Question re Hal's Private Cabanas on Half Moon Cay

CuriousC

Can anyone advise what are the best cabanas to reserve? I understand there are 15 of them on Half Moon Cay and are identified by colour. I'm assuming the cabanas are all identical and the main choice would be location. We don't have any mobility issues and prefer to avoid the crowds/noise/activities but would still like to be a convenient distance to a washroom, bar, etc.

Also, if one reserves a cabana and then passengers can't get into Half Moon Cay due to weather, does HAL credit your account back for the cost?

Yes, you will get a refund if the ship can't get to HMC.

If you go over to the Private Islands board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

You will see several large threads on HMC, with cabana pics, maps, videos, and everything else you would want to know. Yes, further down the beach is quieter, but last restroom is at #9, and the last bar is at #6. Bar service can be good, if you make an early connection with a waiter. Or you can get the Butler upgrade, and everything will be taken care of.

We had the cabana near the restroom. I believe it was the pink one. Out of the way, quiet, but convenient to the bar-b-que and of course to the facilities.

We enjoyed it on our first HAL cruise, but I don't think we'd rent one again. As they say, "we've been there, done that."

Have a marvelous time on your cruise. HA is wonderful.

If for some reason the ship can't make HMC -- you will get shipboard credit for the cancelled Cabana.

In the event that you do not use up all your shipboard credit, on the morning of disembarkation you will get back any monies owe you either in cash or a check.

I don't think this is 100% accurate. Onboard credit received as a result of a Holland America promotion (i.e. HAL booking special, NYSE:CCL shareholders credit, on the ship future cruse booking, etc.) is not refundable. Other on board credits such as any that your travel agent buys for you is refundable.

I don't think this is 100% accurate. Onboard credit received as a result of a Holland America promotion (i.e. HAL booking special, NYSE:CCL shareholders credit, on the ship future cruse booking, etc.) is not refundable. Other on board credits such as any that your travel agent buys for you is refundable.

I think KK was referring to the credit for missing the cabana at HMC.

Some friends of our reserved the yellow cabana. It was PERFECT a bit farther down the beach which guarantees less of a crowd. There were golf cart "shuttles" if the walk was too far, but we didn't think it was that bad.

What if they repaint them and change colors ? Do u know if they keep same color year after year ?

Thanks everyone for your comments and map and CruiserB for directing me to the proper thread that had a wealth of information on Half Moon Cay and the cabanas. Exactly what I was looking for. The price seems a little steep for a couple but it might be fun to indulge at least once.

Can you explain what they are, and why they are worth $299 for a day? How many people at a time, etc.? I have seen a few photos, and I can imagine they would be very good for a family with children - but can you invite others to join you?

If you look at the link in Post #2, you will see volumes of info...

Can you explain what they are, and why they are worth $299 for a day? How many people at a time, etc.? I have seen a few photos, and I can imagine they would be very good for a family with children - but can you invite others to join you?

Think of a play house you might have had as a kid but it's not that nice. Even though the 2 story ones are a bit of an eyesore they are way more worth the money. I wouldn't pay $99 for one of those cabanas.

Yep 3 years (or 4) they were $299... Then went up to $399 while Carnivals price at HMC never changed. Was $399 when we booked our villa, last night saw they are again $299... Our last cruise ALOT were empty.

When they first built them they were $49. I think there were only 4 cabanas that first year; we had the pink. I wouldn't even consider $299 or $399. How much are the villas?

Think of a play house you might have had as a kid but it's not that nice. Even though the 2 story ones are a bit of an eyesore they are way more worth the money. I wouldn't pay $99 for one of those cabanas.

Lorene, how's your knee? Hope it's improving.:) On HMC, which ones are the villas? I remember seeing some photos of them. How many people do they hold? In December (2014), would it be a good thing to have one? I did read what I could on the threads mentioned, but soooo many pages! Which would be the best villa to book? Help!:D

Lorene, how's your knee? Hope it's improving.:) On HMC, which ones are the villas? I remember seeing some photos of them. How many people do they hold? In December (2014), would it be a good thing to have one? I did read what I could on the threads mentioned, but soooo many pages! Which would be the best villa to book? Help!:D

The knee is good and bad. I'm up to 25 minutes on the eliptical in conjunction with my other exercise. It is flat though. I'm pretty ok with my progress.

When it comes to those villas I know very little. I was so excited that they had a toilet since I drink tons of water. I walked thru one the last time I was there and I liked it but can't tell you more then that. I bet someone will have better info.

When they first built them they were $49. I think there were only 4 cabanas that first year; we had the pink. I wouldn't even consider $299 or $399. How much are the villas?

$550 private hot tub, bathroom and shower. Good because HMC always seems very cold to us because of where we live. Sweatshirt cold. Lol.

I can let u know after now. Villa E is the farthest one down the beach and what we have. There is a video of it on you tube.

Archived