novaLady

Carnival Breeze or RC Freedom of the Seas  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Carnival Breeze or RC Freedom of the Seas

• Breeze
    • FOS
    • Both are great options

Just posted this on the other thread:

I'm glad I asked this question in both forums because it had helped reading peoples experiences either way.

I'm still torn however, so I'm going to keep researching it and eventually just make a decision.

From pictures alone, I don't like the closed in look of FOS. I believe someone referred to it as a shopping mall. I would hate this. Also we are going during the NFL season and I know my family will want to watch the games. Apparently, there are no sports bars on FOS...

However, I really want to try RC to see what I could be missing out on.

As far as itineraries, here are the options:

FOS: 7 nt, St maarten, St. Thomas, coco cay

Breeze: 8nt, puerto Rico, st maarten, st Kitts, Grand Turk

Breeze: 6nt Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Key West

Price for 8nt is about $50/pp higher than FOS and $150/pp higher than 6nt

now you got me sold on the breeze after the itinerary. St. Kitts is beautiful! Grand turk is a lot of fun being able to swim close to the ship and Puerto rico has amazing forts (and food lol) plus the Bacardi rum factory which is free.

If the prices are close, including taking into account airfare, go with freedom. If breeze is significantly cheaper, go with that.

I simply don't agree with the shopping mall comments. There's way more open deck space on freedom (or any rccl ships) than the dream class ships. When I was on the dream, we were next to freedom ots one day in port and it was just overwhelming how much nicer it looked when we were side by side. We swore we wouldn't do carnivals again after our less than exceptional experience on the dream. I also disagree with the food comparison. It seems like over the past few years, royals food has improved and carnivals got worse.

However, we got our next cruise pretty much for free so we are giving the dream another chance. In my opinion, the two lines don't compare. But then again, there's a lot to be said for a really cheap cruise.

I didn't feel that way at all. When I sailed the FOS, you couldn't eat outside. there were no tables, and all the food was inside the windjammer. I really like eating outside on the lido deck. the promandae did feel like a mall, but that didn't bother me. when I step onto a carnival ship, I always get the "wow" factor, I didn't get that when I stepped on FOS

I didn't feel that way at all. When I sailed the FOS, you couldn't eat outside. there were no tables, and all the food was inside the windjammer. I really like eating outside on the lido deck. the promandae did feel like a mall, but that didn't bother me. when I step onto a carnival ship, I always get the "wow" factor, I didn't get that when I stepped on FOS

Eh you know different people prefer different things I guess. I couldn't care less about eating outside. I usually want a break from being in the sun all day. But I hate the lack of pool space on dream ships. Id much prefer to have more pools and less outdoor eating space. To each his own. :)

Been on the Liberty of the Seas, which I believe is the sister ship to the Freedom of the Seas. Just returned from a Breeze cruise.

Very, very similar cruise experiences.

The Breeze is a beautiful ship.

Liberty wasn't a slouch either.

Probably give a slight nod to the Breeze for service. They're equal for food.

Entertainment, there's more of it on the Breeze. But, the Liberty had fewer, but more elaborate productions. All of the entertainment is talented and enjoyable.

Personally, I'd pick the itinerary you like first, and then look at which one fits in your budget the best, for the category of cabin you want.

In short, I think you'll like whichever one you choose. THey both offer a similar experience (just in different ways:D).

We went on the Breeze as a multi-generational family and everyone loved it. We had return cruisers and new. The waterworks was a hit with everyone except Grandma who didn't try it. Loved the rest of the sports deck.

Yes, Lido is crowded from about Noon on but we chose to go early. We are early risers, early to bed so nighttime entertainment is not an issue with us. We caught a few of the family comedy shows and all enjoyed. My BIL went to one of the adult ones and enjoyed.

We love the food on Carnival. We are not foodies but enjoy a good meal.

We did not see low-class or trashy people as some on the RCCL board are stating. We are certainly not that way. We value our vacation time as a family and spend what we can. Carnival offers more ships to different ports in the summer than the other lines so we choose to sail with them.

We looked at Oasis or Allure and the cost for 3 in a balcony was $2000 more than an 8 night on Breeze. I'm pretty sure the experience does not warrant that much more money especially when I have read that for a decent meal you have to go to the upcharge restaurants. No thanks.

Whatever decision you make I am sure you will make great family memories and have a good time.

We went on the Breeze as a multi-generational family and everyone loved it. We had return cruisers and new. The waterworks was a hit with everyone except Grandma who didn't try it. Loved the rest of the sports deck.

Yes, Lido is crowded from about Noon on but we chose to go early. We are early risers, early to bed so nighttime entertainment is not an issue with us. We caught a few of the family comedy shows and all enjoyed. My BIL went to one of the adult ones and enjoyed.

We love the food on Carnival. We are not foodies but enjoy a good meal.

We did not see low-class or trashy people as some on the RCCL board are stating. We are certainly not that way. We value our vacation time as a family and spend what we can. Carnival offers more ships to different ports in the summer than the other lines so we choose to sail with them.

We looked at Oasis or Allure and the cost for 3 in a balcony was $2000 more than an 8 night on Breeze. I'm pretty sure the experience does not warrant that much more money especially when I have read that for a decent meal you have to go to the upcharge restaurants. No thanks.Whatever decision you make I am sure you will make great family memories and have a good time.

I have read that all Carnival cruises are party til you puke cruises. If you've read it on the internet it must be true.:)

Bill

We looked at Oasis or Allure and the cost for 3 in a balcony was $2000 more than an 8 night on Breeze. I'm pretty sure the experience does not warrant that much more money especially when I have read that for a decent meal you have to go to the upcharge restaurants. No thanks.

We thought that the price difference was worth it! :D Our Allure cruise was twice as much as our Dream cruise and it was worth every single penny.

About the food, we tried most of the alternative restaurants on the Allure (except for 150 Central Park) and we thought that in general, the free venues were actually better than the " for fee" venues so that was one myth debunked. The Steakhouse is one aspect of Carnival cruising that is definitely superior than Royal Caribbean.

With 24 places to eat on the Allure, if you can't find something to your liking, you're determined not to like anything.

We thought that the price difference was worth it! :D Our Allure cruise was twice as much as our Dream cruise and it was worth every single penny.

About the food, we tried most of the alternative restaurants on the Allure (except for 150 Central Park) and we thought that in general, the free venues were actually better than the " for fee" venues so that was one myth debunked. The Steakhouse is one aspect of Carnival cruising that is definitely superior than Royal Caribbean.

With 24 places to eat on the Allure, if you can't find something to your liking, you're determined not to like anything.

I wish my personal finances could justify upping our travel budget but if I paid that much more for our summer vacation we wouldn't get our annual Fall Break trip. I vote for 2 vacations a year!

If Carnival doesn't return to Europe in 2016 we will most likely try RCCL as their ships look nicer than the NCL Spirit for a 12-day itinerary.

Off topic somewhat, but DW and I actually liked the Mariner of the Seas better than Freedom of the Seas.

I haven't sailed FOS before but from the plans, it's seems to be just an extended version of the MOS. We too, absolutely LOVE the MOS having sailed in an inside and a balcony on the Hump. Just love the adult pool up front away from the racket and the Promenade!

I haven't sailed the breeze, but have sailed the magic and dream. I have never had an issue with carnival, always had great service, food, shows etc. I have never felt crowded on the ship either. Has every carnival cruise been perfect? no. but if I had a problem, they took care of it asap.

My own opinion of the FOS was that I did not like that if you wanted pizza, you had to go down several decks inside to get it. it wasn't available near the pool area. I didn't like they had their hamburgers sitting under heat lamps, that was gross. The service in the main dining room was awful. If you have anytime dining on RCL, you must prepay tips. (we found that out when we decided to pay in cash since our waiter and room steward were AWFUL), we were disappointed in that. The shows were so-so (my mom didn't like them at all). our bathroom ceiling leaked, and when we brought that to their attention, they never did do anything. the halls smelled like urine. I didn't like the pools on the FOS, deck and windjammer café were packed, johnny rockets always had at least a 40 minute wait. I felt RCL didn't have as many activities going on at night or trivia's, which is what I like. disembarking was a nightmare, same with embarking (something happened with my sail card, when the first rcl employee took my pic, something happened...lord knows what). One thing I did enjoy was the flow rider, watching people on that cracked me up

I said I was swearing off RCL after that. well, I gave them another chance...NOW I can officially say..im done with them

This was my opinion and what I have encountered on my cruise. FOS is a beautiful ship, I just have had the worst service with RCL

It' s a wonder that they're still in business. :rolleyes:

If you can drive to Port Canaveral why couldn't you drive to Miami? It's about a 3 hour drive distance and can save on the overall cost. Although, I haven't sailed on any, I would pick the Breeze because it does seem to have more to do for kids.

I can relate to the OP. For us it's 7 hours to Port Canaveral and almost 11 to Miami. Big difference when you're traveling with kids. We can do the drive to Port Canaveral in one day without the kids melting down, but not the drive to Miami. We'd need to split it in two days and add a hotel stay somewhere. For Port Canaveral we drive. For Miami, we fly.

About activities for the kids: Freedom of the Seas provides Adventure Ocean, the H2O Zone and the Dreamworks Experience. In addition, they also have the Royal Babies and Tots program for kids starting at 6 months of age. I wrote about my experience with this program on my Allure review (link below), but I can tell you that, overall, the offerings for kids on Royal are light years ahead of Carnival's kids program. There's absolutely no comparison.

Are you sure you were on RCI? No wow factor?

You always get wow factor on CCL?

If the shows on RCI are so-so what did you think of the shows on CCL?

Bill

If you can drive to Port Canaveral why couldn't you drive to Miami? It's about a 3 hour drive distance and can save on the overall cost. Although, I haven't sailed on any, I would pick the Breeze because it does seem to have more to do for kids.

PC is about 13 hours for us, so Miami is 16. Way longer than I'd like.

It is more common for RC fans to invade a Carnival board vs. the opposite.

Maybe, but looking at the cruise history of many of the posters,shows a good mixture of both lines by many cruisers. I don't have a Brand Loyalty, but I also can understand if someone does. DW and I like RCI and CCL, and are Platinum on both.

I have 3 times the number of Carnival cruises than Royal Caribbean but I voted for FOS. It's not a conspiracy by RC fans.

Hi see you have returned to this thread but still didn't give a reason why you say Breeze hands down.

You also say Muami is terrible to cruise out of but you still pucked the Breeze.:confused:

I also saw in a thread earlier today that you see a bright future for Carnival even though prices are down and will continue to be down through the next year.

What is your optimism based on?

Bill

Is that from some sort of scientific experiment in your 1 month on CC? I've read this thread on both boards and I only see one person posting on a board of a cruise line they have never sailed. You. And don't go trying to say you've sailed RCI. It's too late for that now.

As one of the only few people who has actually been on both of these ships, I provided a side by side comparison the way I saw it. Unless you can do the same, which you can't, perhaps you should tone down the cheerleading.

Oh, and maybe start by answering the others' questions.

Archived