Alaska or Fjord cruise ?

Cookiecookie

I have at last convinced my husband we can leave the kids at home next July/August and go and celebrate our 25th wedding Anniversary on our own. So my question is Alaska or a Fjord cruise, I love the idea of glaciers and beautiful views etc, so would appreciate some feed back on both please. Alaska will be considerably more expensive from the uk but I think it will have more of a wow factory. This will be our 3rd cruise. Hope I have posted this correctly ( it's my 1st time ).

I've done both, and you'll like them both, but we preferred Alaska, maybe because it was our first cruise. Though in Alaska we were a km maximum away from a glacier for example (the RC Radiance of the Seas stayed there for a while, lovely), which in Norway even going to the Arctic circle we weren't so close. And we'd love to go back to Alaska.

We live in Spain and it worked out the same price, as norwegian fjords are very expensive & Alaska cruises very cheap (comparing) so adding the plane it worked out more less the same.

Have done both and, in my opinion, the two are totally different. Alaska is more about the wildlife and Norway is about the scenery. Both are spectacular in their own way and we absolutely loved both :).

We are visiting Norway again next year on our Iceland cruise, so you can tell we enjoyed our first experience there ;). Alaska is one of our favourite cruises (the kids put it at no.1) because of all the wonderful wildlife we encountered: grizzly bears, so much salmon you couldn't see the water, seeing hump back whales in their natural environment, moose, seals etc. For us, it was definitely a unique chance to see wildlife up close. Of course, add the glaciers too :D.

Do take into consideration the travelling times when flying to Alaska, and check out all possibilities. It's probably one of the only times we've booked air through the cruiseline, and that was solely on price (I searched and couldn't get prices as reasonable as RCI when I figured the hotels, transfers etc. into the equation). If it's possible, stay for a few days after your cruise in the Vancouver area - Whistler, Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park etc. are definitely worth visiting - it's a fantastic city.

Norway is beautiful scenery, it's almost palpable compared to New Zealand's fjords (those I would describe as panoramic). The waterfalls and little mountain villages are so picturesque, and then there's the views - breathtaking!

I don't think you can go wrong with either, however do some research into the areas and go with whichever draws your heart more ;). Or do as we have and cruise them both (with our children as we can't leave them at home, yet!) :D.

I have at last convinced my husband we can leave the kids at home next July/August and go and celebrate our 25th wedding Anniversary on our own. So my question is Alaska or a Fjord cruise, I love the idea of glaciers and beautiful views etc, so would appreciate some feed back on both please. Alaska will be considerably more expensive from the uk but I think it will have more of a wow factory. This will be our 3rd cruise. Hope I have posted this correctly ( it's my 1st time ).

We have done both ,also. For us the Alaska cruise is more about wildlife and scenery. Fjords is all about scenery. Both were wonderful but, we chose Alaska first. If you are going in the Summer the wildlife in Alaska is the best.- Wales, Sea Lions, eagles and great scenery. Fjords were great but once and done. We would go back to Alaska again.

We have also done both and found them equally wonderful.

As others have said, the fjords are beautiful and everywhere you look there are breathtaking views.

Alaska is definitely about the wildlife you get a chance to see. If you do decide on Alaska and you have the time, definitely take a land/sea cruise. The land tour lets you see and experience so much more than just on a cruise. If possible, start with the land tour first and head south. I too would suggest spending a day or two at the end of your cruise in Vancouver.

I would do either of these cruises again in a heartbeat, if I had the chance.

Done Iceland and Norway twice this year because we loved it so much.

Alaska once but would not go back. thought the ports were tacky with their souvenir shops, the Norway and Iceland are all working ports and towns and are right outside the ship just waiting to be explored.

I've also done both, a few times and I agree.. they are totally different itineraries. IMHO, Alaska is a MUST DO cruise.. not for the actual ports, because they are a bit tacky and touristy, but the unique scenery, and the bountiful opportunities to see wild life, up close, in it's own natural habitat is amazing. I also think everyone needs to hear the sound of a glacier calving at least once in their lives. If you have the time and money, I highly recommend doing one of the cruise tours. Also, the excursions in Alaska are very expensive and not very long, but they are a must.

Norwegian Fjords and Iceland are amazing for scenery, sheer beauty and small, expensive, local villages as ports.

If this cruise is a once in a lifetime, or a a rare opportunity to get away, then I would vote Alaska.

Whichever you decide on, you won't be disappointed.

Our Norwegian Fjords cruise was amazing! I would love to do it again some day. The scenery is breath taking. Cruising into and out of the fjords was WOW!! Plus, on the Norwegian Fjords cruise you will see many other great European cites and ports. On ours we went to England, Ireland, Scotland and France. One of our top 3 cruises!!

\

I have only done the Norwegian Fjords. And, even though I want to sail Alaska I can not imagine more of a WOW factor then sailing through the fjords. It looks like the fjord is so close to you, it's amazing how high they are. Regardless of where you go both will be wonderful. And, make sure you have a balcony. So relaxing to just sit DH & I and not be interrupted by anyone or have any background noise while watching the scenery go by.

Archived