What to drink at the MDR

voyager89

Thanks! That's what I figured, but I figured it can't hurt to double check.

We just pre-purchased two soda packages, one for my wife (a Diet Coke addict) and we figured the rest of us could share the other one. Our boys don't drink a lot of soda, so we thought it would be a waste to buy them each a package.

You are not allowed to share a package - if you could no one would buy one!

If we bought the soda packages, do we need to bring the mugs with us to the MDR or do they just bring you glasses of soda to the table? I thought I saw that there's a sticker of some type on the SeaPass, so I assume you can show that to your waiter instead of handing them your mug?

The sticker/ID on the pass tells them you have the soda package, so you are just fine with that. You can order the soda and it will be delivered to you.

If I get a soda, folks onboard are going to stop me from letting my son have some of it? :confused:

Don't want to get into a shouting/flaming match - however, rules are rules! You are not supposed to share soda/drink packages - that's pretty simple.

If you choose to do so, depending on the location, who is watching, etc. you could be refused service. That's one reason why there is a time limit set for filling the mug.

Anyone not purchasing a soda package is expected to pay for their soda, or drink one of the free options - e.g. lemonade, water, milk, iced tea, etc.

When my husband gets seasick i let him sip ginger ale, but it is on my seapass card. As long as it is in our cabin (where he is usually hiding because he is sick anyway) it is not a problem at all. Also if we are out and about, if he takes a sip from my cup now and then, its never been called out, but i am sure it would be if i just handed him my cup and ordered another.

I do get the soda package and just have a coke with dinner in the MDR. then at dessert I get milk and my husband gets regular coffee. He always drinks water with dinner. The assistant waiter will handle the non-alcoholic drinks, and pretty much how you order on the first night, he/she will bring out every night. So if you want a change, tell him/her immediately when you get to dinner.

On RCI, relax. The MDR is more formal than the buffet, but it is not over the top. Sure you have to dress a little better, but think of it like a night out on the town, for 7 days :-) Order what you want to drink, what you want to eat, chat with your tablemates and unwind. What i love about cruising is there are few requests that are impossible.

I order chocolate milk with dinner, they make it fresh.
The cows are down on Deck 1 and they grow the cocoa beans on the roof:p

Usually at dinner they have a cold soup, some of which make quite good smoothies. On several cruises I have asked the first night if I could have the cold soup in a glass, and had the cold soup of the night waiting at my place in a glass every night thereafter. Other times the waiter says they are not allowed to do that (which may be the house rules, I don't know). I will say that the cold soup in a glass every night waiter got additional tip.

BTW I also get tap water, and let the waiter know that I drink a LOT of water. With that notice, my glass is rarely empty, and another extra tip (I don't feel obligated to tip more than suggested, but I'm happy to tip for excellent service). NOTE that generally the first person who asks the first night if you want water is the bar server who is selling bottled water - being asked "sparkling or still" is a clue. Feel free to buy bottled if you wish, but no need to feel embarrassed asking for tap water.

Thom

Do they have lemonade in the Windjammer too or just the MDR? We'll be on Enchantment.

Just a note that in the WJ on all ships, they also have zero-calorie flavored water that I think is excellent. It comes in Tropical Mango, Lemon-Lime and Strawberry-Kiwi flavors. These are also available in the Park Café, and in some of the other venues on Allure/Oasis such as the Wipeout Café and Solarium Café. However, they are not available in the MDR or the Café Promenade.

Archived