FAIR Compensation for Cancelled Cruise??!!

lhbsurf

:mad::mad:

To those who think that Celebrity Compensation is fair .......

"Full Cruise Fare Credit" for the Cruise portion of our Cruise and Land Tour for which we paid $6,600 to Celebrity is less than $1700 ($850 per person including taxes for a 2C Verandah). While we did get most of the cruise tour (the last day was cancelled), I have just found out that my 100% Future Cruise Credit for a Verandah Cabin is $721. Can anyone explain to me how anyone in their right mind would book a cruise tour that costs $4,900?

My TA has been arguing for an hour to no avail - they will not honor their fabulous cruise price for the same week next year and it will cost us almost $2,000 to use our future cruise credit for the same cruise next year.

At this point, the 100% future cruise credit is so ridiculous, I'd rather pay full fare and give my money to Princess.

Those of you who only purchased the Cruise, count yourself lucky!! I hope others who were on Cruise Tours fared better than us, but I doubt it.

"Full Cruise Fare Credit" for the Cruise portion of our Cruise and Land Tour for which we paid $6,600 to Celebrity is less than $1700 ($850 per person including taxes for a 2C Verandah). While we did get most of the cruise tour (the last day was cancelled), I have just found out that my 100% Future Cruise Credit for a Verandah Cabin is $721. Can anyone explain to me how anyone in their right mind would book a cruise tour that costs $4,900?

My TA has been arguing for an hour to no avail - they will not honor their fabulous cruise price for the same week next year and it will cost us almost $2,000 to use our future cruise credit for the same cruise next year.

Here's some numbers to call, I have omitted names, but this is there executive department. Host Andy, I hope this poeting of numbers is not a rule violation

At this point, the 100% future cruise credit is so ridiculous, I'd rather pay full fare and give my money to Princess.

Those of you who only purchased the Cruise, count yourself lucky!! I hope others who were on Cruise Tours fared better than us, but I doubt it.

I had a simuliar problem a few years ago, when Mr.Hanrahan was in charge of Celebrity. I got tired of dealing with the lower level customer service reps reading from a script. I was able to reach the executive offices and after a few tactful and respectful exchanges was able to get the situation and compensation resolved to my satisfaction.

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

1(888) 767-4644, ext. 11702

1(305) 539-6000, ext. 11702

1(800) 886-6485 fax

Good Luck:eek:

I am not sure what, where and how many days you were on the tour portion, but apparently, you did pay that much! ;)

$850 for a standard Veranda stateroom for a 7 night cruise sounds about right, or close to it. The Sky Suite that we stayed in on the Century to Alaska were going for $1300 about a week before we sailed in early September.

What you need to do is find out from someone that was not on a tour what they paid for their stateroom, only.

I would say that fair compensation for a cancelled cruise (within 1 month of sailing) would be 100% of the cruise cost plus any associated airfare/parking/excursions booked.

And for a company willing to go "above and beyond" perhaps a 50% discount on a similar cruise booked to sail within 6 months.

I am not sure what, where and how many days you were on the tour portion, but apparently, you did pay that much! ;)

$850 for a standard Veranda stateroom for a 7 night cruise sounds about right, or close to it. The Sky Suite that we stayed in on the Century to Alaska were going for $1300 about a week before we sailed in early September.

What you need to do is find out from someone that was not on a tour what they paid for their stateroom, only.

Apparently I did pay that...I hope they can prove it!! But that's not what they were going for when I booked it a year in advance because I intensely researched doing the land portion on my own....it was no where near that price....but since travel companions had mobility/medical issues...we decided it would be worth the couple hundred bucks more to let them handle the luggage. The standard Veranda was going for a little under $3,000 per couple when I booked it.

Standard Verandah for the exact same week in 2014 (which we already have booked incidentally) is $1409. If they would honor that price for my "replacement" cruise next year. I would be a happy camper. At this point, they refuse to do that.

I cannot wait until a week before sailing to book my cruise to Alaska, as we are on the east coast. I don't think the week before price is a fair comparison.

I had a simuliar problem a few years ago, when Mr.Hanrahan was in charge of Celebrity. I got tired of dealing with the lower level customer service reps reading from a script. I was able to reach the executive offices and after a few tactful and respectful exchanges was able to get the situation and compensation resolved to my satisfaction.

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

1(888) 767-4644, ext. 11702

1(305) 539-6000, ext. 11702

1(800) 886-6485 fax

Good Luck:eek:

That is good news. I suppose that, or working through the Captain's club will be our next step, as our Travel Agent was unable to get anywhere.

Apparently I did pay that...I hope they can prove it!! But that's not what they were going for when I booked it a year in advance because I intensely researched doing the land portion on my own....it was no where near that price....but since travel companions had mobility/medical issues...we decided it would be worth the couple hundred bucks more to let them handle the luggage. The standard Veranda was going for a little under $3,000 per couple when I booked it.

Standard Verandah for the exact same week in 2014 (which we already have booked incidentally) is $1409. If they would honor that price for my "replacement" cruise next year. I would be a happy camper. At this point, they refuse to do that.

I cannot wait until a week before sailing to book my cruise to Alaska, as we are on the east coast. I don't think the week before price is a fair comparison.

No, it is not a good comparison when you paid the full price. We did too...for our SS and then the price dropped closer to sailing ($2100pp to $1300pp). Made us madder than hornets! But it seems that Celebrity is giving you the lowest possible credit that they sell those cabins for.

BTW- We are also from TN. :rolleyes:

You should get back the exact price that your cabin was at the time of booking, as if you had only booked the cabin and not the land part. Makes total sense to me and I wouldn't accept less :eek:

Also you missed the last day of your land part, was this Celebrity's fault? If so that should be compensated for on a pro rate basis.

On the cancelled Sept. 6 southbound cruise, the 2B cabins were priced at $749 pp for cruise alone - without land tour.

There was a senior price of $899 pp for concierge C2 and C3 cabins and $849 for XC.

Those were the last prices posted before the cruise got canceled.

Looking at the same cruise for the same time frame next year, the prices are much higher.

They are not yet showing senior prices.

But maybe those prices will also come down as the sailing date gets closer, if they don't sell out.

It would be great if they would let this year's disappointed passengers re-book the same cruise in the same cabin category for the same price next year, but that is just wishful thinking on my part.

No, it is not a good comparison when you paid the full price. We did too...for our SS and then the price dropped closer to sailing ($2100pp to $1300pp). Made us madder than hornets! ......

Am I missing something here? You are madder than hornets because people who booked just before booking got a much lower price than you did.

WOW. That really says a lot about you.

(Unless I have misunderstood, in which case I do apologize)

Am I missing something here? You are madder than hornets because people who booked just before booking got a much lower price than you did.

I think people are annoyed because they are only getting refunded at the rate the cruise was at just before sailing and not at the rate they actually paid

I think people are annoyed because they are only getting refunded at the rate the cruise was at just before sailing and not at the rate they actually paid

I didnt read carefully, but any reasonably intelligent person would expect to be refunded what they paid.....which has no relevance to the price of the cabin when the ship sailed.

The reimbursement amount for the cruise portion of a cruise and land combo seems to be the problem. Celebrity seems to allocate most of the amount paid to the land portion - thus reducing the amount they need to reimburse for the cruise - and also the FCC credit. Very unfair calculation of the promised compensation.:eek:

See a similar discussion of the cruise and land allocation from a big box store TA on: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1908222&page=6

"Fair" is meeting the requirements of the contract that both parties agreed to sign. Anything above that is a"goodwill" and icing on the cake.

In reality there is little that is fair in the cruise contract.....but we either ignore or accept it in order to cruise. It's a bit like insurance...everything is wonderful until you actually file a claim.

You should get back the exact price that your cabin was at the time of booking, as if you had only booked the cabin and not the land part. Makes total sense to me and I wouldn't accept less :eek:

Also you missed the last day of your land part, was this Celebrity's fault? If so that should be compensated for on a pro rate basis.

Their tour guides assured us that this would be the case....obviously trying to console 80+ people who were on our 6 day land tour.

All the tours the last day were cancelled and we had to leave at 8:00a.m. to head back to Anchorage because Celebrity had begun scheduling flights home for some passengers...the rest of us...too bad.

I know... as one of our cruise tour mates said frequently... "it is what it is"... I am not expecting to make money...or even break even on this fiasco. But, Celebrity is not to be congratulated on their great handling and compensation for this event. They may be able to fudge their numbers and make it "legal", but in my opinion, it is definitely not fair. I know what the cruise only cost when I booked it and their reimbursement is 1/2 of that amount.

I am thankful that it is a "First World Problem", and I can afford to travel...but as a fairly frequent and relatively young Celebrity Cruiser....I am disappointed in their handling of this to date. If I am ever able to get past the first line script...I will update and let everyone know.

Thanks for letting me vent!

In reality there is little that is fair in the cruise contract.....but we either ignore or accept it in order to cruise. It's a bit like insurance...everything is wonderful until you actually file a claim.

You are exactly correct - I agree completely.

Correct! The cruise contract is written to benefit the company, not really protect the passenger. However, a contract is a contract and both parties are obligated to follow it. My guess is that's what a Court would say and that's why I defined "fair" as I did. That being said, I believe that Celebrity needs to go beyond the contract, not because its fair, but because it's right.

Correct! The cruise contract is written to benefit the company, not really protect the passenger. However, a contract is a contract and both parties are obligated to follow it. My guess is that's what a Court would say and that's why I defined "fair" as I did. That being said, I believe that Celebrity needs to go beyond the contract, not because its fair, but because it's right.

There are, of course, two courts. Yes the legal court would enforce the words in the contract in a few years. The more powerful court, in this case, is the court of public opinion. Unfortunately, it's not clear that anyone in celebrity management cares much about the latter or we wouldnt be seeing these threads.

There are, of course, two courts. Yes the legal court would enforce the words in the contract in a few years. The more powerful court, in this case, is the court of public opinion. Unfortunately, it's not clear that anyone in celebrity management cares much about the latter or we wouldnt be seeing these threads.

We appear to agree.

A very fine post. By the way, one of my grandsons just graduated from V.P.I. ( which most folks now call Va.Tech.) Also, I handled a drug case there many years ago when I was still practicing. That campus is beautiful.

:( I do not understand what you and jackdiamond are upset about. :confused:

DH and I paid $2100pp for a SS very early on. And then, about a month before our cruise (after final payment), the price started going down on those same SS. It went all the way down to $1300pp. Why should we not be mad?

:( I do not understand what you and jackdiamond are upset about. :confused:

DH and I paid $2100pp for a SS very early on. And then, about a month before our cruise (after final payment), the price started going down on those same SS. It went all the way down to $1300pp. Why should we not be mad?

Gee, I was about to publish an apology based on what others explained about you not getting an honest refund, and then you write this.

Why should you be mad as hornets because others waited until the last minute to book and got a better deal? They chose to gamble with the price and you did not. You are mad because they won their gamble?

Archived