First international cruise!

Nyrina4life

Hello!! I'm going on my first international cruise next year for our honeymoon and I have a couple of questions.

We are sailing on the Serenade of the Sea, June 28th and will be at sea for 12 nights. We're also planning on spending two and a half days in Barcelona, Spain before we set sail.

First question I have is, does the cruise still do honeymoon celebrations?? Our sweet as pie, travel agent told the representative on the phone that we were going to be on our honeymoon.

Also, has anyone sailed on this ship and used the fitness center? Thoughts on it???

Also, I have to say I am nervous and excited at the same time. Not sure what to expect. I all ready have my passport, as does my fiance. This will be his first time on Royal Caribbean, and my second time (Nassau first trip out).

Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I might suggest you repost this on the Royal Caribbean board here at CC, where the Royal experts reside. there is also a forum here for wedding/honeymoon cruisers, under Special Interest Cruising. You might get some input there. I have found on other lines that even when my birthday is noted in my cruise personalizer, we still have to remind the wait staff the day before. EM

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You should ask questions on the RCI section here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

You can find out about your ports here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

You may also want to join your Roll Call and see what private tours others are doing - here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1878401

Congratulations on your Upcoming wedding.

Congratulations. One thing to note - all of your documents / reservations (both air and ship), passport, etc. must have the same name / and they must match exactly. So if your passport has your first name, middle name, last name, make sure you book your flights, cruise, etc. with the same name. That's one thing I think I check a dozen times when I make a reservation. :)

You are also very smart flying into the port 1+ days before sailing. That is one of the most important things to do to eliminate any issues that may occur. And yes check into your cruise board to see what is going on with a Meet and Greet and any Private Excursions that are being planned. Hope you have a Wonderful Honeymoon. Ours was 44 years ago!

I know that planning a wedding and the excitement leading up to it will be a time consumer, but when you have a chance be sure to check on the web for suggestions about how to be safe in foreign ports. I live in France close to the Mediterranean and know for sure that you need to perk up your pick-pocket awareness (clever little devils). Happily crime in the Med is never personal (you rarely, very rarely, hear of personal attacks on a person's body). But there are plenty of professional thieves operating in gangs/groups (you probably will only see one of them) ready to lift anything you put down or don't watch.

For example, when my husband is taking money from an ATM in Europe, I stand with my back to him and observe if anyone is watching him.

Never put your purse over the back or arm of a chair (say, in a restaurant).

You probably won't use your iPhone because of roaming charges, but if you do, never put it down...put it securely away. A reachable pocket, even in the front of slacks, is not a secure place.

European women wear over the shoulder (crosswise) purses and walk down the street with one hand on the purse. It discourages thieves who will choose someone else.

Don't let anyone distract you (such as dirty little kids).

Don't wear anything that says RICH or STUPID. No classy expensive jewelry or watches. Think about your bra as a nice place for your passport, cruise ID, and credit card (only take one on shore).

I wear a pair of comfy slacks that have zipper pockets below my knees, so it would be very hard to grab money out of these pockets.

Meanwhile, congratulations...you are in for some nice fun: Barcelona is really a VERY happening town.

I know that planning a wedding and the excitement leading up to it will be a time consumer, but when you have a chance be sure to check on the web for suggestions about how to be safe in foreign ports. I live in France close to the Mediterranean and know for sure that you need to perk up your pick-pocket awareness (clever little devils). Happily crime in the Med is never personal (you rarely, very rarely, hear of personal attacks on a person's body). But there are plenty of professional thieves operating in gangs/groups (you probably will only see one of them) ready to lift anything you put down or don't watch.

For example, when my husband is taking money from an ATM in Europe, I stand with my back to him and observe if anyone is watching him.

Never put your purse over the back or arm of a chair (say, in a restaurant).

You probably won't use your iPhone because of roaming charges, but if you do, never put it down...put it securely away. A reachable pocket, even in the front of slacks, is not a secure place.

European women wear over the shoulder (crosswise) purses and walk down the street with one hand on the purse. It discourages thieves who will choose someone else.

Don't let anyone distract you (such as dirty little kids).

Don't wear anything that says RICH or STUPID. No classy expensive jewelry or watches. Think about your bra as a nice place for your passport, cruise ID, and credit card (only take one on shore).

I wear a pair of comfy slacks that have zipper pockets below my knees, so it would be very hard to grab money out of these pockets.

Meanwhile, congratulations...you are in for some nice fun: Barcelona is really a VERY happening town.

Thank you for the reply. :) My dad was overseas a while back, and actually had a kid offer to take a photo of him, and then he demanded money or else he wouldn't give back the camera. I am prepared for that, I think.

Thank you everyone else, I am exploring the boards a bit more.

Archived