$150 OBC or 8,000 miles???

Beachbum1944

Most often, airline miles are worth a penny apiece, so 8,000 = $80 value. I'd take the $150 OBC

but not when you need to actually book airfare.

for instance, a flight home for xmas would sometimes cost me $600.... and that's just iah to phl - that's not even very far.

$600 / 25,000 miles = 0.024 or 2.4 cents per miles...

8000 miles x 0.024 = $192

the value of airline miles, also, is most noted and applicable when you don't expect to need them. i've seen same day, same week bookings at $2000 plus for economy anymore (only for last minute, full flights). miles have a lot of value if you can use them effectively.

We are trying to decide which is better, $150 OBC from online cruise site or 8,000 miles from an airline for booking with them. We will be on Carnival Breeze.

So, which is it????

Thanks,

make sure you check carnival's rates too, though. no online ta should likely be able to offer $150 obc over what carnival is offering...

all things equal i'd likely book with carnival directly.

carnival makes it so TAs, airline or not, can't beat their prices. if a TA said they could give me that i would be suspicious. airline miles are a little different, but they still won't beat the price.

if it's legit sure go for it if you want the obc... just make sure you dot all those i's first. because they're not supposed to :o

airline miles are kinda different and i've noticed they (united, i check anyway) tend to offer the same rates, but a 'non-monetary' reimbursement in terms of miles.

anyhow good luck and best regards ;)

If the miles are with Delta Air Lines (Skymiles) the value is $0.35 a mile.

Delta Skymiles website minimum purchase is 2000 miles for $70.00.

Also if buying the cruise thru Delta Skymiles bonus of 3000 miles for

a standard cabin - Suites Balconies triple miles = 9000.

Other airlines YMMV do some serious searching for the best deal.

So I have 11000 delta skymiles. Can I use that to reduce my air or do I have to have the full amount for the free air?

I am a big fan of airline miles. I use them pretty regularly. I typically think of 25,000 miles as worth about $400. That's about the average flight price. As the poster mentioned above, you can use them more efficiently.

Delta has a mileage calendar, and it is sometimes difficult to find 25,000 mile flights now days unless you are flexible. 25K is the lowest it can possibly cost in miles. During peak times a domestic flight can run as much as 50k miles.

If you go by my basic thought process, they are about equal (as long as your flight plans are flexible.) I would probably choose the onboard credit because it would be a direct savings. Miles are something that I would use in the future, but I'd rather have the immediate reward.

Hope that helps.

We are trying to decide which is better, $150 OBC from online cruise site or 8,000 miles from an airline for booking with them. We will be on Carnival Breeze.

So, which is it????

Thanks,

Carnival stopped travel agents from offering such incentives. I'd be cautious with that offer.

So I have 11000 delta skymiles. Can I use that to reduce my air or do I have to have the full amount for the free air?

I doubt that you can use that small amount.

However, if you have the Delta AmEx card, 10,000 miles gives you $100 off airfare. I accumulate more than 20,000 miles and use it when I take my annual family visit to Maine (from Detroit) and get $200 off the airfare which for a direct flight to Portland, ME is just under $500.

OK, so I'm flying Delta from San Francisco to London in January. About 12,000 miles round trip.

I'm in business class, so a 50% bonus for miles credit - 18,000 miles.

At $0.35/mile value, I compute that this is $6,300 value, but my ticket is only $5,890, so I'm making money for flying? :)

Just kidding, of course. Your $0.35 should be $0.035, and I think that even that is a very high estimate of value.

gary

Archived