Viking Rhine after Christmas

orangeterebear

We've just booked our first river cruise! Leaving 12/27/13 from Amsterdam. Anyone else joining us or have any sage advice?

Did this cruise last year, the December 2 sailing - it was absolutely wonderful! Ship is lovely, itinerary is great! Pack layers - you will need them - and waterproof shoes. I hope some of the christmas markets are still up for your sailing, they were fabulous. Enjoy your cruise! :D

• 2 months later...

We leave this Wednesday for the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam. I'm hoping to post while away if the internet and my tablet cooperate - and there's time! This will be our 2nd RC and first on the Rhine so right now I don't have much advice but hope I can help in my postings.

Amsterdam, however, is a different story. We've been there twice because of cruises and just love it - great city - hope you're going early to really enjoy it!!

Hello orangeterebear,

We've just booked our first river cruise! Leaving 12/27/13 from Amsterdam. Anyone else joining us or have any sage advice?

Your counter says 25th December, but you say 27th. Are you leaving the States on the 25th?

If you have a detailed itinerary yet, check the times when you are in the respective ports of call. Some still have Christmas markets or ice rinks open. Almost all Christmas markets close on the 23rd in Germany. Worth looking at the Amsterdam official website how they celebrate:

http://www.amsterdam.info/events/christmas/

As you will be travelling shortly after the winter solstice there won't be much sunlight, or sunshine possibly. Sunrise on Monday is at 8.10am and sunset at 4.28pm. Still getting less and less of course.

I assume you will be celebrating New Year's Eve on the ship. If you are in Germany then, you will hopefully be moored in a place with lots of fireworks displays by the locals. Must be fantastic seeing them from the ship!

Enjoy your cruise.

notamermaid

River water level still falling slightly. Fine for sailing.

foto peg,

have you done a posting here or on TA about Amsterdam? Favorite things to do, how to see the city on our own (hoho or canal trip), where to stay?

We will be spending 2 days post Viking's Budapest to Amsterdam in October.

We leave this Wednesday for the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam. I'm hoping to post while away if the internet and my tablet cooperate - and there's time! This will be our 2nd RC and first on the Rhine so right now I don't have much advice but hope I can help in my postings.

Amsterdam, however, is a different story. We've been there twice because of cruises and just love it - great city - hope you're going early to really enjoy it!!

Yes we add the Amsterdam pre-cruise extension.

foto peg,

have you done a posting here or on TA about Amsterdam? Favorite things to do, how to see the city on our own (hoho or canal trip), where to stay?

We will be spending 2 days post Viking's Budapest to Amsterdam in October.

Yes, any tips?

Notamermaid, yes we leave the states on the 25th and will arrive if Amsterdam early on the 26th. We'll have 2 full days to explore since the Alta does not leave until late on the 27th. This is our first river cruise. Friends think we're a little crazy to be going in late December but it was such a good deal and my honey and I are pretty adventurous and don't let little things like cold or snow spoil our fun! I am hoping that Christmas decorations at least will still be up. Thank you for the link.