Passport question - processing times/time needed before cruise?

maberlyne

I have a twofold question. We booked a "last minute" Caribbean cruise in early December via Costco. My passport is expired and needs renewal. For some reason, I thought I read somewhere I needed to provide my passport number within a certain time of the cruise. As I'm looking on the website (RC), however, it just appears that I need to fill out the documentation by 3 days prior to the cruise. Am I missing something, or is that the latest time I have to provide my passport info?

Reason I ask is because of passport processing times. I'd prefer not to have to pay the $60+ expedited fee if necessary. The website currently says processing times are 6-8 weeks, though I seem to have heard they are coming much more quickly than that. But if I do need it sooner I won't hesitate to do what's needed.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

I have a twofold question. We booked a "last minute" Caribbean cruise in early December via Costco. My passport is expired and needs renewal. For some reason, I thought I read somewhere I needed to provide my passport number within a certain time of the cruise. As I'm looking on the website (RC), however, it just appears that I need to fill out the documentation by 3 days prior to the cruise. Am I missing something, or is that the latest time I have to provide my passport info?

Reason I ask is because of passport processing times. I'd prefer not to have to pay the $60+ expedited fee if necessary. The website currently says processing times are 6-8 weeks, though I seem to have heard they are coming much more quickly than that. But if I do need it sooner I won't hesitate to do what's needed.

Welcome to Cruise Critic...No need to pay the "rush fee" you will have it in plenty of time to provide your info online to RCI...We're getting ready for the eastern caribbean in a few days so I understand your excitement...Enjoy !!

I paid the $60 because I was getting ready for a trip when I realized my passport would expire in less than six months. I wanted to make sure I got it back in time. My DH sent his in just to have it done before our October cruise.

I got mine back in 12 days. He got his back 3 days later without paying the $60.

Do it now and you'll have it back in plenty of time.

Our passports are fixing to expire and I called our local county clerks office and she said the price is 85 to 100 to renew our passports, she even gave us a website gov. (something) to fill out and bring. Where did you find 60 dollars, do yall get paperwork over the internet, etc - help pls :)

My renewal took 2 weeks. I wouldn't pay the $60 but I wouldn't wait either. For piece of mind be sure to have your certified birth certificate and drivers license. Then no matter what happens you have what ya need to board, as long as you are on a closed loop cruise that is :) I take both with us anyway. One cruise that I lost my driver's license getting back on the ship in the eray machine so having my passport I was able to get through customs once we were home without any issue.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Yeah, learn from my experience. The fee for renewing is bad enough without adding another $60 without needing to.

Just get it done and then you won't have to worry about it. We filled out the form from the website, added new picture, old passport and check and mailed it at the post office so the postage would be right. The post office clerk checked it make sure I included everything and off it went.

I did pay for Priority Mail from my end, the passport people sent it back regular mail!!

We bought passport photos at a drugstore yesterday, then went to the Post Office for our appointment. We could not get expedited service since we were not traveling within two weeks.

I was very organized, had all the birth certificates, state ID, applications and pictures. We were processed for all three applications in about 30 minutes.

Only issue, they mail off your birth certificates with the passport applications! :eek: I didn't know that would happen, even though I read the information a few times. We were told the birth certificates would come separately from the passports a few days later.

I will be watching the mail to see when they come and calling the number the week before the cruise if they haven't arrived yet.

Just heard on the news today, something you wouldn't think about but with the budget issues and possible (not probable) government shutdown on Tuesday, the news made special note that all passport applications/renewals will be delayed if the shutdown occurs.

Too bad your passport expired, it would have been a little cheaper to get a renewal while it was still active:( I processed a renewal a few months ago and it actually did take 6-8 weeks, but I don't think that's the norm. Not going to need it until this winter but it was going to expire and wanted to get the renewal rate.

As someone noted, if there is a government shutdown there will be delays. But who knows if that will happen, I wouldn't worry about it.

May as well get it in the works since you're going to do it anyway. Why wait?

Edited by bouhunter

Just heard on the news today, something you wouldn't think about but with the budget issues and possible (not probable) government shutdown on Tuesday, the news made special note that all passport applications/renewals will be delayed if the shutdown occurs.

I was going to post the same thing.....they advice not to apply or renew passports.

Both our passports expired earlier this year. I renewed both this month. We got them back 13 days after I mailed the old passports and forms. Old passports with holes punched in them arrived about a week later. I took our photos with my cell phone. They were taken in the garage (only white wall). I used the passport site photo tool and printed them on photo paper in my printer. No problem. Took about a dozen photos of the Dear Wife, she spent a couple days deciding which one to use (like it really mattered). Save some bucks and print your own photos.

Yeah I would be nervous with the potential government shutdown looming. I would pay the $60 just for peace of mind...

So would I.

I think OP is already cutting it close with their cruise in 9 weeks' time. Of course no one wants to pay an extra $60.00 for expedited service but you get what you pay for, and in this case you are paying for peace of mind.

Welcome to Cruise Critic...No need to pay the "rush fee" you will have it in plenty of time to provide your info online to RCI...We're getting ready for the eastern caribbean in a few days so I understand your excitement...Enjoy !!

This is true.... But, if the nuts in Washington decide to be stubborn and cause the govt to shut down for some period of time, it is unlikely that any passports will be processed during that time. And when they finally open up again, there will be a big backlog and delays...

They will only allow you to order an expedited passport and pay the $60 fee if you provide proof of travel within two weeks.

The proof of travel is sent with your documents, they don't take the application agencies' word for it.

I could be wroing, but I see absolutely nothing here (or on the application itself) about a requirement that you be traveling in less than two weeks to pay the extra 60.00 for an expedited passport. There is some language about who and when to contact if you're travelling within 14 days, but that is NOT related to the option of requesting an expedited passport if you're willing to pay extra. There is also no reference whatsover here or on the form about providing proof of travel date in relation to paying for expedited service.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html