Oosterdam and general HAL questions

pmd98052

We've sailed on the Oosterdam once before about 3 years ago but I have a few questions I wanted to check on since we're about to leave on a cruise.

1. Aft pool - Is this adults only?

2. Room service - Last time while we loved the "order any MDR item" for room service (Especially with kids since formal nights are tricky there) we found the order was always delivered wrong. In the week we did this three nights and each time an appetizer or entrée was forgotten. It would be brought later but normally took another hour. I saw a comment from another posted in July or August this year that it still seemed to be an issue on the Oosterdam? Any tips for preventing this happening? We always called in the first 30-60 mins of the MDR opening.

3. Club HAL - Any idea what they do if there are only 2 kids (ours) on the cruise? Will it still be open? We're on a 41 night cruise so I don't expect any other kids! They are also 5 and 8 so would be separated normally in different age groups. That would seem to be weird if they are the only two. Has anyone else experienced having the only kids on a cruise?

4. Coffee cards - I've enjoyed these on Princess before but if I understand right HAL doesn't offer them?

5. Does HAL still provide the port bags? Super useful we found!

6. Still unlimited towels to help yourself to around the pool - with kids we loved this as well versus Princess. Same for beach towels still when leaving in port?

7. New York Times news letter left by the room doors each morning? Another HAL thing I loved!

Many thanks!

You can still use as many pool towels as you wish.

NYTimes is still available everyday but not usually delivered to cabin. They are available in Lido, Exploration Cafe, maybe MDR, Front Office......

I don't know what you can do if your room service orders get messed up. Maybe speak with the Supervisor and request he give your orders special attention?

HAL still provides tote bags left in cabin the night before first port. They have a new style since you last cruised but it is about the same style. Not as nice a material IMO but the bag is still handy. Seeing there are four of you traveling, you could ask your steward for more than one.

Some pools have a sign at Aft Pool saying adults only but some do not. I cannot specifically remember Oosterdam, however, for a 41 day cruise and the likelihood your children could be the only or the few aboard, you should not have a problem.... ;) assuming they are compliant with the 'pool rules' you set and with HAL's no diving etc

I'm sorry but cannot help re: Club HAL or coffee card.

What a wonderful time your family will have. A fabulous opportunity.

ENJOY!!!

Thanks so much your response is incredibly helpful! It certainly is an amazing opportunity. Work is also my hobby which often has the detrimental effect of not having as much time with the kids as I'd ideally like (my own fault) - so looking forward to 3 months off work to spend real time with them and my wife! Not something that I ever thought I'd have an opportunity to do!

I'm a news junkie too so great to hear the New York times letter is still available - easy to pick one up each morning! In the days of cut backs on all the lines I was afraid some of the things we loved about HAL might have gone. We've been on Princess and NCL more recently so looking forward to trying HAL again.

Old bag:

6170598759_bfa090b923.jpg

New bag (which is made from a cheaper material):

skiz.jpg

FWIW, I was on a HAL cruise this summer and a couple actually made a pair of jackets out of the HAL bags. The jackets were kind of a quilt/patchwork design and contained several of the bags on each jacket. That's "not my bag" :p; but it was kind of different.

Yes, you can.

There is WiFi in all cabins though the connections are spotty in some locations. Leave the door slightly ajar..... that sometimes helps. :)

Do you know if it is the entire NY Times electronic edition, or is it just the condensed version that is available in paper form around the ship? Thanks:)

Old bag:

6170598759_bfa090b923.jpg

New bag (which is made from a cheaper material):

skiz.jpg

FWIW, I was on a HAL cruise this summer and a couple actually made a pair of jackets out of the HAL bags. The jackets were kind of a quilt/patchwork design and contained several of the bags on each jacket. That's "not my bag" :p; but it was kind of different.

A number of years ago there was a couple on one of our cruises who made clothing from their numerous bags -- she had a long dress for herself and he had a sports jacket.

Archived