had reportedly smuggled Absinthe (which ranges from 90-150 proof) onboard and shared it with friends during heavy partying the night he died.

HAL (like RCI) has a duty, and a right, to know what their guests are consuming onboard, and they have the right to regulate it as they see fit. The ship is THEIR property, and they would be remiss (and the insurance companies furious) if they didn't watch and control alcohol consumption onboard.

Edited by Boatdrill

Here's the problem. HAL is not out to get YOU or make your cruise miserable by taking your single can of beer, that your wife attempted to bring onboard, even though you know it's not allowed.

HAL has a liquor license; a license that varies by port and country, that needs to be followed, or they risk losing it. HAL also has a responsibility as a corporation, and to its guests, to ensure that alcohol served onboard is legal and the bottle contents are known. In the event of an alcohol related injury or death, the first question asked is what did the guest drink, and where did they get it.

In 2005, the honeymooner who went overboard in the Mediterranean from RCI's Brilliance of the Seas had reportedly smuggled Absinthe (which ranges from 90-150 proof) onboard and shared it with friends during heavy partying the night he died.

HAL (like RCI) has a duty, and a right, to know what their guests are consuming onboard, and they have the right to regulate it as they see fit. The ship is THEIR property, and they would be remiss (and the insurance companies furious) if they didn't watch and control alcohol consumption onboard.

The truth is that it is all about revenue. Not the stuff you posted. I agree that it is their right to limit the liquor, beer and wine brought onboard for revenue reasons. It was petty though for them to take one beer. Poor customer service. If it had been a six pack that would be another story.

Edited by Charles4515

The truth is that it is all about revenue. Not the stuff you posted. I agree that it is their right to limit the liquor, beer and wine brought onboard for revenue reasons. It was petty though for them to take one beer. Poor customer service. If it had been a six pack that would be another story.

The bottom line is it doesn't matter what the reasoning is - it HAL's policy - period. Neither you nor me nor anyone else gets to decides what HAL's policies are. You can write a letter to the company, boycott it, etc. But expect to have prohibited items confiscated if you attempt to take them onboard. It's NOT poor customer service - it's da rules.

Looks like you and I are in the minority here. I have not read all the responses - bit I am not a HAL cheerleader either. I understand how you feel.

I am not happy about HAL's new policy and do not welcome them enforcing it either. Maybe after a time they will become more relaxed about doing so. It is new after all. Thanks for posting your experience.

We don't drink much and will drink less as a result. We don't cruise HAL that much either, only 2 star ... have cruised HAL though since 1995. There are lots of other cruise options, Princess, Celebrity, Cunard and NCL.

I had a gift bottle of Rum I purchased for our pet sitter confiscated on NCL in 2004 or 2005..They have never permitted beer, alcohol or wine to be brought on board..And as others have pointed out HAL's policy is not new..

See richwmn post No. 64 & read the "Know before you go booklets" from 2004 & 2007 ..They read exactly the same as the present "Know before you go" booklet..

Quote: Pg. 11 Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the ships stores or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage" Unquote IMO the old booklets are the proof which the OP wants! We've been on 15 HAL cruises (close to 400 days) since 1998 & every booklet has read exactly the same!

HAL (like RCI) has a duty, and a right, to know what their guests are consuming onboard, and they have the right to regulate it as they see fit. The ship is THEIR property, and they would be remiss (and the insurance companies furious) if they didn't watch and control alcohol consumption onboard. .

Exactly! You've hit the nail on the head..I bolded your last two paragraphs as I remember the case vividly..It's probably still in the court system & insurance companies don't take kindly to lawsuits.. They would rather cancel HAL's insurance than risk having to go into court to settle a claim for "involuntary manslaughter"..

Had to fly up for family funeral in NYC Saturday.. Security went through my carry-on bag & removed my hair spray, hair mousse & a tube of medicine for DH's nose for some sort of testing.. I had totally forgotten that these also are liquids..:eek::eek: When I mentioned that we had forgotten to check them & were going to a family funeral they kindly gave them back to me, but could have instead confiscated them..On the return flight, I checked the items..Also knew enough not to carry a bottle of water through security which I normally do when we travel..

One poster asked if we are all stock holders & he is probably correct..Many of us are in fact Carnival Corp. stockholders & don't want HAL put in a position of having to defend a court case because someone was permitted to bring a restricted article on board..This is my opinion & I'm sticking to it!

:)Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

One can of beer for each of 1900 passengers per port would equal a lot of lost revenue. Look at it fleet wide and it is even more of a loss. If they allow one passenger to ignore the rule they have to allow everyone to do so.

Some people dismiss this argument with "you must be a stockholder" as if somehow that's a dirty little secret. Well, no secret, I am a stockholder and I like to see the bottom line protected.

Edited by sapper1

I don't know the source for your "truth", but I believe boatdrill is far more accurate than you think.

I have managed many ships for several different cruise lines. Occasionally in the past we experimented with confiscating alcohol one crusie and then allowing it onboard the next cruise.

We were quite surprised to learn that onboard revenues were rarely affected by these actions. We made as much bar revenue while confiscating alcohol as we did when we allowed passengers to bring it onboard.

But there were other issues that were affected by our actions.

When we confiscated alcohol, we had far fewer complaints from passengers that their neighbors were partying in their cabins and keeping everyone awake.

We also had far fewer accidents where drunk passengers were falling down and breaking bones.

We had fewer fights where drunks were punching each other over really silly things.

We had fewer cabins trashed by drunk partiers.

We had fewer drunk people falling overboard.

And most importantly, we had far fewer lawsuits from people who brought their own alcohol onboard, got drunk in their cabins, got into some sort of trouble, and then sued the cruise line for millions for getting them drunk.

Most of these were frivolous lawsuits that were thrown out of court. But the cruise lines still had to pay big legal fees to defend themselves until the charges were thrown out. At one point, the cruise line I worked for had over $500 Million in frivolous lawsuits to defend.

The US Courts ruled that they would be more willing to dismiss the bulk of these charges if the cruise lines could demonstrate that we had a relatively tight control of alcohol consumption on our vessels.

By limiting and controlling what is brought onboard, establishing Responsible Service of Alcohol Training for all servers, making regulations for refusing to serve drunks, and keeping prices comparable to those on shore, the cruise lines convinced the courts that we are making a serious effort to control drunkenness on our ships. The courts in turn have been very cooperative in refusing to entertain frivolous lawsuits from those who still manage to get themselves drunk on ships.

Unfortunately when you deal with the masses on a mass market ship, the bad behaviour of a few has unfortunate consequences for all of us.

The directive to confiscate alcohol did not come from our Revenue Department, but from our Legal Department.

Edited by Mary Ellen

Originally Posted by BruceMuzz View Post

I have managed many ships for several different cruise lines. Occasionally in the past we experimented with confiscating alcohol one crusie and then allowing it onboard the next cruise.

We were quite surprised to learn that onboard revenues were rarely affected by these actions. We made as much bar revenue while confiscating alcohol as we did when we allowed passengers to bring it onboard.

But there were other issues that were affected by our actions.

When we confiscated alcohol, we had far fewer complaints from passengers that their neighbors were partying in their cabins and keeping everyone awake.

We also had far fewer accidents where drunk passengers were falling down and breaking bones.

We had fewer fights where drunks were punching each other over really silly things.

We had fewer cabins trashed by drunk partiers.

We had fewer drunk people falling overboard.

And most importantly, we had far fewer lawsuits from people who brought their own alcohol onboard, got drunk in their cabins, got into some sort of trouble, and then sued the cruise line for millions for getting them drunk.

Most of these were frivolous lawsuits that were thrown out of court. But the cruise lines still had to pay big legal fees to defend themselves until the charges were thrown out. At one point, the cruise line I worked for had over $500 Million in frivolous lawsuits to defend.

The US Courts ruled that they would be more willing to dismiss the bulk of these charges if the cruise lines could demonstrate that we had a relatively tight control of alcohol consumption on our vessels.

By limiting and controlling what is brought onboard, establishing Responsible Service of Alcohol Training for all servers, making regulations for refusing to serve drunks, and keeping prices comparable to those on shore, the cruise lines convinced the courts that we are making a serious effort to control drunkenness on our ships. The courts in turn have been very cooperative in refusing to entertain frivolous lawsuits from those who still manage to get themselves drunk on ships.

Unfortunately when you deal with the masses on a mass market ship, the bad behaviour of a few has unfortunate consequences for all of us.

The directive to confiscate alcohol did not come from our Revenue Department, but from our Legal Department.

Wow, what cruise lines?

I have sailed many times and have never seen or heard of any of these things happening on any ship we sailed.

I have never heard or heard of a wild party that kept folks awake, I have never seen a fight, no one has ever gone overboard, and the only people who have broken bones were really old, fragile (sober) people who fell, and one sober nine-year old who was goofing of in the pool area. He was also sober.

We once did an NCL overnight cruise and their were lots of people drinking an partying it up in the club and some of them were drunk, but they were just funny, not obnoxious of obstreperous. That was our one and only NCL cruise.

We once had a first-time cruiser is our party who sat at the bar all night and got quietly drunk several times, but she hadn't brought any wine, beer, or liquor on board. She did end up with a huge bar bill with Princess.

I know he has worked for HAL, and I think NCL for a while.

It is my understanding he has worked in high positions with at least NCL, HAL and Princess among other cruise lines.

;) We've actually met. :)

And, No.......... I will not be identifying him in any way.

Edited by sail7seas

Originally Posted by BruceMuzz

<snip snip snip> ... The directive to confiscate alcohol did not come from our Revenue Department, but from our Legal Department.

IMO BruceMuzz is right on in his statement. Most people might not know what goes on "behind closed doors" in the Legal Dept of large corporations. Based on my experience, top management usually takes the advice on delicate matters from their legal experts. I feel Bruce has a valid point here.

Wow, what cruise lines?

I have sailed many times and have never seen or heard of any of these things happening on any ship we sailed.

I have never heard or heard of a wild party that kept folks awake, I have never seen a fight, no one has ever gone overboard, and the only people who have broken bones were really old, fragile (sober) people who fell, and one sober nine-year old who was goofing of in the pool area. He was also sober.

We once did an NCL overnight cruise and their were lots of people drinking an partying it up in the club and some of them were drunk, but they were just funny, not obnoxious of obstreperous. That was our one and only NCL cruise.

We once had a first-time cruiser is our party who sat at the bar all night and got quietly drunk several times, but she hadn't brought any wine, beer, or liquor on board. She did end up with a huge bar bill with Princess.

Don't you read the papers? There have been many drunk psgrs & overboard psgrs in the past few years..

Bruce Muzz has worked on Cruise ships for a long time & he tells it like it is..He's been a respected member of this board..Many CC members know him personally..

Try checking out these threads..You will see what he & many other HM's & Capt's have had to handle..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1242833

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1588596.html

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4965

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=503

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4738

Boatdrill in his above post mentions the instance in 2005, when the honeymooner went overboard in the Mediterranean from RCI's Brilliance of the Seas...To quote boatdrill " He had reportedly smuggled Absinthe (which ranges from 90-150 proof) onboard and shared it with friends during heavy partying the night he died."

That was in the papers for days..

Betty

hi

Remember the drunken fool that broke into a room and dropped the anchor causeing thousands of dollars in damage to the ship and inconvenienced thousands of passengers.

Mary

See my Post above..The story is the 2nd URL I listed in my post..The original thread is here:

The Psgr was on the Ryndam in 2010 when he got drunk & dropped the anchor..He got some jail time for it but only a couple of months..

Did some back tracking & found the news article:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/drunk/anchor-drop-lands-cruise-passenger-brig

Betty

Remember the drunken fool that broke into a room and dropped the anchor causeing thousands of dollars in damage to the ship and inconvenienced thousands of passengers.

Mary

From the linked article:

The deployment of the stern anchor on the MS Ryndam “could have caused significant damage' date='” though the 719-foot ship [b']was unharmed[/b], according to an affidavit sworn by FBI agent John Manning.

We are sailing from Sydney in November, was told it's ok to take wine on board?

When on a Princess cruise one guy bought a 6 pack, wouldn't let him on so he sat and drank the lot:o:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yes, it is ok to take wine on board in November. Just no beer or liquor.

• 1 month later...