Cruise fares, question??

Nan-L

I posted this on the cruise question forum too, but thought I might get a better response on this forum.

I booked a cruise for my son and daughter in law for their honeymoon.

Went on line to check the cruise price and it dropped on the RC web page, but when I e-mailed the TA to inform them, they said because they have a ship board credit it is the same piece??

Is this a normal way to do the fare, as they got the SBC when booking?

I was under the impression that the SBC had nothing to do with the base price, I'm I wrong??

Actually you are wrong. A lot of fares come with enticements, like on board credit, or a drink package. If you want to take advantage of a newer fare promotion later, (where the price is lower, but they are no longer offering the same extras) then you lose the features of the old fare, in favor of the new one.

Example: if the OBC was $100 , but the new fare was $200 cheaper, it's worth changing to the new fare. If the price goes down LESS than the amount of OBC that you already have, then it's not worth sacrificing the OBC for that lower fare.

That being said, I do understand your feelings. The problem comes when the TA lets it appear that the OBC is a gift from themselves, and doesn't make it clear that it's really part of the price the cruise line has set. It's disappointing, but that is the way it is.

Sounds like your TA does not honor price drops...I've had OBC before & was still able to get price drops...sometimes the TA will reduce or take away the OBC if you get a large price drop which is understandable as their commission is reduced...

Thank you.

They got a very good deal on SBC last March for a cruise in January..

I had done the research and this was the best deal. They have way MORE than the drop, so we'll keep it as is..

Thank you for enlightening me!! I will keep this in mind before I e-mail the Ta with a price drop.

Sounds like your TA does not honor price drops...I've had OBC before & was still able to get price drops...sometimes the TA will reduce or take away the OBC if you get a large price drop which is understandable as their commission is reduced...

Just to be clear that will vary from TA to TA. Some have restrictions and / or change fees associated with their bookings but many don't. It pays to ask the questions before you book as once you book your reservation will be governed by their individual policies.

Where did the on board credit come from? Was it a promotion from Royal when you booked? If so, then your price should not be influenced by the OBC. Example...you book on board for $699/pp and get $100 OBC for your cabin. Three months later, the price drops to $659/pp. You have your price adjusted by $40/pp but your OBC does not change.

If you got OBC from the travel agent, then that might be coming from their commission, and if the price drops, then some will remove all or part of that OBC. This should have been disclosed to you when you booked.

If the OBC is from the line, your TA should reprice. However, as mentioned above, some TAs charge change fees, which again should have been disclosed when you booked.

Archived