Cortisone injection in knee by ship's doctors

hurwitz5

The injections are a means to try and replace/supplement defective natural synovial fluid, which acts as a lubricant/cushion fore the knee joint. It is artificially produced from eggs/chickens, so if you have this allergy, DONT do it.

The base constituent is hyalauronic acid. It is typically administered in a series of three injections, given a week apart, with a very long needle that is necessary to reach the affected area.

The medicine must be ordered in advance, and is usually about $ 400-500 per three injection treatment.

My personal experience was that the first needle was painless, resulting in temporary stiffness in the joint. The second injection was VERY painful, and I had to take the rest of that day off work....could not walk. The third injection was again, painless. I realized only a slight improvement which lasted about three weeks...then, back to square one. The injections were done by one of the foremest sports doctors in town :he was the doctor at that time for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Bottom line: works for some, not for others, and is not something your average doctor could do.

K

My personal experience was that the first needle was painless, resulting in temporary stiffness in the joint. The second injection was VERY painful, and I had to take the rest of that day off work....could not walk. The third injection was again, painless. I realized only a slight improvement which lasted about three weeks...then, back to square one. The injections were done by one of the foremest sports doctors in town :he was the doctor at that time for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Bottom line: works for some, not for others, and is not something your average doctor could do.

K

Leaf doctor , mmm

Did it work great for the first then fade away to nothing , just like Leafs every year :p

I've been having the knee injections for the same reason as mentioned by others -- to delay a knee replacement. The first time I had a major problem was halfway through a Summit cruise to Bermuda, when I couldn't even get to the dining room without a few stops on the way and even then I was in agony. There's no cartilage left to cushion my left knee, it seems, so it was bone on bone. Ouch. Orthopedic surgeon said these injections (series of three, orthovisc, in my case) work in about 40% of those who try it. For once, I've been lucky. I'm now having them for the 4th time and the third series lasted almost 10 months, which is amazing to me. I'm really delighted since I don't heal well from surgery. I have had 4 spine surgeries and am now getting injections and other medication for chronic pain. So anything I can do to defer major surgery is a significant advantage. As someone else noted, it doesn't always work.

I have been able to drive myself home after the injections (it's my left knee) but I usually limit activity for the rest of the day to allow the stuff to work. I haven't been using ice recently but I have done that before. And yes, it takes a few days to become effective. (Well, I do the same -- rest and ice on the injection site -- for the spine injections, which are mostly cortisone, I think.) Of course, anyone might have a different reaction and need more rest and recovery time. We really are all different!

S

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if they even have the medication on board. If you go in and act like you really need it, there is a possibility they would put you off into a local hospital.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I've been having the knee injections for the same reason as mentioned by others -- to delay a knee replacement. The first time I had a major problem was halfway through a Summit cruise to Bermuda, when I couldn't even get to the dining room without a few stops on the way and even then I was in agony. There's no cartilage left to cushion my left knee, it seems, so it was bone on bone. Ouch. Orthopedic surgeon said these injections (series of three, orthovisc, in my case) work in about 40% of those who try it. For once, I've been lucky. I'm now having them for the 4th time and the third series lasted almost 10 months, which is amazing to me. I'm really delighted since I don't heal well from surgery. I have had 4 spine surgeries and am now getting injections and other medication for chronic pain. So anything I can do to defer major surgery is a significant advantage. As someone else noted, it doesn't always work.

I have been able to drive myself home after the injections (it's my left knee) but I usually limit activity for the rest of the day to allow the stuff to work. I haven't been using ice recently but I have done that before. And yes, it takes a few days to become effective. (Well, I do the same -- rest and ice on the injection site -- for the spine injections, which are mostly cortisone, I think.) Of course, anyone might have a different reaction and need more rest and recovery time. We really are all different!

S

I had the orthovisc shots for eight years, every six months. First time it was a series of 5 shots in five weeks. The last time was 3 shots in 3 weeks. Each time they became less effective. Two years ago, I had knee replacement. Fantastic results and wish I had done it 5 years earlier. By the time I did it the bone in the femur and the tibia were so worn down that the orthopedic surgeon had a very difficult time cutting them in the right plane. It worked out but took the skill of an experience surgeon.

Had my durolane shot into a knee today, I did not even cry :-)

Then the doctor said osteoarthritis is so bad in one hip it needs replacement :-0

I need ice cream !

Good thing I have the drink package for our November TA

The doctor said , most drug companies are recommending the shot be done at one time instead of spreading out the shots over 3 weeks

You might want to try a knee support. I had terrible knee pain in one knee and wearing the support was so helpful I purchased one for my other knee when it began to get the same pain. After wearing them for a few weeks - no more pain but I still wear them when I know I'll be doing a lot of walking.

I have been getting injections in my knees for 6 or 7 years now. I started getting them in a series of 3 shots over 3 weeks and now I get Durolane which only requires one shot. When I am getting close to needing a shot, I wear my knee brace and it allows me to delay the shot sometimes for 1-2 months.

I have been getting knee injections for a bunch of years now (osteoarthritis).

I had been getting SYNVISC but the last 2 times I had very bad reactions.

August 29th I went back to my orthopedic surgeon and he switched my injection to euflexxa which was 3 shots over 3 weeks. The 3rd shot was Sept 12th. I did not have any bad reaction but it also hasn't taken affect yet. The doctor said it would take 4 to 6 weeks from the last injection. The problem is we are leaving Oct 2nd for our trip to San Diego and then cruise to Hawaii on the 7th which means it may not be helping me when I am walking around San Diego all day long for a few days. :(

I was looking at knee braces and there are quite a few different styles to pick from. I am wondering which brand and type you find works well.

I am marginally conceerned about this matter since I have O/A on my right knee; and, about 3 years ago I consulted with my ortho surgeon about that stuff that is supposed to supplant or mimic synovial fluid; whereupon he suggested that he would order same and inject it but, in his opinion, he felt it would not be efficacious for more than about six monts.

At the same time, we discussed a knee replacement; and, it was his opinion that for medicare to pay for same, under obamacare, it would have to be done before January 1, 2014, due to my being over the age of 70.

As a result, I have been doing significant pool exercises (about 2 1/2 to 3 hours daily); and, with an occasional flare up treated with Aleve I am doing reasonably well.

Since, I am relatively pain free, and wish to avoid surgery, if possible, I wonder if most of you folks who have used this fluid did so because you were in Canada and were unable to acquire a knee replacement, under your health plan, or whether this was the best option, irrespectrive as to your coverage.

Since, I am relatively pain free, and wish to avoid surgery, if possible, I wonder if most of you folks who have used this fluid did so because you were in Canada and were unable to acquire a knee replacement, under your health plan, or whether this was the best option, irrespectrive as to your coverage.

In Ontario, replacements are covered into your 80's, durolane is not ( cost is $452)

I did durolane because I can not afford to take 2 months of work, since I work for myself

In Ontario, replacements are covered into your 80's, durolane is not ( cost is $452)

I did durolane because I can not afford to take 2 months of work, since I work for myself

Is there a waitlist for the replacements? If our plan mimics yours, then I am in trouble since I am 83.

Is there a waitlist for the replacements? If our plan mimics yours, then I am in trouble since I am 83.

My are you in trouble if you are 83 ?

I have an aunt who is over 85 going in shoulder and hip to be done, and it will not cost her anything

Wait times list in Ontario

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/waittimes/

In Ontario , you do not have be in the top 1% to get the best care, and having a heart attach , the hospital bill will not put you in the poor house

I am marginally conceerned about this matter since I have O/A on my right knee; and, about 3 years ago I consulted with my ortho surgeon about that stuff that is supposed to supplant or mimic synovial fluid; whereupon he suggested that he would order same and inject it but, in his opinion, he felt it would not be efficacious for more than about six monts.

At the same time, we discussed a knee replacement; and, it was his opinion that for medicare to pay for same, under obamacare, it would have to be done before January 1, 2014, due to my being over the age of 70.

As a result, I have been doing significant pool exercises (about 2 1/2 to 3 hours daily); and, with an occasional flare up treated with Aleve I am doing reasonably well.

I am very happy that you are "relatively pain free," and I hope this continues! (If things change, though, I would not rely on one doctor's "opinion" about what Medicare will or won't cover after the Affordable Care Act kicks in, I would check with Medicare.)

I am in the U.S. The reason for having the joint fluid replacement injections is to treat the pain of O/A. If the injections work (they don't for everyone), then it's better than having surgery --- and you may not be in sufficient pain yet for surgery anyway. I'm definitely not at the knee replacement stage yet, but I definitely need pain relief from the O/A in my knees. So for me, it's either NSAIDs (which only work up to a point, and they are very bad for your stomach in any event), or the injections.

But the injections are only treating the symptoms of O/A, they do not halt the progression of the disease. At some point, if the arthritis gets bad enough, a knee replacement may become necessary.

Turtles, thank you for your reply. By the way, I have checked with more than one dr., vis-a-vis my knee problem, and also my wife's problems; and, they all concur with my earier assertion. Simply stated, if you are over 70 in the U.S., my sources all agree that you are in trouble after January 1, 2014, if you have serious health problems. In short, they advise that nominal care will be available with wait lists, but that significant medical care will not be available, unless you pay for same. At the same time, they advise that Hospice will still be available, but on a limited basis based upon the wait lists.

Turtles, thank you for your reply. By the way, I have checked with more than one dr., vis-a-vis my knee problem, and also my wife's problems; and, they all concur with my earier assertion. Simply stated, if you are over 70 in the U.S., my sources all agree that you are in trouble after January 1, 2014, if you have serious health problems. In short, they advise that nominal care will be available with wait lists, but that significant medical care will not be available, unless you pay for same. At the same time, they advise that Hospice will still be available, but on a limited basis based upon the wait lists.

I too have been having orthovisc injections for 6 years, hoping to postpone knee replacement until they've perfected the minimally-invasive computer-navigated procedures.

But the assertion that Medicare will not pay for TKR for someone over 70 after January 1, 2014, is simply false! Medicare is essentially unaffected by Obamacare.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-17/obamacare-blamed-by-seniors-for-higher-costs-medicare-changes.html

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/features/insuring-your-health/2012/medicare-health-law-limiting-care-michelle-andrews-110612.aspx

By the way Karl, what do you think of the power of the IPAB to reduce payments to medical care providers and medical service suppliers? It is quite simple, if this board does not wish to continue treatment of an elderly person with cancer, they simply reduce the payments to their doctors and chemo suppliers, wherein the patient will still be entitled to treatment, but at their expense.

Lastly, I believe any further dialogue between us would not be efficacious.

I live in Canada and if I wanted a knee replacement it is covered under our health plan. I take the durolane shots to put off the surgery. I get them in both knees and they usually last for about a year. I am in no hurry to have surgery so as long as the shots will work, I'll continue.

I should also add that durolane is not covered by the Ontario Health Plan and it costs $450.00/shot. I am fortunate that my employee medical plan covers it. Unfortunately my DH works for the federal government and his medical plan does not cover it so we stretch his shots out as long as possible.

I live in Canada and if I wanted a knee replacement it is covered under our health plan. I take the durolane shots to put off the surgery. I get them in both knees and they usually last for about a year. I am in no hurry to have surgery so as long as the shots will work, I'll continue.

Good for you. I have achieved a considerable weight loss the past couple of years; and, together with a very vigorous exercise program I have been able to avoid surgery. My major concern is the possibility of a wait list if I ever need the surgery ( assuming it will even be approved under our new health plan). Some of our older Canadian snow birds here in SWFl (when they visit) indicate that the normal wait list for this procedure for older folks is between 1 to 1 1/2 years.

I should also add that durolane is not covered by the Ontario Health Plan and it costs $450.00/shot. I am fortunate that my employee medical plan covers it. Unfortunately my DH works for the federal government and his medical plan does not cover it so we stretch his shots out as long as possible.

One of the drugs I needed a few years back was "off label" and not covered but could claim on income tax) I have had 46 eye injections for ARMD (wet) and I think they run about $1800 a month per injection and it is all covered under our health care. DH was in the hospital for 3 weeks recovering from difficult cancer surgery and upon discharge all he owed was for his TV. It is difficult for countries like us, with universal health care (cradle to grave) to understand what is happening in the US - at least for us and we watch American news all the time lol.

My doctor was over charging me , I had to pay $452 :eek: :p

I have Tricare Insurance and it is good at the Cleveland Clinic. I was recommended a surgeon and called for an appointment in Sept. His first availability was Jan. In Jan, I went on his surgery list for April. I asked to fill-in for any cancellation and had the surgery in Feb.

So the wait list for my surgeon is 8 months.

It will not change after Jan 1, 2014 at Cleveland Clinic.

Good for you. I have achieved a considerable weight loss the past couple of years; and, together with a very vigorous exercise program I have been able to avoid surgery. My major concern is the possibility of a wait list if I ever need the surgery ( assuming it will even be approved under our new health plan). Some of our older Canadian snow birds here in SWFl (when they visit) indicate that the normal wait list for this procedure for older folks is between 1 to 1 1/2 years.

I live in Ontario and my inlaws only waited 6 months to get their knees replaced. There may be different wait times in different provinces, but I do not know that for sure.

Archived