Pacific Pearl Departing 7th April 2014

possum52

Good afternoon all,

My husband and I are cruising on the Pacific Pearl departing April 7th next year. The Sydney Ports website has that the Pacific Pearl is departing from the OPT which will suit us well as we plan to fly in early in the morning of the 7th from Melbourne and catch the train to Circular Quay. My question is it possible that the departure could be moved to White Bay? As we have only sailed from Brisbane before, we're not sure if that would be a possiblilty.

Regards,

Leigh

Good afternoon all,

My husband and I are cruising on the Pacific Pearl departing April 7th next year. The Sydney Ports website has that the Pacific Pearl is departing from the OPT which will suit us well as we plan to fly in early in the morning of the 7th from Melbourne and catch the train to Circular Quay. My question is it possible that the departure could be moved to White Bay? As we have only sailed from Brisbane before, we're not sure if that would be a possiblilty.

Regards,

Leigh

yes Sydney Ports have you going from Circular Quay and seeing there's no other ships in that day they shouldnt change it but if they do you should get an email from p&o or your TA

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Possum.

We are on that cruise too. It was listed as from White Bay when I looked ages ago (booked a few months ago now) and I noticed it is now at OPT. I hope it stays there for similar reasons, although we are probably driving down.

P

Yes, it will be more convenient to sail from Circular Quay but if it is White Bay so be it. I hope if there a change we have plenty of notice as I like to plan ahead.

Hope you and your family enjoy your first cruise.

Leigh

• 1 month later...

If you are flying in early in the morning you can probably get on a transfer bus - keep an eye out for the woman walking through the terminal with the p&o clipboard (like a pied piper, with a line of people dragging bags following her) - it costs $20 (cash) or $22 (if you put it on your account). Cheaper than a taxi. If you get a taxi, tell them to go through Redfern rather than on the tollway. The tollway takes you through the CBD and adds time (and toll expense) to your taxi fare. We paid $42 from White Bay to the airport, and the driver was driving as slowly as he possibly could to eke out the fare. Friends went the otherway, through the tollway and it cost them $70.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Fredette,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I think at this stage we will use the train from the airport to Circular Quay but your suggestion re the shuttle is one to keep in mind.

Thanks Fredette,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I think at this stage we will use the train from the airport to Circular Quay but your suggestion re the shuttle is one to keep in mind.

if you have a bit of luggage the train is not the best, the fare is $16.40 one way and $12.50 for pensioners or kids

Thanks for the information rkmw. We will have a suitcase and backpack each. Hopefully we can manage. We have used Sydney trains quite a bit on our previous trips there and have caught the train to Circular Quay. I'm assuming that there are lifts from each platform? We used the escalator last time and didn't take any notice of lifts.

Do you think we will manage or would it be easier to take a taxi?

Thanks again,

Leigh

Thanks for the information rkmw. We will have a suitcase and backpack each. Hopefully we can manage. We have used Sydney trains quite a bit on our previous trips there and have caught the train to Circular Quay. I'm assuming that there are lifts from each platform? We used the escalator last time and didn't take any notice of lifts.

Thanks again,

Leigh

Leigh your choice and seeing you have got the train before you should be ok as long as its not peak hour going into Sydney

Thanks again,

Leigh

Yes, there are lifts on the platform as I did it this way with my elderly Mum the first time we went cruising together. The problem for her was the long walk from the station down to the cruise ship - she was pushing a wheelie-walker and is aged 87! :o

The next time we arranged with Towncars.com.au to pick us up from the terminal and take us right to the ship for about $50 - similar price to a taxi.

BTW we are embarking on the 16 April as you depart, our first cruise with P&O so please look after the Pearl for us!

Edited by gaechann

Thanks rkmw and gaechann for your replies. It will be approx.10.30am as we arrive in Sydney from Melbourne, so hopefully the trains will be past peak by then! But I must say your thoughts certainly have us thinking about what we will do. Perhaps we will play it by ear and see what happens come the 7th April. The towncar does sounds a great alternative.

Thanks again,

Leigh

• 2 months later...

we will join you as we just booked a last minute deal for this cruise and looking forward to it. Unable to find roll call! We will be flying in from Melbourne and booked transfers for the 6 of us so as not to stress and worry. Doing a back to back cruise for our return to Melbourne. flights and transfer $159 + $22 = $179. May as well pay another $120 for an extra 2 nights ... love it :)

Hello Wisiddship, hope you enjoy the cruise. We are certainly looking forward to it. Hope the weather is kind to us. We didn't consider the back to back as my husband wants to be back home before Good Friday as he organises our local fire brigade to collect for the Royal Childrens' Hospital Good Friday Appeal so we will fly back to Melbourne in the afternoon after docking.

Leigh

• 2 weeks later...

no worries, and now I find that 2 of us have received an upgrade and the other 4 have stayed were they where. ( So much for booking rooms beside each other ) Is this because we booked so late? At least we are on the same ship!!!

Gaechann, we are doing a back to back so will be on your cruise too!

Good morning Wisiddship,

You have probably received an upgrade because the 'no upgrade' box wasn't ticked when you made the booking. It seems to be pot luck if you receive an upgrade or not, no rhyme or reason to it. Not sure if you can request you stay where you originally were or not.

Nine days to go!