Smoke drift onto Cove Balcony?

danielsumner

It's been a few years since we have cruised. Sick family members prevented us from being gone and out of touch. This has resolved itself. I have retired so time frames are not important anymore. We did live in Miami so we took a lot of last minute cruises. Our last several cruises have been on Holland. The nearest port to us now is Port Canaveral (about a six hour drive), so unless we want to drive a bit longer we have RCI or Carnival to chose from. We have sailed on about a dozen or more Carnival cruises. Well enough about me. Here is my question. I'm not wanting to start a heated debate, but how is the tobacco smoke drift onto the Cove Balcony? I love a balcony with the steel hull front. On the HAL ship I always tried to get the first balcony on the front of the ship because of the steel hull. We never did have a problem with smoke with the front balcony. I don't like the glass, can't see through it most of the time anyway. The Wife is very sensitive to smoke, so booking on Carnival is going to bit of a gamble.

We had cove 2349 on the Dream and are ex-smokers and seem very sensitive now to smoke. The couple in the cabin just forward of us were smokers and would smoke out on the balcony. Every once in awhile we'd get a certain gust of wind and could faintly smell the smoke but it was never bad, they were nice people and offered to not smoke while we were out there but it never was a problem for us so we'd just "visit" while watching the ocean together.

There is really no way to know if this will be an issue for you or not. Best bet would be or book a spa balcony where smoking isn't permitted or go with another cruise line.

For what it's worth... We never smelled smoke on our cove balcony, but that's just the luck of the draw for us.

Well the first balcony cabin on a ship that moves forward would work. All the smoke would be behind you.

Not necessarily, we always try to get the 1st balcony, 10th floor and somehow every cruise, we get a cigar smoker close by and can smell it. We have had to retreat to our room many times because of the stinch. The only thing worse than cigarette smoke is cigar smoke. We don't make it a big deal, it's sadly just a part of cruising on Carnival.

Not necessarily, we always try to get the 1st balcony, 10th floor and somehow every cruise, we get a cigar smoker close by and can smell it. We have had to retreat to our room many times because of the stinch. The only thing worse than cigarette smoke is cigar smoke. We don't make it a big deal, it's sadly just a part of cruising on Carnival.

Please explain how this is possible.

I was in the 3rd cove balcony in june. the people right in front of us smoked and occasional when they where outside we got a faint smell of smoke. nothing to disturb us. go for it - further forward the better.

Of course with the cove there are no balconies immediately above or below for any smoke to drift from..

If the ship is sailing at 17 knots, and there's a tail wind greater than 17 knots, smoke and all air will travel forward.

Sadly this is misinformation.

I would have never guessed it myself....

but we were making 22 knots on the Carnival Spirit to get back to our port in time (we had a medical emergency that delayed us)....

and our balcony neighbors were heavy smokers.

every time I opened the door....the cabin would literally be filled with the smoke haze that was sucked in....

and that was at 22 knots.....

We had the very first Cove on the Magic...2248 and it was fine.

IF you get a Cloud 9 Spa balcony .... make sure you get it on the STARBOARD side....

the Port side is the exterior smoking side and that is also the side they smoke cigars on....right under the balconies.

Most of the exterior smoking happens on the STARBOARD side but on the newer ships with the Cloud 9 Spa cabins...it is the PORT side.

Not sure about the new Sunshine.....

Sadly this is misinformation.

I would have never guessed it myself....

but we were making 22 knots on the Carnival Spirit to get back to our port in time (we had a medical emergency that delayed us)....

and our balcony neighbors were heavy smokers.

every time I opened the door....the cabin would literally be filled with the smoke haze that was sucked in....

and that was at 22 knots.....

If you want to add states of vacuums to the equation, be my guest.

What was the barometric pressure, wind direction, and speed during your experience?

It's been a few years since we have cruised. Sick family members prevented us from being gone and out of touch. This has resolved itself. I have retired so time frames are not important anymore. We did live in Miami so we took a lot of last minute cruises. Our last several cruises have been on Holland. The nearest port to us now is Port Canaveral (about a six hour drive), so unless we want to drive a bit longer we have RCI or Carnival to chose from. We have sailed on about a dozen or more Carnival cruises. Well enough about me. Here is my question. I'm not wanting to start a heated debate, but how is the tobacco smoke drift onto the Cove Balcony? I love a balcony with the steel hull front. On the HAL ship I always tried to get the first balcony on the front of the ship because of the steel hull. We never did have a problem with smoke with the front balcony. I don't like the glass, can't see through it most of the time anyway. The Wife is very sensitive to smoke, so booking on Carnival is going to bit of a gamble.

You might consider a spa balcony. No smoking allowed on the spa balconies.

We had Cove Balcony 2288 on the Breeze. Not only were there smokers on each side of us... there were kids too! :eek:

The design is so excellent we never caught a whiff of smoke. The only reason I know they smoked was we would exchange pleasantries at the rail when I leaned my head out to look up and down the ship. :)

And the rooms were so well sound proofed we never heard a peep from the little ones flanking us. :)

Some people seem to be preternaturally sensitive to cigarette smoke.

Archived