Captains Table?

Dutchman

We have been at the captains table five times and each time we had a suite. Never been invited when we have our usual outside.

On one cruise we had a table for six and the other two couples who had an inside room were also invited. On another cruise everyone at our table of eight had a suite and we were all invited the same night to the captains table.

We have been at the captains table five times and each time we had a suite. Never been invited when we have our usual outside.

On one cruise we had a table for six and the other two couples who had an inside room were also invited. On another cruise everyone at our table of eight had a suite and we were all invited the same night to the captains table.

Hmmmm... there is a kind of unwritten rule about this. the Maitr'd would never pick a couple from a table of say six or eight and not invite the others to dine at the Captain's Table also. That way no one gets offended and everyone gets to play.

Stephen

So, Stephen, basicly what you're saying is that to get invited to dine at the Captain's Table I don't have to be witty and charming. I only need to be seated with others who are witty and charming.

Will that do it?

Hmmmm... there is a kind of unwritten rule about this. the Maitr'd would never pick a couple from a table of say six or eight and not invite the others to dine at the Captain's Table also. That way no one gets offended and everyone gets to play.

Stephen

I agree that is how they do it on HAL and I think that to be the best way.

Everytime we have cruised with Celebrity we have been invited to dine with the Captain. Three times it was great as we were traveling with another coupe (at a table for four) and we were all invited.

Two of the times we were on Celebrity (Zenith) and the social hostess invited us to dine with the Captain. We were honored and accepted and had a wonderful time.

Until the next evening.....in both cases.

We were at a table for 8 each time and the other folks at our table were not invited. BOTH times when we returned to our table the next evening, it was very uncomfortable. Immediately they asked why we had not been at the table the night before and we apologized and told them we had asked the steward to please relay the message we would not be coming to dinner. That is true. (We did not elaborate beyond that.)

But at least one of them had seen us enter the dining room with the Captain and the others we were dining with so they knew where we were. It made us feel as though we should apologize or something which is ridiculous. They were very rude people but we had to spend the rest of our cruise at that table. One of the women insisted that it was she who should have been invited as she had sailed with the company on two more cruises than we had!!! :( I told her to take it up with someone else. I did not control the guest list for any dinners/parties/ receptions that Celebrity chose to run on that cruise and tried very hard to change the subject and get on with other conversation.

Thankfully, HAL has never put us into such a situation and it is another reason we always choose to sail with them. They have better manners :) and anticipate their guests' comfort needs.

But sail7seas, from reading many posts, your DH and you always sit at a table for 2 - so there wouldn't be a problem explaining to anytone the next evening why you weren't at your HAL table for dinner.

CELEBRITY CRUISELINE, KK.

On HAL, which is all we now cruise, we always have our table for two. This was on Celebrity several years ago.

On HAL is we are so honored as to be invited to dine with the Captain, we have no uncomfortable moments explaining to anyone where we have been. :)

Last May when we weare invited to the Captains table there were six of us at one table and two at another ( one of whom declined the invitation) . The

Matra D told us he needed another couple to fill the table. We all told him that

we had made friends with a wonderful couple who would be perfect. He

immediately got their name and cabin number (which we weren't sure of) and

they were invited taking them away from their tablemates. We all had a wonderful evening and that couple have become very good friends.

I like having an Officer host our table on formal nights. We have always had a great time - the service and food is always impeccable.

We had the Chief Engineer I think it was, on our last voyage on the Volendam - he was very entertaining.

The best, by far, was having the HM join us on the Maasdam last year - we sure had superior service that evening!

So, Stephen, basicly what you're saying is that to get invited to dine at the Captain's Table I don't have to be witty and charming. I only need to be seated with others who are witty and charming.

Will that do it?

Ruth,

YOU don't have to do anything! It is the rest of your table who will get to go because the capatin has instructed the Maitr's to ask you to dine at his table!:)

Stephen

I like having an Officer host our table on formal nights. We have always had a great time - the service and food is always impeccable.

We had the Chief Engineer I think it was, on our last voyage on the Volendam - he was very entertaining.

The best, by far, was having the HM join us on the Maasdam last year - we sure had superior service that evening!

Was that Mr. Dirk??? :)

Tom has reported here that he is retiring when he leaves Maasdam this month.

Last May when we weare invited to the Captains table there were six of us at one table and two at another ( one of whom declined the invitation) . The

Matra D told us he needed another couple to fill the table. We all told him that

we had made friends with a wonderful couple who would be perfect. He

immediately got their name and cabin number (which we weren't sure of) and

they were invited taking them away from their tablemates. We all had a wonderful evening and that couple have become very good friends.

:) Hi Gayle......

Curious. Any idea why that couple declined the invitation?

Were they sorry later when they heard what a good time the rest of you had? ;)

Hi Sail, The 2 sitting at the other table were single women, part of our group.

The one who declined the invite had a daughter aboard sitting at another

table. She decided to invite the daughter to join her that night for dinner.

Worked out really well for us as we were able to have the other couple

invited. As I said they have turned out to be very good friends. We all had

a wonderful evening.

Thanks, Gayle.

Isn't it great to meet new friends on the ships?

We met a wonderful woman on one of our cruises. We have since cruised with her 3 times and have another booked. She has become a very dear friend to us.

Archived