doing own laundry on cruise

annamarie0906

Has anyone done their own laundry on their cruise? We'll be on Splendor and saw they have the option. I was thinking of getting the travel Tide packets b/c this will help us pack even less. Just wanted to get a little more details like the amount of machines available and do you have to wait there while things are in the washer/dryer? I appreciate the help!

Has anyone done their own laundry on their cruise? We'll be on Splendor and saw they have the option. I was thinking of getting the travel Tide packets b/c this will help us pack even less. Just wanted to get a little more details like the amount of machines available and do you have to wait there while things are in the washer/dryer? I appreciate the help!

I have done my own laundry on the ship when the facility was close to our cabin so I could keep going back to check on it. It was a busy place. I know the machines took quarters and they had ironing boards too, which was nice. I have also waitied until the day they have offered laundry service at a reduced rate and left it in the bag and when we returned everything was done and back in our room.

washer and dryer $3 a load takes about 45 minutes to wash and dryer runs for about 45 minutes. each laundry station on ship has two washers , two dryers, 2 irons and 2 boards

if you are not there when washer / dryer stops be prepared for someone to take your clothes out of machines.. i tried to be kind last cruise and wait for person to come and get thier own things out of machines but after waiting for an hour i gave in and took thier clothes out.. i managed to get my load of clothes washed and almost dried before they showed up and claimed them.. they were a little upset that i would go through thier things but i explained i waited an hour and managed to get a load washed and almost dried before they showed up. case closed. Be considerateof others as a lot of people do the same as you and pack light or are doing a B2B

note when filling up coin slots it takes two quarters a slot

I use the laundry room for ironing only. If you have a day when the ship is in port and you're either not going ashore or spending time on the ship in port it would be the best time to do laundry IMHO.

I believe that I've seen 2 washers and 2 dryers in each. Detergent is available from a dispenser that would run $1 per load. Not sure of the cost of the washers and dryers.

I didn't see any advertised specials like a bag for $15 or $20 last week on the Conquest. I do get 3 bags per 7 night cruise done as wash and fold as a Platinum perk. I noticed that they charged $15 per bag for that then gave a $15 credit on my account when I used that. So maybe you can have wash & fold done for that price and not have to worry about actually doing the laundry yourself. (You will have to iron any shirts, trousers, etc.)

Charlie

Some ships are a little different. Sunshine had 3 washers 3 dryers 1 iron and board plus a sink and detergent buy machine. It also only took your SnS card which they are putting in more and more.

I do laundry every cruise and take the combo sheet for washing and drying.

Some ships are a little different. Sunshine had 3 washers 3 dryers 1 iron and board plus a sink and detergent buy machine. It also only took your SnS card which they are putting in more and more.

I do laundry every cruise and take the combo sheet for washing and drying.

I love those combo sheets but I've heard they're no longer in production. They are ideal, no leakage in the luggage.

I have done laundry on the ships several times also; as others have said, it's all about timing! There really isn't any place to sit down and wait in the laundry room, just keep track of time so you know when to check your laundry or get it out. I took my own quarters but I understand you can buy them at guest services if the ship you are on doesn't use the S&S card.

The $15 laundry bag deals are great, but I have read here on CC that everything is laundered in hot water and I prefer cold water for most of my clothing.

All the time. I hate traveling with dirty clothes. I typically leave out of Miami and I'm within driving distance to port (like 2 hours), so no flights or anything but I always do my laundry before getting off the ship, getting on flights, camping, anything and everything.

I typically just drop my clothes in the washer before the meal and dryer after. The timing typically works out perfectly.

I used the laundry facilities on the Fascination and it was quite a trek all the way back there - we were FWD and it must have been AFT. We didn't have the best experience. I would suggest not doing it close to dinner time. Lots of guys mostly, lined up waiting to iron their dress pants for dinner.

It wouldn't have been too bad for us if there was a dryer available. I was able to wash my load right away. When it was time to dry the clothes, I think there were 4 dryers. Two were in use, one was out of order and the 4th had a dried load in there just waiting to be taken out.. During my trips back and forth to check for an available dryer, I was getting to know all the fella's lined up waiting to use the iron & ironing board. They were all just telling me to take the stuff out and leave it on a shelf there.

After 30 (or more, can't remember) minutes of going back and forth looking to see if the abandoned load had been claimed, my DH decided enough is enough and finally moved that load to the broken dryer and got our stuff drying, it was almost 6pm and we had to get to the MDR . When it was time to take our stuff out, DH left the MDR and went and removed it right away - as for the abandoned load, it wasn't there so someone finally did come and get it !! :D

I did laundry on the Splendor and I agree, it's all about timing. I had a small dispute with a guy that came in a minute or so after me as one washing machine had 2 minutes left. He immediately claimed it because "he just checked it 10 minutes earlier". Really? I told him with 3000 people on board it should be first come, first serve. No, he was pretty nasty about it so I said whatever and left. Found out from housekeeping where another one was. Watch your dryer because I had a full load completely in 20 minutes!!

On my last cruise, I did laundry. It was myself, my husband, and my grown daughter and her friend in another room. We waited until Wednesday after we were done with sightseeing at the port, and while a lot of other guests were still off the ship and thought that it was a great time to do laundry. I told the girls to get theirs together and we did everything in 2 loads. For our upcoming cruise because it's only my husband and I will probably do the laundry again myself. I have already purchased travel size packets of the tide detergent (comes in travel size single use packets), and do laundry on a sea day or just wait until mid-week. Good luck, hope this helps.:D

We did our laundry when we did the Panama Canal. We packed the same Tide packets and we used a few conditioner sheets that we placed in a plastic zip lock. You don't have to bring the quarters as you can get them from GS. You don't have to wait there with the machine, however, if your machine is finished expect your wet or dry clothes to end up on the counter. So keep your timing in mind, you may end up waiting longer to get your laundry done. Kinda like the chair hog thing.

We did laundry on the Fantasy. We were on the Empress level. Our cabin was midship & laundry room was at the front. Think there were 2-3 washers and 2 dryers.

We put our stuff in for washing and had a few drinks at the Empress bar while the machine did it's thing. Piano man was playing which was cool. Repeated same cycle while clothes were drying. Think we got lucky with the timing because the washers were available when we went. Ironing board started getting busy once our clothes were done because it was close to first seating.

That time we bought the soap, bleach & dryer sheets on board because we didn't initially plan to wash clothes. But this time I already bought some laudnry supplies in case we decide to do laundry but I really hope to avoid that at all costs! :)

Many people use them so they are popular

Always check your cabin as u do t want to be near them

As for my self. I rather have a sharp stick in the eye and if I would suggest it to the wife ..... I still would get the stick just in another body part

Smart man, LOL.

Why not just treat yourself and use Carnival's wash and fold laundry service? You're on vacation! They usually do a special during the cruise for the wash and fold service. If you give it to your steward in the bag in the morning, you will have it back later the same day. I wouldn't send any "good" clothes to their laundry, but for shorts, tank tops, t shirts and such, it is fine.

Have a great cruise!

I just did laundry on our Freedom cruise last week. As stated above, the washers and dryers are $3.00 each. Approx. 25-30 mins. for wash, and when dryers start, it says 99 minutes. The laundry on deck 9 had 2 washers and 4 dryers. I always pick up Tide singles at WalMart in their trial and travel section. Best advice- bring a laundry bag of some sort for carrying.:)

We've done it on long trips, or if we want to cut our packing in half. Just plan on doing it at off hours, and you'll be fine.

Other options are sending it out. Just costs a little more, and there's options there too.

Just make sure you're back before the cycles are done, or you'll find your clothes moved.

We usually do laundry on the ship. We go through a lot of undergarments from working out. ;) Dh and I were on the Splendor in Jan. The only problem we had was the water not draining on one load. They refunded the money. We did laundry twice. We took 3 of the Tide packs you get from Target. They worked well. I also took Snuggle dryer sheets. The w and d are $3 each. Check the dryer times because it's for 90 minutes and they work well. I shared my dryer each time. You may find an empty one with time. We did laundry in the afternoon and early evening. No lines, waits, or problems except the one I mentioned. What deck are you on? I would recommend ironing at once of you need to. It was easier. We ironed dh's dinner shirts together in just a bit.

Archived