Port or starboard side on IOS

kellance13879

Attempting to purchase a balcony room on IOS march 29th-April 6 eastern caribbean... Would really like to know which side of the ship you will see the most ports from... Really like the idea of watching the ship pull into port and watching it from the balcony each day.

Also any suggestions of rooms would be great... this is only my second cruise and first balcony purchase!

thanks!:)

I don't think the ship you are sailing on will make any difference on which side your cabin is so here's my take.

We always try to get a cabin facing portside because we love sitting on our balcony watching the late pier runners coming back to the ship.

We were on a B2B in 2012 and both weeks we went to the same ports. We also had the same cabin each week thinking both weeks our balcony would face the port. The first week our balcony did face the port and the second week we found ourselves facing the open waters instead of the port.

There is just no way of knowing which side the Captain will decide to dock his ship.

You just have to hope for the best.

No way to tell which side will face the island. You do know that when docked, you're in a harbor, so it's not like the side away from land is looking out to sea....there's A LOT to view while in port!

Actually, the side away from the dock gives you more privacy...as there are no dockworkers staring up at you!

Port means LEFT...Starboard means RIGHT.....it has nothing to do with which way the ship might dock.

I always used to book port cabins but, after our transatlantic cruise I discovered that the ship often docks on the starboard side. You will still see the port gliding by as you steam. You can easily stroll up to the promenade deck to see all of the action from up there.

If you're an early riser head over to the bridge around 5:30 or 6:00 am and watch the twinkling lights from the distance slowing morph into street lamps and buildings, it's quite magical.

Jonathan

And next time you do if you're doing the eastern caribbean..after 5 cruises to that itinerary on RCI Liberty & Indy.. I love the portside and have had the best port views from those...The only time I haven't booked a portside cabin would be when I have been lucky to have had a true aft or sailing on the Oasis (which docks starboard side)..Enjoy your PR cabin but remember to keep those drapes closed at certain times.;):)

Archived