Need to buy insurance

gamecockinnc

A couple of questions. I didn't book travel insurance through Carnival like I usually do because I read an article about InsureMyTrip.com.

We cruise in 3 weeks and I am trying to get it done ASAP.

But I have a few questions please.

1. Is there any reason I should not buy cruise insurance so close to sailing? I can't remember what I read about pre existing conditions.

2. What type of insurance should I look for on InsureMyTrip.com you can select all plans to search or should I select a specific type of plan?

3. Can or do I include my airfare in the trip cost? I booked our airfare separate directly through US Airways.com but it was expensive?

4. Can or do I include the cost of the hotel for the night before the cruise?

5. When I enter my dates do I enter the cruise dates or do I enter the day before the cruise leaves since we are flying in the day before?

6. There are so many companies and plans to choose from. I am overwhelmed.

Any other advise or tips please!!!!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help answer these questions!

TA

A couple of questions. I didn't book travel insurance through Carnival like I usually do because I read an article about InsureMyTrip.com.

We cruise in 3 weeks and I am trying to get it done ASAP.

But I have a few questions please.

1. Is there any reason I should not buy cruise insurance so close to sailing? I can't remember what I read about pre existing conditions.

2. What type of insurance should I look for on InsureMyTrip.com you can select all plans to search or should I select a specific type of plan?

3. Can or do I include my airfare in the trip cost? I booked our airfare separate directly through US Airways.com but it was expensive?

4. Can or do I include the cost of the hotel for the night before the cruise?

5. When I enter my dates do I enter the cruise dates or do I enter the day before the cruise leaves since we are flying in the day before?

6. There are so many companies and plans to choose from. I am overwhelmed.

Any other advise or tips please!!!!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help answer these questions!

TA

All of the above.

I always start my insurance 72 hrs before my cruise starts. I make sure I'm covered for cancellation even I'm delayed due car trouble or weather. Because I have been using Cruise line insurance for that last few cruises . I don't worry because I have cancel for any reason with the cruise line.

Thank you for responding! Do you have any tips on narrowing down the numerous companies and plans? I entered everything into InsureMyTrip.com and there are so many options.

I have started to go through them and one of options is CSA Custom Plan. I did google search and it has good ratings. But I don't want to be lazy and just book the first one.

We always buy travel insurance for a cruise and buy it when we make the final payment, which is usually 75 days before the cruise. We've bought it online before, but for the past several years we've bought from our TA and don't remember the name of the company we bought online. We usually pay about 7-8% of the trip cost for the insurance premium.

With only a few weeks left before your trip, I think I'd strongly consider not buying any insurance. If you and your travel companions are healthy, and a death in your immediate families is unlikely, I'd say your risk is low. We've cruised 25 times and I've asked many people we've met over the years if they buy insurance and I was surprised to learn that many do not. I figure we've spent ~$125,000 for cruises, and another $10,000 for insurance over the years. Never had to file a claim.

I have to disagree with twentyknots telling you not to buy insurance. No matter what your age or degree of health, anybody can have an accident. Most health care coverage does not cover outside of the country. Can you afford $5000 or more per day in a hospital, surgery costs, or medical evacuation from another country? You might decide not to get cancellation insurance, baggage loss, etc. but if you don't get anything else, get medical coverage. Yes, the chances are you won't need it but what if you do?

I have to disagree with twentyknots telling you not to buy insurance. No matter what your age or degree of health, anybody can have an accident. Most health care coverage does not cover outside of the country. Can you afford $5000 or more per day in a hospital, surgery costs, or medical evacuation from another country? You might decide not to get cancellation insurance, baggage loss, etc. but if you don't get anything else, get medical coverage. Yes, the chances are you won't need it but what if you do?

Agree with you totally......you never know what is waiting around the corner....you're life can change in a split second....better to be prepared.

Be careful when reading travel insurance company reviews. Many of the reviews amount to buying insurance, not what happens when a claim is filed. I find the reviews given by people who have NOT made any claims to be worthless. Most any company/business is great when just buying from them. I look for info from people who have actually had to file a claim.

Guest maddycat

We always buy travel insurance. We buy our travel insurance through the Trip Insurance Store. Their site is very informative, easy to use, and understand. If we have any questions we call and speak to one of their knowledgeable and helpful agents.

***Trip Insurance Store***

We always buy travel insurance. We buy our travel insurance through the Trip Insurance Store. Their site is very informative, easy to use, and understand. If we have any questions we call and speak to one of their knowledgeable and helpful agents.

***Trip Insurance Store***

It is NOT my intent to be offending.

However, I've noticed that almost ALL of your posts on the insurance forum are almost exactly the same word for word, asteric for asteric.

I have to ask if you have a financial interest in the Trip Insurance Store?

Guest maddycat
It is NOT my intent to be offending.

However, I've noticed that almost ALL of your posts on the insurance forum are almost exactly the same word for word, asteric for asteric.

I have to ask if you have a financial interest in the Trip Insurance Store?

I have absolutely no financial interest in the Trip Insurance Store. I'm not connected to them in any way. I use them to buy our travel insurance. I'm very happy with their service. I like that they only sell travel insurance from 5 companies that they have prescreened. I think that it cuts down on the confusion of having to wade through all of the different companies that you find on other sites like insuremytrip.com. I post their link because most people on cc mention insuremytrip.com.

Oh, and the asterisks that accompany the trip insurance store link were added by me so that I can more easily find the link in my favorites. No offence taken. I know that buying travel insurance can be very confusing. I'm just trying to be helpful and give people other options.

We have bought travel insurance from Travel Guard. Twice we need to make a claim. Once due to DH getting sick during the cruise and needing to visit the doctor. The other time - for my illness (norovirus - needed hydrating), combined with a blizzard back home delaying our return by two days. We need hotels for two nights, alternate trip home (Amtrak vs our original flights), meals for the two days...

Travel Guard was great. We got very clear instructions on how to make our claims (medical, delay of trip, and trip interruption - 3 separate claims). She emailed the forms while i was on the phone with her. We received every penny back approx. 2 weeks after mailing in our claim forms.

I would never NOT buy travel insurance for any pre-paid travel because anything can happen.

We always purchase travel insurance from our TA......a few years ago we needed to make a claim. Unfortunately, my father-in-law passed away the night before our cruise......our TA and travel insurance were so very appreciated during that stressful time..........

Very happy it worked out for you but here's the problem with that. (doesn't happen often, but DOES happen)

TA is having financial problems. TA is playing payday bingo with customers/clients money. TA either doesn't pay all monies owed to insurance company or travel provider. TA either skips town or files bankruptcy.

Customer/client has zero (none) ((nada)) recourse other than stand in line behind all the lawyers of crediters.

In most cases it is a wise choice to seperate your insurance provider from your travel provider.

Ok, I have delayed buying the travel insurance (have a good reason) but I must get it done ASAP we sail October 12th.

I have read everything I can and have about 7 plans to choose from on InsureMyTrip.com but am still at a loss.

For example most policies state 12 hour delay for luggage. One policy has a 6 hours delay. Medical goes from $15,000-$50,000.

Trip Interuption is anywhere from $1400-$2000.

All have ER evacuation from $100,000-$500,000

None of these policies have the cancel for any reason option.

And of course pre existing isn't available because we booked so close to sailing and also didn't buy insurance within the allotted time frame.

They range in cost from $112-$130 and all cost more than Carnivals plan of $95 per person.

Last year was the second time I had to use insurance but I filed through our primary (Tricare) and they paid. I had to go to the ships doctor 2 times for antibiotics. My insurance paid us back the $150 charge. So I didn't even file a claim with our insurance through Carnival.

Our only other experience having to file a claim was a nightmare. We were on the Caribbean Princess and stuck in the Gulf circling for days as a hurricane pounded FLL. We filed claims for cost, delays and airline delays and never saw a penny.

I guess I just am paranoid and believe in having insurance. I suffered an aneurysm 11 years ago while 8 months pregnant and know life can change on a dime. I am now but you never forget something like that. But I am no closer to choosing a policy and wonder if I should just get Carnival $95 per person plan.

We got an amazing deal on our 8 night cruise on the CCL Breeze with military and past cruiser savings.

Our airfare is around $900 and cruise around $2000 and then hotel in MIA around $150 (plus tax). But it isn't just these cost I worry about it is the unknown that could occur. The need for ER evacuation, flight delays, lost luggage etc.

Plus I can't find where it should say mechanical failures are covered in any of these polices or if they are primary not secondary to our own insurance.

Any thoughts or help would greatly appreciated!

TA

Ok, I have delayed buying the travel insurance (have a good reason) but I must get it done ASAP we sail October 12th.

I have read everything I can and have about 7 plans to choose from on InsureMyTrip.com but am still at a loss.

For example most policies state 12 hour delay for luggage. One policy has a 6 hours delay. Medical goes from $15,000-$50,000.

Trip Interuption is anywhere from $1400-$2000.

All have ER evacuation from $100,000-$500,000

None of these policies have the cancel for any reason option.

And of course pre existing isn't available because we booked so close to sailing and also didn't buy insurance within the allotted time frame.

They range in cost from $112-$130 and all cost more than Carnivals plan of $95 per person.

Last year was the second time I had to use insurance but I filed through our primary (Tricare) and they paid. I had to go to the ships doctor 2 times for antibiotics. My insurance paid us back the $150 charge. So I didn't even file a claim with our insurance through Carnival.

Our only other experience having to file a claim was a nightmare. We were on the Caribbean Princess and stuck in the Gulf circling for days as a hurricane pounded FLL. We filed claims for cost, delays and airline delays and never saw a penny.

I guess I just am paranoid and believe in having insurance. I suffered an aneurysm 11 years ago while 8 months pregnant and know life can change on a dime. I am now but you never forget something like that. But I am no closer to choosing a policy and wonder if I should just get Carnival $95 per person plan.

We got an amazing deal on our 8 night cruise on the CCL Breeze with military and past cruiser savings.

Our airfare is around $900 and cruise around $2000 and then hotel in MIA around $150 (plus tax). But it isn't just these cost I worry about it is the unknown that could occur. The need for ER evacuation, flight delays, lost luggage etc.

Plus I can't find where it should say mechanical failures are covered in any of these polices or if they are primary not secondary to our own insurance.

Any thoughts or help would greatly appreciated!

TA

You posted this information twice. Please look to the new thread you started for responses. (BTW, it is a no-no to post things multiple times. No a big deal, just don't do it. :D)

Archived